WQMA's Second 8-Track Thursday will be the BEST EVER

Old September 2nd 05, 12:30 AM
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:39:15 GMT, "Andy" wrote:

any one list the gas prices since the hurracane in maine whare iam from it
went from 2.35 a gallon to 3.15 over night snip

It's 3.05/3.10 here, too, and we're not effected by the Colonial
pipeline shutdown at all. It's the oil companies profiteering again,
just like the OPEC embargo in '74 and again in '78. You'd think we
would've convert to ethanol by now...but nooooo...stupid people can't
remember that far back!

dB
Old September 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
66fourdoor

correction- just hit 3.26 for regular at some places here, with some
stations holding at 2.99

Old September 2nd 05, 08:07 AM
Andy

oures is up to 3.65 in places

oups.com...

Old September 2nd 05, 08:08 AM
Andy

ok thanks for the information maine is up to $3.65 and up in a lot of places
i wounder how long it will be befoer it comes down

Old September 2nd 05, 01:33 PM
66fourdoor

no relief in site until 2008-2010, that's how long it will take to
build new refineries so they can get production up enough to bring the
price down

I have an acquaintance in the coal/fuel oil business and he keeps track
of this stuff, it's his livelihood.

there's plenty of crude in the ground- they just can't get it out and
refined fast enough to meet demand- one reason is, southeast Asia has
started using cars too- and now has a burgeoning demand for fuel of its
own- previously those people walked or rode bicycles.

Old September 2nd 05, 08:10 PM
bicycle

66fourdoor wrote:
no relief in site until 2008-2010, that's how long it will take to
build new refineries so they can get production up enough to bring the
price down

I have an acquaintance in the coal/fuel oil business and he keeps track
of this stuff, it's his livelihood.

there's plenty of crude in the ground- they just can't get it out and
refined fast enough to meet demand- one reason is, southeast Asia has
started using cars too- and now has a burgeoning demand for fuel of its
own- previously those people walked or rode bicycles.

I was saying this over a year ago but no one cared because most people
cannot see past today.

From: (R.White)
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
Subject: Don't Buy A Prius To Save On Gas... Automobile Magazine
Date: 16 May 2004 12:52:10 -0700

"JerryL" wrote in message

We are forgetting one thing. Losing our dependency on the oil barons.

We could have done that years ago but people don't want to walk to
the store, carpool, take a bus or ride a bike to work.

People didn't want a fuel efficient vehicle as long as gas was cheap
and plentiful, not keeping in mind it is a finite resource and we
import
way too much. Driving a flashy new status symbol is all that mattered.

It may cost us more now but in the long run we'll come out ahead.

When? What's going to happen when a billion chinese have the means to
go for a Sunday drive? China's rapid economical growth is already
having
a huge impact on steel supplies and prices. What resource will be
next? Bicycles are being banned in cities as more and more people have
the
means to purchase a car.
At present, China consumes 8% of the worlds oil, but accounted for 37%
of
the growth in world oil consumption over the last four years. It's
going
to get a lot worse before the technology is availiable to make it
better.

Old September 3rd 05, 12:18 AM
DeserTBoB

On 2 Sep 2005 12:10:55 -0700, "bicycle"
wrote:

66fourdoor wrote:
no relief in site until 2008-2010, that's how long it will take to
build new refineries so they can get production up enough to bring the
price down snip

More stupid logic. The key is to get OFF of petroleum, period, and in
the meantime, have our spineless Justice Department break up the oil
and gas conglomerates. The State of California for years has
maintained a fleet of "dual fuel" vehicles that burned ethanol, just
like ALL the automobiles in Brazil have since the '70s. Due to an oil
lap dog in the White House, this got poo-pooed (the new favorite in
here) and now he's caught with his dong caught in his zipper. Look
for Bush's approval ratings to crash into his Rove-created "base
number" of 40% this week and head for historic lows, probably in the
low 30s.

there's plenty of crude in the ground- they just can't get it out and
refined fast enough to meet demand- snip

Where? In unreachable places? From played out wells that need steam
just to get the residium out of them? In the Gult of Mexico?
HAHA...that doesn't work too well, does it? With global warming
(which George "F.W." Bush says doesn't exist), we'll have more
hurricanes blowing more oil platforms ashore out of the Gulf, just
like we saw during Katrina. Didn't you read where the Saudis are now
announcing that they will no longer be able to supply export crude
needs to the US after 2015? Oh, that's right. Noodles doesn't read.

I was saying this over a year ago but no one cared because most people
cannot see past today. snip

Of course not. The biggest problem now is the megamergers in the
entire energy sector, stifling competition and allowing multinational
megacorporations to set the prices wherever they want them. It was
bad enough in the '70s, now it's even worse. Even before the damage
to the Gulf Coast refineries and the power outages to the Colonial
pipeline pumping stations was even known, oil companies were ordering
retailers to "crack" the $3/gallon barrier for gasoline.

We are forgetting one thing. Losing our dependency on the oil barons. snip

So what do the stupid Americans do? They allow an oil baron lap dog
to be president! As far as I'm concerned, let the friggin' gasoline
go to $10 a gallon. Hell, let it go to $20! Maybe it'll get the
idiot electorate off their asses and finally realize that
corporate-owned politicians need to be recalled and impeached en
masse. One thing's clear...in MA and CA during the last couple of
days, consumption is markedly down...WAY down. Let the price go
wherever those ****head corporate *******s want! They'll be their own
worst enemies in short order. Same go for these morons that drive to
their mailbox in an SUV almost the size of Half Dome in Yosemite.
Screw 'em...crush the SUVs, harvest the corn, get the ethanol flowing!
Hell, ethanol fuel in Kansas is now $2.19/gal while gas is over $3 and
rising.

It may cost us more now but in the long run we'll come out ahead.

When? What's going to happen when a billion chinese have the means to
go for a Sunday drive? China's rapid economical growth is already
having
a huge impact on steel supplies and prices. snip

Example: Near me, a new tract of homes to be built of reinforced
concrete construction using cutting edge design and far more energy
efficient than conventional frame houses was ready to be built. What
happened then? China. Remember that huge dam project they've got
going? They've driven the price of concrete and steel rebar up as
much as 500% in West Coast markets. The developer went belly up in a
month, thanks to China. Every time stupid Americans go to Wally-Fart
and load up with that cheap Chinese crap, they help the Chinese ruin
our economy that much more. What was George "F.W." Bush's response
today? Gee, maybe we DO need to limit their textile imports to the
US! Duhhhhhhhhh....

What resource will be
next? Bicycles are being banned in cities as more and more people have
the
means to purchase a car.
At present, China consumes 8% of the worlds oil, but accounted for 37%
of
the growth in world oil consumption over the last four years. It's
going
to get a lot worse before the technology is availiable to make it
better. snip

A helluva lot worse, because Americans are too stupid to see much past
their noses, and have an effective memory span of about six months.
In the late '70s, we had a program to start a national ethanol
production and distribution system that was planned to eventually
phase out gasoline consumption by US citizens, replacing it with
ethanol. Ethanol was test marketed in California, and problems with
high volatility due to carbureted fuel delivery were noted, but it was
also noted that new, digitally controlled fuel injection systems were
right around the corner (analog, like the Bosch L-Jetronic, had been
in Japanese cars since 1975), and fuel injected cars use ethanol very
well. What happened? The Americans elected the Alzheimer's poster
boy, whose handlers promptly scrapped EVERY alternative fuel project
the US government had going...all at the behest of the oil barons. If
you'll check your history, you'll see that Bush was in that crowd back
then, involved in a stock swindle right around that time. Had the
Alzheimer's boy lost in '80, we'd be driving on corn by now at around
a buck a gallon.

How about that Sean Han-ratty? He melted down on Faux radio today,
deriding the New Oreleans mayor and his citizens, because the mayor
had the audacity to criticize the snail's pace response from FEMA and
the National Guard. Han-ratty's broadcast career will be over soon,
thus freeing up more of the AM radio spectrum for better things!
Meanwhile, over on Air America, the question is continually asked:
WHY did President George "F.W" Bush hack an Army Corps of Engineers
emergency allocation of $58 million million to maintain and improve
New Orleans' dike and canal system by more that 60% last year? The
record shows he clearly did the same in previous years. Answer: his
Iraq folly came first...gotta get "Cheneyburton" into those fields,
you know! Funny thing is, New Orleans voted for the *******. Now
he's attacking his own base, and they didn't even know it...until too
late.

Fact: Flush Liimpdick's ratings are down over 40% in major markets
all over the country. An air check of him yesterday show him to be
more deluded and paranoid than ever, and is most probably back on the
dope again. Fact: Sean Han-ratty's are down over 60% in some
markets, and is at least down by double digits in ALL markets. His
meltdown today will probably cost him even more market share. Go
check it out in the Arbitron book. Looks like "Nudo-style" politics
on the air is over.

dB
Old September 3rd 05, 05:42 PM
66fourdoor

Ricky that is a very good post.

And there's even more to the dark side of the oil situation.

Back in 1944, Hitler had the best tanks, planes, and best trained army,
navy, and air force. The way the Allies beat the Germans was, we cut
off their fuel supply and bombed/destroyed what fuel refineries they
did have. During the Battle of the Bulge, Eisenhower simply let the
German advance grind to a halt when it ran out of gas- then bombed them
into submission with air power. If the Germans had the fuel, they
would have tossed the Allies back into the English Channel. Their
Tiger and Panther tanks were superior, and they already had jet
fighters ME262's- but with no fuel to use them.

The USA armed forces face the same dilemma today. Our military
strategic fuel reserve, if released to general consumption, would only
last 60 days. Then what would we do ? When it's gone, our armed
forces are naked to an enemy attack, be it from China, Russia, or a
middle eastern Arab state. What good is an Abrams tank or F-22
fighter, with no fuel-we'd suffer the same crushing defeat that Hitler
did in WWII. And Russia has WAY MORE oil than we do, to fight a
conventional war with. Rest assured all eyes are on us, waiting,
watching- to see just how weak we get from this fuel disruption. It's
the law of the jungle.

We need to get drilling domestically, in the Gulf of Mexico, in Alaska,
and in every state park if need be- because the only way to bring the
price down, is to increase the supply. Oil is the fuel that drives
this engine of Democracy. The reason we enjoyed the "boom years" of
the 1940's and 50's, was because we had a huge domestic oil supply. We
need to get back to that. Oil is this country's Achilles' heel.