WQMA's Second 8-Track Thursday will be the BEST EVER

Old August 27th 05, 08:16 PM
Jason K

Default WQMA's Second 8-Track Thursday will be the BEST EVER

Hi,

This week we'll be playing 8-Tracks that you've donated from the
Jackson 5 to Foreigner to Kenny Rogers, and we'll be playing them all.
Our motto is that we'll play any tape that someone sends us.

Our address is:

WQMA
1820 West Marks Road
Marks, MS 38646

And here's a new bonus. Everyone that donates at least one tape within
the next two Thursday radio shows will be entered into a giveaway for
a chance to win a prize. We've been promised a couple new official
copies of the upcoming DVD release of the movie "SO WRONG THEY'RE
RIGHT" from www.othercinemadvd.com

We're going to give one of them away to a random donator. All of your
names go into a jar to be picked from. And the odds of winning this
one are very good. We just want to give people a little extra of a
reason to search their closets to find some great 8-track
cartridges/players for everyone in the 8-Track Community to enjoy.

We will also be providing a review of the movie on our show Thursday,
and going into some other 8-Track topics from various websites as well
as this newsgroup!

WQMA is like an online superstation with topname national
personalities like DICK CLARK, CASEY KASEM, DICK BARTLEY, DR DEMENTO,
and more. We have just announced that the WOLFMAN JACK SHOW will begin
on WQMA this Monday! And the best local programming too during the
weekdays like JASON AND JENNIFER IN THE AFTERNOON. Be sure to visit us
online at http://www.q1520radio.com for 8-Track Thursday beginning at
1pm central time on Thursday, September 1st, and thanks for your
support.
Old August 27th 05, 10:06 PM
66FOURDOOR

awesome cool ! looking forward to the next show- hope I can record
that one as well !

Old August 28th 05, 09:56 PM

Jason, so glad to hear it went well! I hope WQMA's listeners know how
lucky they are that they have a raido station willing to do something a
little different. Such a thing is getting harder and harder to find!

Maybe this winter when things slow down at my job and I get some time
off I might actually get to hear it.

wishing you continued good luck...!

nldc

Old August 29th 05, 03:14 AM
DeserTBoB

On 28 Aug 2005 13:56:03 -0700, wrote:

Jason, so glad to hear it went well! I hope WQMA's listeners know how
lucky they are that they have a raido station willing to do something a
little different. Such a thing is getting harder and harder to find! snip

According to the LA Times yesterday, that might be changing soon.
Right wing talk radio has taken a huge hit in Arbitron ratings in the
last sweeps. "Flush" Limbaugh is down up to 43% in major markets, and
Sean Hannity, once thought to be able to eclipse "Flush," sank even
lower...63% in Minneapolis, 60% in LA, similar numbers everywhere.

What's this mean? I think it might mean that AM right wing talk radio
is a dead duck. No one's willing to speculate as yet as to why it's
dying off so quickly, but you can bet that when the next ad cards come
out, there will be significant downward pressure in AM talk stations'
revenues from advertisers. This means that old-time "all over the
road" programming, like what WQMD is doing, may have a chance at a
resurgence as "Queer Channel" and "Infoolity" drop AM properties like
hot rocks for cheap. The possible downside is that these licenses
will then go to even more hispanic and "church nut" broadcasters, who
have oversaturated the band in many markets as it is. OTOH,
independants could pick up the properties for a song, although many AM
stations' physical condition is pretty deplorable. Many secondary
stations, with towers and studios dating from the '40s and before, are
facing collapsing towers and decrepit buildings as part of what's to
offer...not an appealing choice for a small-time operator.

Corporate broadcasters aren't going to hold AM properties much longer.
What tips me off to this is the decision by Infinity to not bother
rebulding the huge full wave tower of KFI in Los Angeles, recently
felled by an errant private pilot. The tower, a guy wired monster and
the tallest on the Pacific Coast, lays in heaps on the ground while
KFI, who recently dumped their 1930s era studios set up for live
broadcasts for "office space" in a Burbank office building, is going
to suffer a huge loss of ad revenue as Rush Limbaugh's program sinks
into the ratings toilet. Infinity won't put up with for very long
without making major programming changes. Add to this the fact that
KFI's once huge coverage area of 11 western states at night is now,
even at 50 KW, limited to the Nevada border on a good night, due to
broadcasting from a much shorter backup tower.

If that's happening in one of the biggest radio markets in the
country, imagine how many little 500 watt daytimers out there in 3rd
market territory will be on the market, or at least looking for a big
change in programming. A local 1 KW station here just got dumped by
"Queer Channel" as an all sports outlet, and local operators have
applied for the license, promising an "all over the road" format,
including big band music and live local school sports coverage.
Should be interesting to see if they can make it work.

One thing the mega broadcasters did that has permanently damaged the
viability of radio on either band as an important medium: the gutting
of news coverage except for "all news" stations in major markets. All
the way into the '70s, most AM stations still had at least a UPI
teletype and a Magnecord "actuary" recorder to cobble together
newscasts, but the big broadcasters considered news to just be an
expense. They got rid of it, and now, the public no longer considers
radio "important." I can remember, not long ago, that when a lot of
people would hear about important news, they'd say, "I heard it on the
radio." No longer, unless they're listening to an all news station,
and I notice that Infinity is starting to chip away at those, as well.
Most people now are getting their news either from the Internet or TV.
In the case of the former, this isn't good, as adherence to
journalistic standards on net "blogs" and the like is even worse than
that of Limbaugh and other AM radio whackos...which is to say, nil.

For clarification of those of no clue, Rush Limbaugh and his ilk are
NOT "news." They are self-described "entertainment," and bad
entertainment at that, with about 55% of what Limbaugh espouses as
"fact" being false, according to factcheck.org. People are finally
getting sick of it, and now, the chickens are coming home to roost
right on that sacred cow of all broadcast operations, the ad rate
card. What this doesn't explain, however, is why Air America, the
left-leaning counterweight to all the right wingers, is now on 70
stations every day and is gaining in major markets listener share,
while the established right wingers have lost almost half their
audience. Personally, I don't think either of them are viable
commercially in the near future...the days of mindless talk radio are
about over....thankfully!

dB
Old August 29th 05, 10:47 AM
lennon fan

WQMA's Second 8-Track Thursday will be the BEST EVER

Group: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes Date: Sun, Aug 28, 2005, 7:14pm
(EDT-3) From: (DeserTBoB)

and can I get a big AMEN to that!!

Old September 1st 05, 12:42 AM
66fourdoor

I just emailed Jason and he replied- the station made it through the
hurricane, and was only down about 8 hours from it.

The 8-track show for tomorrow is a go !

tune in !

Old September 1st 05, 08:39 AM
Andy

any one list the gas prices since the hurracane in maine whare iam from it
went from 2.35 a gallon to 3.15 over night

ups.com...

Old September 1st 05, 01:50 PM
66fourdoor

ours hit 2.99, up from 2.56 before storm

that figures, because EIGHT refineries down there were put out of
commission or abandoned

a local gas station owner was on TV this morning- he said he had to
raise it up 20 cents along with everyone else, if he didn't all his gas
would be sold at the cheaper price in one day, and he could not refill
his underground tanks if he sold out- he didn't know where to get his
next shipment from

there is now a moderate fuel distribution problem, as overland
pipelines in that area have also been affected- some of those have been
in operation since the 1940's

Old September 1st 05, 07:06 PM
66fourdoor

I'm plugged into the web streamer link, getting the reception
excellent- and my 8-track Roberts 808D recorder is rolling ! let 'er
rip- it's time for 8-track Thursday #2 !