FORUM ISSUE: Please refrain from off-topic discussions.

Old December 5th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

Default FORUM ISSUE: Please refrain from off-topic discussions.

In , on 12/04/2010
at 08:12 PM, "Bremick" said:

A foolproof solution for those of you who encounter an unwanted OT post
in RCC or notice that a coin-related thread has wandered OT is to simply
ignore it. Nothing fancy. No killfiles, psychological poster analysis, or
posted rants necessary. Just ignore the damn thing. When these threads
prosper, there obviously are some RCC'ers who must enjoy them. If you're
not one of them, i-g-n-o-r-e the posts and stop whining like you're being

Well, I suppose that's one way to do it. However, when 60-70-80% of those
posts ARE the ones you want to ignore, why put any energy at all into
reading the subjects, over and over again? Automate, man. This is why
newsreaders have the feature ... it's simply part of the tool set. Use the
right tool for the right job. You can change a tire with the tire iron
provided with the car, and some would say that's "foolproof", but a
tire-cross (assuming a lack of available power tools) is so much more
quicker and efficient.

You know you can kill by poster OR subject/thread, right?

Sure, we should all stop complaining about the f-word abusers, or "Beanie"
and his gun-in-mouth suggestions. Yes, sadly, some RCC'ers (as if there is
some kind of official group or something) do enjoy this kind of stuff.

I'd prefer to call 'em like I see 'em ( psychological poster analysis),
and then killfile. You do it your way, and suggest that way to others, and
I'll do the same. I still contend that my way works better ... although the
pre-twit-analysis is an optional component.

forced to read every thing you see here. Personally, I would rather follow
most non-political OT threads here than read repetative posts that steer
people to one's latest eBay auctions.

Which are, interestingly enough, on topic. Go figure. I'm still scratching
my head, assuming you're not referring to me, as I've posted 4-5 auction
posts in the last 6 weeks (from memory). None for 2 years before that.
Well, no, it doesn't matter. Auction posts are still, at least, on-topic.
As is whining about the way the newsgroup is or isn't working. Can I say
"go figure" again?

Nick
Old December 5th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 12/4/2010 12:31 PM, socraticquest wrote:
How can discussion threads be closed to additonal comments?

Need to close discussion thread 'Do COINSTAR Machines Reject Error
Coins?'

Too many off-topic responses!

Thank-you

As everybody is when they start, you seem to be a beginner with Usenet.
It has been around for a long time, but through Google Groups mostly it
still attracts some newcomers.

Usenet unlike most other online forums these days isn't moderated or
controlled in virtually any way. Individuals can block other users, but
users can pretty much do anything they want, including hiding behind
anonymous handles and wildly cross-posting to other groups having
nothing to do with what they're saying.

Thus Usenet attracts those people who want to be able to do anything
they want, and as we're seeing here it attracts some of the worst kinds
of people, those full of hatred, bigotry, and intolerance, those
seething with anger who use Usenet to vent what can only be personal
failings and weaknesses, and those who genuinely appear to have some
kind of mental illness. Healthy, happy people don't act in the ways we
see, in this thread, in many other threads in this newsgroup, and in
many other unmoderated Usenet newsgroups.

It's nearly certain that this commentary will elicit more venom, but you
should know that venom to a large degree is what Usenet has evolved
into. It always has had this to some degree, just never this bad, as
more and more people who don't like it move on to other kinds of online
discussion groups that have been set up specifically to rein in such
behavior, which causes the wrathful to be in the majority on Usenet or
at least appear this way due to the frequency of their angry posts.

You scan still find nuggets of useful information and pleasant
camaraderie -- my reason for staying -- but the reality is that with
each passing year you have to wade through more and more noxious muck to
get to it. If you don't like having to wade, there are as other have
said plenty of other types of online discussion groups about coins that
don't have the ambiance of a 16th century insane asylum.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old December 5th 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on 12/04/2010
at 08:12 PM, "Bremick" said:

[...]

If you decide to walk over to join in a conversation with some smokers,
don't complain about the smoke. If you know it will bother you, don't walk
over there. No tools or automation required. No energy expended either.
Just common sense.

[...]

I think you'll find that this newsgroup is working the way it was designed
to. It's an unregulated and informal forum for people interested in coins.
That interest usually brings most people here out of curiosity. It
inevitably brings all types of people, too, from scholars to wackos. If
you're thin-skinned, this type of forum may not be for you. I suppose most
choose to lurk for a while rather than participate by posting or commenting.
There's nothing that says that those people interested in coins have to post
or comment only about coin-related things, any more than informal
conversations at a coin club meeting are limited to coin-only discussions.

I have mixed emotions about FA posts here. I usually just ignore them,
although I do admit I checked out your first recent FA post and ended up as
winning bidder in one of your auctions which I otherwise would never had
looked at. What can I say. If most of the posts here were from people
selling coins at auction, you'd probably see more complaints. If anything,
I'd rather see an RCC poster offering specific coins for sale to fellow RCC
readers rather than the "check out my auctions" posts.

Old December 5th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 12/04/2010
at 09:14 PM, "Bremick" said:

If you decide to walk over to join in a conversation with some smokers,
don't complain about the smoke. If you know it will bother you, don't walk
over there. No tools or automation required. No energy expended either.
Just common sense.

This is bit twisted ... backwards. First, I would certainly not walk over
to a group of smokers, who would no-doubt be pushed out in some remote
corner of the parking lot (well, that's how they do it at work). They have
their own little area if they care to smoke, and the workplace is
smoke-free, as its a place of work and not to smoke. There need not be any
automation ... people just follow the rules. When they come back in from
the cold, THEN maybe I'll talk to them.

This is a coin newsgroup. It's supposed to be for coin discussions. Not
for smokers, or chit-chat about childhood memories (unless about coins) or
the latest "go kill yourself" rant. I come here to read about coins and ask
related questions. There are "other areas" for idle chit-chat, tons of
them. Unfortunately, the rules are harder to enforce here ... everyone
thinks they can make them up themselves. People who follow the rules simply
use tools to automate. Hint: it's why the tools exist, because there is a
need for them. I didn't invent the tools; I'm just a user of them.

I think you'll find that this newsgroup is working the way it was designed
to.

No, that's not what I find. As a long time Usenet participant, I find that
there are groups that follow the rules better, and are more productive.
Specific groups were created for a reason, otherwise why have them at all?
The original design was to discourage off-topic posts. Over the years, we
have deteriorated into this. And "deteriorated" is the proper word (as long
as I've spelled it correctly . You don't design pipes to be corroded and
leaky, or call it "by design" after-the-fact.

I'd rather see an RCC poster offering specific coins for sale to fellow
RCC readers rather than the "check out my auctions" posts.

Isn't that what an auction posting here is? I mean, I'll list something,
then usually try to announce it here quickly. Do I honestly think that
someone here will end up buying anything? Not really, but if there's
something of interest to someone, what's the harm? They ARE coins afterall.
Particularly when something is listed with a realistic BIN price. I've
purchased from and sold to many RCC'ers over the years. Often "off of" eBay
but because of eBay listings. In addition to it (again) being on-topic for
this group, auction postings are very coin-productive in many ways. Unlike
trips down memory lane.

I have found great underbidder support can come from listing on RCC. Thanks
guys.

Nick
Old December 5th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message

You scan still find nuggets of useful information and pleasant camaraderie --
my reason for staying -- ...

What "pleasant camaradie" do you find here?
From what I can tell from past postings, you seem to despise everyone that posts
here and they in return seem to despise you.

Old December 5th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

at 09:14 PM, "Bremick" said:

[...]

Just because you may have too few memories of your own to share, don't let
your jealousy of other posters' recollections get the best of you. Ignore
those who don't always play here the way you'd like them to. You're always
welcome to do your own thing -- announce your auctions, critique the tone of
others' posts, or use your tools to eliminate certain posters. As regular
RCC'ers become usenet "friends", they often like to make small talk here.
Big deal. If that irritates you, go elsewhere to some moderated group that
oozes nothing but coin talk. Nobody is forcing you to lurk or post here.
If you have nothing to contribute here besides criticism and eBay notices,
that's your choice. But lighten up on others who may enjoy the occasional
chat with fellow RCC'ers that gasp may not always be a coin-related
discussion.

Old December 5th 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 12/04/2010
at 10:53 PM, "Bremick" said:

Just because you may have too few memories of your own to share, don't let
your jealousy of other posters' recollections get the best of you.

I'm sorry, but that's pathetically weak. Perhaps it's just that I have
real-life contacts to share with. It really works well, honest.

No, the proper thing is to continue to remind those making up their own
rules what, exactly, the real rules are. And if they refuse to get it, they
get killfiled. Again, you can do things however you want to, but I've got a
system that works for me. Hence, it's what I'll continue to do and suggest
to others.

Another interesting thing with killfiles is that they can be edited. I made
a pass through mine a few weeks ago and removed a couple of folks. Many
were left there as they've proven to be hopeless. But some came out. It's
easy to rethink and recheck. Constantly adjusting the tool.

I don't believe you've got anything else to add to this topic that I would
find useful. Last post included, being quite conservative. And I'm tired
of trying to talk logic against terrible analogies. Maybe someone else will
have a tidbit to add, but I'm done with you as far as this topic goes.

Nick
Old December 5th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 4, 10:01*pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
In , on 12/04/2010
* *at 10:53 PM, "Bremick" said:

[...]

Your stuff is still OVERPRICED trash trash trash, and from what I can
see, you can't even get a good price when your coin sets DO have some
silver. Selling silver sets for less than melt AND paying ebay fees.
Hope you don't do this for a living.

oly
Old December 5th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 5, 12:05*am, oly wrote:
Your stuff is still OVERPRICED trash trash trash, and from what I can
see, you can't even get a good price when your coin sets DO have some
silver. *Selling silver sets for less than melt AND paying ebay fees.
Hope you don't do this for a living.

oly- Hide quoted text -

BOYS!!! Fight nice!

Jerry
Apparently RCC's Daddy-Figure

Recent Book Discussions Scott Books 0 November 9th 06 01:51 PM
FAQ: For "Discussions" post as many times as you want in rec.collecting.cards.discuss Jeff Jacob Cards:- non-sport 4 November 6th 04 06:22 AM
off topic Mark S. Autographs 0 October 2nd 04 05:11 PM
FS: Montreal Canadiens "Forum Gift Shop" Back Issue Catalogs J.R. Sinclair Hockey 0 September 9th 04 07:17 AM