ink advice

Old June 3rd 08, 05:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

Default ink advice

Well, when DL first started posting he "called out" one of my
old posts on why I like fountain pens. In return I asked for
his reasoning and it was inks!

It's made me want to expand my color collection some...that and
my boring colors are killing my notetaking and letter writting.

I have blacks, blues, reds, green, and an orange red. I think I
I would also like purple, brown, and maybe orange. Heck, maybe
even pink...any color reccomendations are cool with me.

I was thinking the diamine orange but I'm not sure about the
purple or brown.

Out of my noodlers stash I have:

Hunter Green
Fox Red
American Eel blue
(I'm not including my highlighter ink)

These are all well behaved on my papers and only the Hunter
Green and Fox Red creep. I use the the creepy ones in hooded
nib pens, so it's no big deal. If possible I would rather avoid
it but color/non-smearing come first.

Waterproof isn't a big deal with me but it should be somewhat
sweat proof. If I need waterproof I'll just wax the paper.

So, what would you reccomend to me?

matthew
ohio
Old June 3rd 08, 08:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"MatthewK" wrote in message
[...]

Waterman's Purple is a true purple, neither too reddish nor too bluish.

Waterman's Havana or Montblanc Sepia, depending on whether you prefer a
drier ink or not.

Sheaffer's Pink was too girly for me. I decided upon Noodler's Shah's Rose.

What width nib do you prefer? The Diamine Orange is great in a Japanese
fine, looking like the rind of a tangerine or mandarin orange, but when I
used it in a Kaweco Classic fine which is like the Ice medium, it was way
too much for me in terms of boldness and intensity. I mixed 1 part Diamine
Orange with 4 parts Conway Stewart Orange and got a shade more to my liking
although it's not the orange rind shade I was looking for. It's between
orange rind and tangerine rind, bright with enough intensity without blowing
out my eyeballs.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old June 3rd 08, 09:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Sorry, the other one got away from me prematurely.

"MatthewK" wrote in message
[...]

I think spring and summer call for lighter, brighter colors which are also
good to lift spirits during the darker, winter days.

Waterman's Purple is a true purple, neither too reddish nor too bluish.
Pelikan's Violet is reddish and Noodler's Violet Vote (formerly Iraqi
Indigo) is bluish. Sheaffer's purple is a touch bluish compared to
Waterman's, but it isn't as blue as Violet Vote.

Waterman's Havana or Montblanc Sepia, depending on whether you prefer a
drier ink or not. The waterproof Noodler's are too yellowish, IMO.

Sheaffer's Turquoise is my favorite for turquoise. Montblanc's is the same
shade, but it's a drier ink. I mix the MB with the Sheaffer for a medium nib
that flows too well. I shoved PR's Daphne Blue to the back of the cupboard
for being somewhat off in shade and sluggish, feeling nearly abrasive.

Sheaffer's Pink was too girly for me. I decided upon Noodler's Shah's Rose.

I suggest you add a Burgundy. I use Noodler's, both waterproof and not.

The Noodler-SwishMix Quick Lime is a nice, bright counterpoint to your dark
green. Parker's green is emerald green, that is, a tad bluish while
Pelikan's green leans toward the yellow side. You might want to watch your
use of "regular" green for letter-writing because etiquette says that green
ink is only for Christmas.

What width nib do you prefer? The Diamine Orange is great in a Japanese
fine, looking like the rind of a tangerine or mandarin orange, but when I
used it in a Kaweco Classic fine which is like the Ice medium, it was way
too much for me in terms of boldness and intensity. I mixed 1 part Diamine
Orange with 4 parts Conway Stewart Orange and got a shade more to my liking
although it's not the orange rind shade I was looking for. It's between
orange rind and tangerine rind, bright with enough intensity without blowing
out my eyeballs.

If you want to get away from boring: Diamine's Orange and Noodler's Shah's
Rose, Quick Lime, and Bay State Blue.

HTH. YMMV. Yada-yada-yada...

Old June 3rd 08, 09:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Bluesea" wrote in message

Sheaffer's Turquoise is my favorite for turquoise. Montblanc's is the same
shade, but it's a drier ink. I mix the MB with the Sheaffer for a medium
nib
that flows too well. I shoved PR's Daphne Blue to the back of the cupboard
for being somewhat off in shade and sluggish, feeling nearly abrasive.

I forgot that I recently bought Noodler's Britannia's Blue Waves. It's also
a good turquoise and waterproof to boot.

Sheaffer's Pink was too girly for me. I decided upon Noodler's Shah's
Rose.

Noodler's Rachmaninoff is brighter and a bit lighter as well as being
waterproof.

Old June 3rd 08, 10:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Bluesea wrote:

"Bluesea" wrote in message

Sheaffer's Pink was too girly for me. I decided upon Noodler's Shah's
Rose.

Noodler's Rachmaninoff is brighter and a bit lighter as well as being
waterproof.

It's the pinkiest brightest pink I've ever seen, and it's even pinker
under a black light.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old June 3rd 08, 11:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

"MatthewK" wrote in message

It's made me want to expand my color collection some...that and
my boring colors are killing my notetaking and letter writting.

What width nib do you prefer? The Diamine Orange is great in a Japanese
fine, looking like the rind of a tangerine or mandarin orange, but when I
used it in a Kaweco Classic fine which is like the Ice medium, it was way
too much for me in terms of boldness and intensity. I mixed 1 part Diamine
Orange with 4 parts Conway Stewart Orange and got a shade more to my liking
although it's not the orange rind shade I was looking for. It's between
orange rind and tangerine rind, bright with enough intensity without blowing
out my eyeballs.

I generally prefer fine and extra fine...although with darker
colors a medium is okey too. I'm resisting the urge to buy some
more pens too...but maybe some cheaper pilots.

I'll probably respond to your post more when I have time to
read it more carefully.

matthew
ohio
Old June 4th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:44:48 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

"MatthewK" wrote in message
[...]

Never have seen Montblanc Sepia--I have Waterman's and it's fine, but
I like PR Chocolat a bit better.

Noodler's brown is pretty much bulletproof and fun to tweak with
yellow or red. Because of the bulletproof aspect, I'd pick Noodler's
brown.

Sheaffer's Pink was too girly for me. I decided upon Noodler's Shah's Rose.

I don't have either, but I've added water--water, not whiteness of the
whale--to some reds for some decent pinks. I do have whiteness of the
whale and recommend it for nothing.

Old June 4th 08, 12:14 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

The Drunken Lord wrote:
I don't have either, but I've added water--water, not whiteness of the
whale--to some reds for some decent pinks. I do have whiteness of the
whale and recommend it for nothing.

I created some tints for a card I made for a friend. I used various
amounts of whiteness to create a blue wash for the sky. It was pretty
sweet under a black light.

Old June 4th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:17:09 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
wrote:

Bluesea wrote:

"Bluesea" wrote in message

Sheaffer's Pink was too girly for me. I decided upon Noodler's Shah's
Rose.

Noodler's Rachmaninoff is brighter and a bit lighter as well as being
waterproof.

It's the pinkiest brightest pink I've ever seen, and it's even pinker
under a black light.

It's not dull like most of the eternals?
Old June 4th 08, 04:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

I like the following inks:

Purple Mojo--a very bright purple.
Purple Wampum--a good dark purple

And, as Bluesea, or somebody said, Waterman Purple. You can't go
wrong with that. But if you're looking for nonboring--Waterman Purple
is not boring, but Purple Mojo is probably the most nonboring purple
out there.

I like mixing my own purples, in the cartridge, using a syringe. You
can make it as red or as blue as you like. I like starting out with a
purple blue such as Aurora Blue. Baystate Blue is a purple blue, but
don't mix Baystate with anything except other Baystate colors. I
tried it and haven't gotten good results.

Speaking of Baystate Blue--I always thought Aurora Blue and American
Blue and DC Supershow were vibrant inks--but they all look dull beside
Baystate Blue.

You might want to check out the other Baystate colors. I don't have
them yet. Swisher's sells Noodler's cheaper than anybody.

It is very easy for me to recommend an orange. As far as
orange--there is no true orange that I've ever seen except Diamine
Orange.

I'd say if you were to buy one bottle of ink this year, get Baystate
Blue.

Advice Please Dean[_3_] General Discussion 3 September 12th 07 10:06 PM
hello, i need some advice Nick Card discussions 0 November 13th 05 06:30 AM
I need some advice. Bob Autographs 11 August 23rd 05 02:37 AM
Advice please john Jones Paper Money 0 November 11th 04 03:07 PM
Looking for Advice ... Texan in NY Coins 1 April 30th 04 10:40 PM