$$$ note question

Old August 11th 03, 11:45 PM
so ne

Default $$$ note question

Ok, went to the bank today with a note that had the last letter in the
serial and that end torn off of the one end. The rest of the note was
fine.
They said they can't accept it?
Anyone know if this is true, or ......
Thanks for any help
Doris

"I once had a rose named after me and I was flattered. But I was not
pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "no good in a bed, but
fine up against a wall". (Eleanor Roosevelt)
----------Calling all Australians!!!!--------------------
http://home.iprimus.com.au/wpbalcombe/

Old August 12th 03, 12:35 AM
MarkR

"so ne" wrote in message
Ok, went to the bank today with a note that had the last letter in the
serial and that end torn off of the one end. The rest of the note was
fine.
They said they can't accept it?
Anyone know if this is true, or ......
Thanks for any help
Doris

"I once had a rose named after me and I was flattered. But I was not
pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "no good in a bed, but
fine up against a wall". (Eleanor Roosevelt)
----------Calling all Australians!!!!--------------------
http://home.iprimus.com.au/wpbalcombe/

I guess that the bank doesn't have to take back any note that they don't
want to. I did find this on the BEP's website:

I have some currency that was damaged. My bank will not exchange it for
undamaged currency. What can I do?
The Bureau of Engraving and Printing's (BEP) Office of Currency Standards
processes all requests for reimbursement for damaged United States currency.
They decide the redemption value of torn or otherwise unfit currency by
measuring the portions of the notes submitted. Generally, they reimburse the
full face value if clearly more than one-half of the original note remains.
Currency fragments measuring less than one-half are not redeemable. For
additional information and the procedures to redeem mutilated currency.

You can go to the following link for more information:

http://www.moneyfactory.com/section.cfm/8/39

HTH,
Mark

Old August 12th 03, 01:21 AM
Dan769

I do work at a bank, and there is no reason why that note couldn't be accepted.
As long as more than half the note is there, with a complete serial number,
your good. Bank exchanges it for you, they send to the Fed as mutilated. Get
the branch manager next time.

Dan
Old August 12th 03, 11:36 AM
so ne

Thanks to all of you guys that responded.
I'm not sure how I will deal with this YET, but, when things slow down
here, I may amuse myself a little. eg After all, I am used to dealing
with vegetables!!!!
Thanks again.