1846 Seated Liberty Dollar on eBay

Old March 27th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1846 Seated Liberty Dollar on eBay

I'm looking at purchasing a Seated Liberty Dollar for a small type
collection, and am trying to spot any problems on prospective purshases. As
an example of one that caught my eye, I've pasted the link below. Do any of
the pros in the group see any glaring problems with this coin? I appreciate
it.

Old March 27th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"A newbie" happened by decided to ask:
I'm looking at purchasing a Seated Liberty Dollar for a small type
collection, and am trying to spot any problems on prospective purshases.
As
an example of one that caught my eye, I've pasted the link below. Do any
of
the pros in the group see any glaring problems with this coin? I
appreciate
it.

Sorry that no one replied before the auction ended. (At least I don't see
any replies.)

From what I can view in the photos, this looks like a really nice example
with no glaring problems. Had I been interested in bidding on the coin, I
would have written to the seller to clarify what (if any) sort of return
policy he offered on this item. There are so many hucksters and charlatans
peddling coins on eBay, had I won it, I would have wanted to weigh it upon
receipt, and have the option to return it if I were not pleased after having
the coin in hand...

Did you become the winning bidder on this one?

Señor Amistad
'joining you in not wanting the wool pulled over your eyes'

Old March 27th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hope you weren't the winning bidder. Coin has EF-40 details, not AU as
claimed, but it has been harshly cleaned. Not to say it's not without
value, but it won't be able to be ertified or graded by the top TPGs,
and the coin is worth, in my opinion, about $225 or so. Whoever bought
it thought it was worth more.

Ira

Old March 27th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ira beat me to it...I might give it an EF-45 as a "details" grade, but
it's definitely been cleaned. Problem-free seated dollars aren't easy
to find, but they do appear, and they're worth the wait.

...Tom