uncirculated penny rolls

Old July 31st 05, 10:37 PM

Default uncirculated penny rolls

Hello.

Around 1982, I purchased several rolls of uncirculated Lincoln cents
through adds in Numismatic News.

According to this link,

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.cht...ncoln_cent_mod

one 1960-D (small date) Lincoln cent in RD MS-67 condition is worth
$3000. I have 5 rolls of these, around that condition. That adds up to
$750,000 worth of pennies if my understanding of the value chart and my
arithmetic are correct.

Getting down to selling these, a buyer might say they're MS-65 RB at
best (the ones on the inside of the roll may be very close to MS-67 RD)
and offer me $5 dollars apiece (MS-65 RD are $15 apiece, so I'm going
down to $10 apiece for RB and cutting that in half for the buying
price).

Is this the probable scenerio?

Also, is the buying price about half of what the selling prices in the
link are, assuming accurate grading?

Thanks,

GS

Old July 31st 05, 10:56 PM
LM5403

First of all, you have to get the coins graded.

5 rolls of 50 coins each is 250 coins.

Let's be extremely conservative and say you can get them graded by PCGS for
10 bucks each. That's $2500 for grading fees.

Let's be extremely unconservative and say that 1/4 of them come back 67RD,
1/4 66RD, and the rest 66RB or less.

According to the PCGS prices you'd have about $200k worth of coins. Then the
only hard part is finding somebody to actually give you what the PCGS guide
says.

Looking at auction histories on different sites leads me to believe in the
above scenario you'd be holding closer to $25,000 than $750,000. That's IF
the coins came back that high. If it were that easy to get $3000 coins
everybody would be doing it.

oups.com...

Old July 31st 05, 11:00 PM
cladking

'60-D sm dts come pretty nice and are the most common cent roll. These
actually sell for less than the 2004 rolls. If you have MS-67's you
can get a good price for them though a quantity would cause the price
to fall.

In all probability there won't be more than a few that would even grade
as MS-65. You can always try but with the cost of slabbing I'd
strongly advise that you show them to someone who knows about these
first.

Old August 1st 05, 04:05 AM
Bill Krummel

wrote in message
[...]

I have searched uncirculated roll coins for years. When I search a roll of
40-50 coins (depending on denomination), I find 0-4 coins that _may_ be a
65. Since I give each coin a look of only a few seconds, I suspect that
some of the ones I set aside won't make 65. I find a decent number that are
probably 64, and the majority are 63 or lower. In all my searching, I have
found only a handful of coins that might go 66 and I have never found one
that made me think 67. Oh wait, maybe I have. That is the one coin that I
fumbled and it hit the floor rolling.

So, I would say that your unc roll may contain a few 65s and/or 66s and a 67
only if you are lucky. If the coins have been kept in the original paper
roll, there is a chance there won't be any true reds inside, although they
could all be, other than the outside coins.

If finding $3,000 coins were too easy, many would be finding them and then
they would not be $3,000 coins.

OTOH, it is possible to find an ultra high grade coin in a roll, so good
luck.

Bill

Old August 1st 05, 04:08 AM
bri

wrote in message
[...]

If they have one spot they won't get any grade above MS64 from PCGS if at
all. Plus PCGS graded cents in MS67RD are typically really really red
colored. Like the reddest cents you can find anywhere. And they can't have
any noticable bag marks.

Old August 1st 05, 12:34 PM

Well, I wrote a nice reply and Google wiped it clean, so this time I'm
just gonna say thanks for the information and get back to my job.

I'll post later if these things bring any price worthy of note.

GS

Old August 1st 05, 02:40 PM
oly

FWIW, I elongate dozens of rolls of unc. 1960s every month. Whoopee!

oly

Old August 2nd 05, 01:52 AM

Before I dive into my rolls and find out if I've really owned
uncirculated cents or rolls of slugs with shiny pennies on each end for
the last 25 years or so, I'd probably be best off knowing how to
prevent any further coin damage, i.e. tarnish.

Lets say the interior cents are untarnished. Will sudden exposure to
air (air conditioned house, mid 70's and low humidity)do anything
radical? Of course, I'll probably want some gloves, too.......no finger
oil contact.

Next question, how to re-store them? If they're any good, I'd certainly
want to avoid stacking and rerolling. Airtight somehow, I'm certain.

Finally, it looks like there's more money in grading coins than
collecting them. Guess I missed the boat on that one, though.

Thanks again,

GS