Cut Squares of Postal Stationary

Old January 15th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Cut Squares of Postal Stationary

On 14 Jan 2007 21:28:53 -0800, "TL" wrote:

YMMV = your monkey might vomit?

That too! Your Mileage May Vary...

wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 17:58:56 -0800, "TL" wrote:

Tracy,
Seems to me that soaking some cut corners would be more ruinous than
leaving the hinge remnant.

Maybe if the entire corner was there. If it is truly a cut with no
backing paper, then why keep it dirty? I've soaked quite a few older
U.S. cut Squares with no ill effect. Of course, YMMV.

YMMV = your monkey might vomit?

The embossed concept seems to have been an early idea that stayed and
made up somewhat for the simplistic designs.

And with stamps, like Portugal.

wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 14:21:13 -0800, "TL" wrote:

I'm going through a cut square collection. I seem to have hundreds if
not thousands. I'm at the same time writing in a message box the pros
and cons of cut squares trying to understand why they have never
excited the stamp collector as much as other areas. Are they boring?
Difficult with their die variations? Postal Stationary enjoys
popularity in Postal History with up-rating with stamps and rare
cancels. Some hard core stamp collectors would even collect used
Entires for select reasons but what are some reasons that a stamp
collector would go after a lowly cut square? US cut squares have some
huge catalog values but I rarely witness the sale of these items.
Why is it you like or dislike Cut Squares?

I used to collect them. I now save them to give away to anyone who
wants them. I was going to collect postal stationery but with my
current collecting interests, it was way out of my league (money &
time).

Positives:
Never been soaked

No necessarily. Had to soak many of them with nasty hinges.

Has clear cancels because of flatness

What about the embossed squares?

No hinged problems (or is hinging a problem?)

Plenty, in older collections. Multi-hinged gunk at times.

Old January 16th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Albumen

Weiss has had large stationery auctions years ago at the NY Collectors club.
I have saved one of these catalogs for reference as he talks at length on
rareity.

For the record, I don't approve of cut squares, I like the entires. But, I
also collect cancelations, and cut squares have quite the variety - with
strikes are almost always full on piece.

-al

"JOBI01" wrote in message
Tom,

I am not aware of any on-line references scarcity of US cut squares.
Someday I will try to add that information into my classic cut square
price list like I have done on my postal card price list. Most printed
information I have seen on scarcity is in auction catalogs.

--
Bill Lehr
JOBI Philatelic Services

"TL" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill,
Thanks for the link.
I have a series of Bremen cut squares that are stamped on the back
"counterfeit", probably by an expert. Next to those is a series of
"reprints" and then the originals.
The collections that I have of worldwide seem to be quite thorough from
the beginning up to 1906. In one album, countries such as Austria have
no empty spaces. I'm wondering, therefore, if the cut squares of value
may run similarly to the higher valued entires of H&G.
I realize that in many instances the aspects of variation in PS have
been cut away from the cut square.
In the web links is there a site that mentions the rarer cut squares?
Tom

JOBI01 wrote:
Counterfeits, fakes and forgeries are an interesting study of postal
stationery. Forgeries of 19th century material were extremely common,
especially in European collections. Forgeries were almost always done
as
cut squares.

Counterfeits of both stamped envelopes and postal cards are know and
some
are extremely well documented.

Fakes occur mostly of 20th century material in the form of surcharges.
Common material that becomes valuable when surcharged and common
material
not known to be surcharged are the typical fakes. Even entire envelope
types have been faked to create rarities!

Several articles, with color pics, are archived he

http://jobi.bizhosting.com

--
Bill Lehr
JOBI Philatelic Services
specializing in US postal stationery
APEX, APS, NSDA, SDI, IFSDA, IPDA, UPSS, PSS
312 Lower Coleville RD
Bellefonte, PA 16823-8726
814-355-8871
http://jobi.bizhosting.com

"TL" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going through a cut square collection. I seem to have hundreds if
not thousands. I'm at the same time writing in a message box the pros
and cons of cut squares trying to understand why they have never
excited the stamp collector as much as other areas. Are they boring?
Difficult with their die variations? Postal Stationary enjoys
popularity in Postal History with up-rating with stamps and rare
cancels. Some hard core stamp collectors would even collect used
Entires for select reasons but what are some reasons that a stamp
collector would go after a lowly cut square? US cut squares have some
huge catalog values but I rarely witness the sale of these items.
Why is it you like or dislike Cut Squares?

Positives:
Never been soaked
Rarely with thins
Never pulled perfs
On nice papers
Resembles imperforates but with nice big margins
Has many overprint varieties
Has clear cancels because of flatness
Has some unique designs
Can be in combination with stamps
Not much forgery
No gum problems, maybe on registered flaps
No hinged problems (or is hinging a problem?)
Can contain the entire cancel

Negatives:
Not many series of denominations
Not many commemorative designs
Many designs lack the complexity of stamp designs
Mostly one color
So many cameos
Margin problems and cancels cut away
A mint cut square really isn't mint, now is it

TL

Old January 16th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MJancar

Thousand words say less as a picture, that is why you may look at them:

http://cjoint.com/?bqj7Vfu1NV

http://cjoint.com/?bqkbheDXG6

Cut Squares would be equal at both.

Mitja

Old January 19th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Completely off-the-wall - but how would one collect an unused
cut-square postal stationery stamp,subsequently stuck on an envelope
and used to post it ( as some countries allow) ?

As a postmark collector I weep at the number of rare early postmarks
which must have been thrown away with inwanted cut-outs.

Malcolm