"Charlton's Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins" prices of older issues!!!

Old December 14th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

Default "Charlton's Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins" prices of older issues!!!

I was shopping at Amazon for the 2010 copy of this catalogue and I came
across this:
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819575&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Charl...0819575&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819779&sr=1-6
$269.99 the 2009 issue, $119.92 the 2002 issue and $62.44 the 2007 issue!
Is that possible?!

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old December 14th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

gogu wrote:
I was shopping at Amazon for the 2010 copy of this catalogue and I
came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819575&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Charl...0819575&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819779&sr=1-6
$269.99 the 2009 issue, $119.92 the 2002 issue and $62.44 the 2007
issue! Is that possible?!

Yes, it is, and you have seen it with your own eyes. Secondary-market book
prices can be all over the place. Earlier today, just out of curiosity, I
checked for prices of the Breen Encyclopedia and found that they can be
bought for as little as $160 or as much as $662.27 (how's that for a strange
price?) on Abebooks. I will hazard a guess that these items have been
consigned by someone who either has seen other grossly overpriced items on
one website or another or is looking for an uninformed buyer to come along,
or both. Amazon will act as a broker for most anything they think they can
make a buck on, as will all of the antiquarian book clearinghouses.

James the Book Freak

Old December 14th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius

"gogu" wrote in message
I was shopping at Amazon for the 2010 copy of this catalogue and I came across
this:
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819575&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Charl...0819575&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819779&sr=1-6
$269.99 the 2009 issue, $119.92 the 2002 issue and $62.44 the 2007 issue!
Is that possible?!

As you may be aware, for the last several years the Charlton Catalogue has
featured an in-depth study of a different dies varieties of various coin sets
(this year it is the Victoria 5 cent coins).
Thus prior issues of the catalog retain value as a reference book, although I
wouldn't pay anywhere near the prices mentioned.

Old December 15th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

Ο "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com έγραψε στο μήνυμα
gogu wrote:
I was shopping at Amazon for the 2010 copy of this catalogue and I
came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819575&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Charl...0819575&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819779&sr=1-6
$269.99 the 2009 issue, $119.92 the 2002 issue and $62.44 the 2007
issue! Is that possible?!

Yes, it is, and you have seen it with your own eyes.

....and I can't believe my eyes as I said!
AFAIK those catalogues were issued in tenths of thousands and certainly they
are not a rarity at all!

Secondary-market book prices can be all over the place. Earlier today,
just out of curiosity, I checked for prices of the Breen Encyclopedia and
found that they can be bought for as little as $160 or as much as $662.27
(how's that for a strange price?) on Abebooks.

Well, Breen is Breen and Charlton Catalogue is not in the same league!
The difference of price of course is huge (highest/lowest) but...we are
talking about Breen and we have seen in the past it can score quite high
prices on eBay...

I will hazard a guess that these items have been consigned by someone who
either has seen other grossly overpriced items on one website or another
or is looking for an uninformed buyer to come along, or both.

Well, when books are consigned to Amazon for sale, they say it in the
description.
In the case of the links I gave above it seems that the books are sold
directly by Amazon.
Thanks anyway James!

Old December 15th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

Ο "Petronius" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"gogu" wrote in message
I was shopping at Amazon for the 2010 copy of this catalogue and I came
across this:
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819575&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Charl...0819575&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coins...0819779&sr=1-6
$269.99 the 2009 issue, $119.92 the 2002 issue and $62.44 the 2007 issue!
Is that possible?!

As you may be aware, for the last several years the Charlton Catalogue has
featured an in-depth study of a different dies varieties of various coin
sets (this year it is the Victoria 5 cent coins).
Thus prior issues of the catalog retain value as a reference book,
although I wouldn't pay anywhere near the prices mentioned.

Indeed!
And let's not forget that these catalogues were produced in tenths of
thousands so I wouldn't say they are that rare!

rgrds

Old December 15th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

gogu wrote:
[...]

For the record, if you go to those links and click on "these sellers" (I
just did to double-check my claim) you will find that the books are for sale
by entities other than Amazon, not by Amazon itself. The booksellers
normally list the same books with multiple clearinghouses, and give the
clearinghouse a listing fee plus a substantial percentage of the selling
price in exchange for the privilege of reaching a worldwide market, just as
an eBay seller would have to do. Amazon is, to use the wording of eBay,
"just a venue," and does not have the warehouse space to stock, nor the
staff to inventory, out-of-print publications.

James

Old December 15th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

gogu wrote:
For the record, if you go to those links and click on "these sellers" (I
just did to double-check my claim) you will find that the books are for
sale by entities other than Amazon, not by Amazon itself.

Well, in this case you are right James!

rgrds

Old December 15th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall[_3_]

I sometimes wonder about the prices on Amazon. About a year ago, I bought a
beginner's bird book for one of my neighbor's kid's birthday; It was about
50 pages long and I paid about $10 for it new at my local Barnes and Noble
bookstore. A couple of months later, I thought I'd do the same thing for
another neighbor's kid. That time, I went up on Amazon and put in the title
of the book and got a whole bunch of hits. They appeared to be the same
book with the same title and the same cover based on the pictures shown.
But the prices were in the $70-80 range. Needless to say, I went back to my
local B&N and bought it there for $10.

I think there may be a problem with some books that have similar titles.
Clearly. there was some confusion somewhere because I can't imagine a
merchant gaining the confidence of a customer by selling or even advertising
a $10 book for $80 especially when it's in print and very common.

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

Old December 15th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Dr. Richard L. Hall wrote:
[...]

You know that, and I know that, but there are people who don't know that,
and they are the ones the sellers hope to exploit. Wait, isn't it the same
way with coins?

James the Analogist

Old December 16th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall[_3_]

Dr. Richard L. Hall wrote:
[...]

One seller or two sellers, maybe, But every seller on Amazon? I doubt it.