Left with ebay fees after hit-and-run-buyer

Old June 23rd 04, 04:15 PM
Arne Herløv Petersen

Default Left with ebay fees after hit-and-run-buyer

A probably clinical manic buyer joined ebay today and went on a wild
buying spree. In a few hours he bought more than 700 items, many of them
costing thousands of dollars. After a few hours someone pulled the plug
and he is now no longer a registered user. All well and good. But I am
left with something like $100 in end of sale fees. I know I can get a
refund in 17 days after I fist send a non-paying bidder alert in 7 days
and then get a fee refund ten days later, but until then it looks like I
have to dig down in my pocket. I also have to relist the books the manic
bought, which costs another fee, and I don't know if I can relist
immediately or have to wait some days. I think that when a case like
this is discovered, ebay should immediately void all auctions, refund
the fees and reinstate the items where they were so that other - and
serious - buyers can get a chance. What do you think?
Arne
Old June 23rd 04, 04:29 PM
R. Totale

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:15:08 +0200, Arne Herløv Petersen
wrote:

[...]

I think you should be asking them, rather than us. You may find they
do just that.

Old June 23rd 04, 05:43 PM
Arne Herløv Petersen

In article ,
(Arne Herløv
Petersen) wrote:

A probably clinical manic buyer joined ebay today and went on a wild
buying spree. In a few hours he bought more than 700 items, many of them
costing thousands of dollars. After a few hours someone pulled the plug
and he is now no longer a registered user. All well and good. But I am
left with something like $100 in end of sale fees. I know I can get a
refund in 17 days after I fist send a non-paying bidder alert in 7 days
and then get a fee refund ten days later, but until then it looks like I
have to dig down in my pocket. I also have to relist the books the manic
bought, which costs another fee, and I don't know if I can relist
immediately or have to wait some days

You can relist immediately.

I think that when a case like
this is discovered, ebay should immediately void all auctions, refund
the fees and reinstate the items where they were so that other - and
serious - buyers can get a chance. What do you think?

I sympathise, but I suppose eBay's argument would be that the buyer
/might/ still pay for some or even all of the goods. And it would be
unfair on him to prevent him from completing his transactions just because
seomebody thought he was overspending. Where would you draw the line?

He's no longer a registered user and ebay has cancelled bids for
auctions that are still open. That just leaves the 668 items he managed
to buy in about three hours using the Buy-it-Now-option - from
chandeliers and motorcycles to rare books and paintings. And several
hundred disgruntled sellers who had just listed their items and now have
to start all over.
Old June 23rd 04, 11:58 PM
B. Hamill

You shouldn't be charged by Ebay immedieately even if the auction was
legit...go through the usual non-paying bidder system and by the time your
monthly invoice rolls around the credits will have been posted...if you go
to Ebay Help, and explain that it's a non-registered user that won your
auctions, they will credit your fees. This happens all the time on ebay,
it's not really a big deal - a pain, just not a big deal.

"Arne Herløv Petersen" wrote in message

In article ,
(Arne

Herløv

Old June 24th 04, 12:05 AM
Kris Baker

[...]

There's a lot of that going around; I got hit by one of those spree-
BIN-killers early this month.

Here's what to do:

Wait until 7 days have elapsed.

File for your NPB; you will get your Final Value Fees refunded
*immediately*, since this "buyer" is NARU.

THEN, use the "relist" option on your My eBay (or from the item
page itself) to relist the item (do not use Turbo Lister).

If the item sells on the relist, the listing fees will be refunded
and you'll be "totally whole".

Kris

Old June 26th 04, 03:56 PM
Chris Charles

Perhaps you should consider posting this in alt.anti.ebay next time, or
alt.marketing.online.ebay?

Old June 26th 04, 10:27 PM
MindElec

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:56:37 GMT, "Chris Charles"
declared:

Perhaps you should consider posting this in alt.anti.ebay next time, or
alt.marketing.online.ebay?

in amoe he would have gotten the same advice kris just gave.

Robert

--

The sound of gunfire, off in the distance, I'm getting used to it now
Lived in a brownstone, lived in the ghetto, I've lived all over this town
Old July 1st 04, 10:44 AM
Htn963

[...]

Hmm, why is it that I keep seeing you post bad experiences on ebay
here? Perhaps ebay is not for you, or you need to expect the
posititives and not the negatives.

--
Ht