All that glitters is..

Old June 5th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default All that glitters is..

Usually Bullion doesn't turn me on, at least the tiny 1/10th oz. coins
don't, but if yawl remember my tale of going through a Silver hoard of a
family's late Dad a week or two ago, he also had a few rolls of 1oz Gold and
Platinum Eagles. Yes, rolls. All 1 oz.

I was handed a dozen GEM 1964-D Quarters from an absolutely never searched,
taped bank roll by the Mom after we finished opening and tubing everything
as a thank-you for helping out. (The best of them will go to PCGS whenever I
have the time to do a submission.. and if I can get an MS67 out of the
bunch, I'll probably faint.. but I think it's possible one or two of them
might make it..) ..

As I explained, she and her daughter (my High School classmate from the
1960s) were utterly clueless as to what that table full of Silver
(http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/yow.jpg) .. was worth. Well I really
wanted one of the 1 oz. Gold Eagles (all dated 1998) Hell I wanted one of
the 1 oz. Platinums too but that was a little out of my price range. I
didn't expect her to GIVE me one. I'm not the kind of s.o.b. who would take
advantage of coin-clueless close friends who just lost the patriarch of the
family. (I'm some other kind of s.o.b. I guess..) ..

Get this - the late Dad used to tip his Doctors with these Eagles when he
was particularly pleased with the care they gave him. He handed them out to
Doctors like candy (as if Doctors need Gold?)..

Anyway, she decided to let me have one at a lowball price. I'm not going to
say what I paid for it but I didn't play her for a fool, nor did I pay
anywhere even remotely near what a dealer would charge for one. Part gift,
part purchase. Friend of the family discount, if you will.

I'm going to send it in to PCGS eventually, (in an MS69 slab it'd retail for
over $900.00. In MS70, which I am firmly convinced they will never give me
on anything I submit, over $3000.00...) .. although I'd keep it no matter
what it grades, just out of the sheer sentimental value it has to me for a
very kind guy I knew since 1965.. meanwhile, I wanted to show some friends
what it looked like so I shot these last night. Olympus C-7000 zoom, under a
fluorescent lamp, macro, hand-held, elbows braced, I could do better, but we
were in a chat online so I did it quickly. The coin is basically flawless.
When I first got it, I briefly slid it out of the flip (no, not into my
hand) and studied it with a magnifier and a loupe and I'll be damned if I
can see anything wrong with it.. I shot these pictures through a plastic
flip - all marks, dust, nicks (those marks on Liberty's legs), any other
things that look like flaws are specks of dust or scratches or reflections
on the flip, not on the coin.

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/eagle1.jpg

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/eagle2.jpg

Is this what the dealers like to call a "needle sharp strike"? I think so.

Mintage of 1998 1oz. Unc AGEs was about 1.4 million. Approximately 1/1000th
of that mintage, about 1500 of them, are in PCGS slabs. About 60 are MS70,
most of the rest MS69.

Harv

Old June 7th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Harv" wrote in message
[...]

I just sent 4 of these in. MS69 for the lot. I hope you get MS70.

Jonathan_ATC