Mylar, storage and questions

Old June 3rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Mylar, storage and questions

Back in high school I collected a few coins and am interested in
getting back into the hobby. I have a few questions, that I hope you
can help me out with. I've researched this a little, but a trip to my
local coin shop has left me confused.

1) I have a coin folder/binder that has plastic sheets for storing
cardboard/plastic 2x2s. Basically there are little pockets on the
plastic sheets to tuck in your 2x2s. The coin shop tells me that these
plastic sheets will damage coins because they have PVC. Are there
sheets I can use that won't damage the coins?

2) Mylar. The coin shop tells me that mylar flips contain pvc that will
damage coins, whereas the cardboard/mylar 2x2s don't contain PVC. Does
this sound correct?

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive way to store some coins with
relatively little value, so I bought a bunch of the cardboard/mylar
2x2s.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old June 4th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

Back in high school I collected a few coins and am interested in
getting back into the hobby. I have a few questions, that I hope you
can help me out with. I've researched this a little, but a trip to my
local coin shop has left me confused.

1) I have a coin folder/binder that has plastic sheets for storing
cardboard/plastic 2x2s. Basically there are little pockets on the
plastic sheets to tuck in your 2x2s. The coin shop tells me that these
plastic sheets will damage coins because they have PVC. Are there
sheets I can use that won't damage the coins?

If you can't find a coin dealer who sells non-PVC binder pages for 2X2
flips, try a full service camera store. Photo enthusiasts use these
pages for storing slidea and don't want PVC pages any more than coin
collectors.

I belieeve the non-PVC pages are made from polyethylene which is inert.

2) Mylar. The coin shop tells me that mylar flips contain pvc that will
damage coins, whereas the cardboard/mylar 2x2s don't contain PVC. Does
this sound correct?

The coin dealer who gave you this information doesn't know what he is
talking about. PVC and mylar are totally different materials...and
mylar contains no PVC.

PVC is polyvinyl chloride....the chemical name for vinyl. PVC is used
in soft flips and these should never be used for long-term storage.
There are also what are called "low plasticizer" PVC flips that are
stiffer. I still would not use these for long-term storage.

Mylar is a polyester and is inert. Mylar flips are very stiff and if
you aren't carefull you can scratch a coin while inserting or removing
it from a mylar flip. Other than that, they are safe for long-term
storage.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive way to store some coins with
relatively little value, so I bought a bunch of the cardboard/mylar
2x2s.

Well, then you shouldn't be concerned about flips ;-)

Thanks,
Aaron

Old June 4th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Some of the vinyl 3 ring binder sheets are loaded with PVC and some are not.
If they reek like plastic real bad then those probably are not safe for
storage. PVC holders are a lot cheaper to buy in huge bulk purchases
wholesale so you have to really watch out when you go to spend as little as
possible.
Cointains are probably the best for storage but they cost the most and if
you have a lot of coins you would not want to spend more on the holder than
what a common issue coin would be worth. But you can't go wrong with
Cointains.
You have to have the right kind of staples for the 2x2's or they'll stick
out too much and leave a possible scratch on another coin inside an adjacent
flip. Plus they rust so there's that to worry about. And it's probably not a
good idea to be wielding a stapler next to a coin. You know how sometimes
they'll jam up? Right when that happens you might lose control of the
stapler and scratch the coin or drop it. They also don't last as long as a
Cointain would. They need replacing every ?? maybe 5 years? Eventually the
Mylar gets all loose around the coin if you handle them too much. Esp. on
large dollars. If you have a whole sheet of large dollars the sheets tend to
fall apart at the seams. And a lot of your 3 ring binders have PVC laced
vinyl covers to also worry about.
HTH

Old June 4th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

bri wrote:

Some of the vinyl 3 ring binder sheets are loaded with PVC and some are not.

Ummmm.....ALL vinyl sheets are "loaded" with PVC because PVC is vinyl.
Look it up
polyvinyl chloride = vinyl

Old June 4th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
oups.com...
bri wrote:

Some of the vinyl 3 ring binder sheets are loaded with PVC and some are
not.

Ummmm.....ALL vinyl sheets are "loaded" with PVC because PVC is vinyl.
Look it up
polyvinyl chloride = vinyl

But isn't it the PVC softener that is at fault here, not the PVC itself,
which is inert? Enlighten me.

Mr. Jaggers

Old June 4th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

bri wrote:
Cointains are probably the best for storage but they cost the most and if
you have a lot of coins you would not want to spend more on the holder than
what a common issue coin would be worth. But you can't go wrong with
Cointains.

Yes, the drawback to a more expensive, longer-term storage solution is
that the value of the coins I've been collecting (penny sets, state
quarters, foreign coins, etc.) is basically face value of the coins.

So I'm left with the choice of the cardboard/mylar 2x2s or some
pvc-free (mylar) flips. Both are relatively inexpensive so I'm not sure
which is the better choice.

Any input is appreciated.

Old June 4th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

bri wrote:

Some of the vinyl 3 ring binder sheets are loaded with PVC and some are
not.

Ummmm.....ALL vinyl sheets are "loaded" with PVC because PVC is vinyl.
Look it up
polyvinyl chloride = vinyl

But isn't it the PVC softener that is at fault here, not the PVC itself,
which is inert? Enlighten me.

Mr. Jaggers

I've seen some places say "Inert vinyl sheets" soo...???
I just trust my nose. Because I've gotten some sheets that I know are
supposed to be 'museam safe' to use but a couple of them really just
reeked--like they smelled really strong just like the insides of a plastics
plant. I could smell those from across the room so I chucked 'em in the
trash. I think those were Leaddog or maybe Marcus.
Never have had any problems so far with those H.E. Harris sheets with the
holographic text on them.

Old June 4th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"aarondesk" wrote in message
oups.com...
bri wrote:
Cointains are probably the best for storage but they cost the most and

if
you have a lot of coins you would not want to spend more on the holder

than
what a common issue coin would be worth. But you can't go wrong with
Cointains.

Yes, the drawback to a more expensive, longer-term storage solution is
that the value of the coins I've been collecting (penny sets, state
quarters, foreign coins, etc.) is basically face value of the coins.

So I'm left with the choice of the cardboard/mylar 2x2s or some
pvc-free (mylar) flips. Both are relatively inexpensive so I'm not sure
which is the better choice.

Any input is appreciated.

Like Phil said those Mylar flips tend to scratch up the coin. I'll add that
they also act like little greenhouses--trapping in moisture. Which on clad
stuff leads to spots and ugliness. Those were only intended for very short
term storage--like dealers trading at a show or for temporary storage while
a coin sits and waits at PCGS or wherever they grade coins.
They also make some totally soft mylar flips--it's like really cheap for 100
pack. It is just as good as storing a coin in toilet paper though. They also
make some paper coin envelopes and if you store coins in those for a long
time they have a better than average shot at aquiring some nice attractive
tone.
Some coin shops sell a special stapler for those flips that makes the backs
flat. Or you can just find one at an office supply store. Just have to be
really careful with the stapling activity.
Also don't mix different sized coinage in the same binder because the
staples will line up over a part of a bigger coin which might reside in the
fields. Yes it will leave marks even through 4 sheets of plastic.

Old June 4th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

But isn't it the PVC softener that is at fault here, not the PVC itself,
which is inert? Enlighten me.

Mr. Jaggers

Raw PVC is extremely rigid. Plasticizers and stabilizers are added to
make it pliable for uses such as coin flips. It is these additives that
are thought to be the culprits with respect to "PVC damage" to coins.

There is an amazing amount of misinformation floating around regarding
PVC and it isn't just limited to uninformed dealers. For example: I
believe if you check NGC's website they will tell you that PVC is a
plasticizer added to flips to make them soft. I e-mailed them a while
back informing them of their mistake...didn't do any good. The last
time I checked they hadn't corrected their error.

PVC is also an environmental nightmare. It doesn't biodegrade and you
can't get rid of it by burning it....that will result in a release of
hydrochloric acid.

Old June 4th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

bri wrote:

Some coin shops sell a special stapler for those flips that makes the backs
flat. Or you can just find one at an office supply store. Just have to be
really careful with the stapling activity.

That would be the Max "flat cinch" stapler. A bunch of RCC'ers (myself
included) purchased the compact model HD-10DF in an eBay Dutch auction
several years ago.

The stapler came with a box of 5000 staples and the seller allowed you
to buy extra boxes of staples for a a few bucks more. I bought an extra
5000.

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Newbie Questions Derek Coins 14 September 8th 03 02:22 AM
My first seeburg 100 C and boy, do I have questions. Bernie Juke Boxes 5 July 28th 03 04:22 AM
Poste Restante (was Questions) TC General Discussion 0 July 1st 03 06:02 AM