Help! Need information on bronze casts/galvanos. Photos inside.

Old June 27th 05, 06:23 PM
Beachpeople

Default Help! Need information on bronze casts/galvanos. Photos inside.

CORRECTION: Apologies! The casts are described to be 7 inches diameter, but
are in fact approximately 5 inches. One of the photos has the casts and a
quarter for size perspective. Still looking for any information or help
with them and their identity/use etc. Are there any other groups that may
be more appropriate?

Reply to (removing the obvious) if you wish
to do so privately.

"Beachpeople" wrote in message
We are open to discussions here by anyone, either publicly on the board or
privately.

These items were featured in the June 2004 edition of Coin World (front
page) with an article and photos. We are the owners of the 2
approximately 7 inch diameter casts that appear to be bronze, although one
is a different color metal than the other, but only slightly. They are
signed with the "M" of Hermon MacNeil, artist commissioned by the Treasury
Department for coin design.

We'd like to get opinions, educated information, and not so educated
information on what these are, why they exist, and their history. Any
comments are welcomed! So far, these items seem to be unique in nature.

These items have been investigated by Roger Burdette (coin historian and
author) with whom we met with last year, and will be included in an
upcoming book of his this fall. The original plaster casts appear to be
in a J.H. Cline book on the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter.

Photos attached are the items with an actual quarter for size reference,
the Coin World article, and a photo with the page of JH Cline's book
featuring a plaster cast for the Standing Liberty that matches what we
have identically. We have contacted J.H. Cline for comments on the source
of his photo but got little to no reponse back. He did offer to purchase
the items at a coin show we attended when he saw them.