The joys of being an 11 yr old collector

Old May 29th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default The joys of being an 11 yr old collector

My 11 year old son has just completed his Lincoln Set, (minus the 1909 S VDB
& 1922 No D). Over the last 3 months, I brought home about 5 or 6 bags
(5000 ea) of Wheat Cents for him to search through. The 14 D is VG with
some corrosion, the 09 S is a G-4, and the 31 S is VF with minor corrosion.
Most everything else is G - F. He's thinking about doing Indian Cents next
because he likes my AU-BU set. I'm trying to convince him to do Jefferson
Nickels.

OK, I "salted" the bags with the keys and semi keys, but he still had the
thrill of finding them. I need to find a AG 09 S VDB, even a problem coin
will do.

Old May 29th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
ink.net...
My 11 year old son has just completed his Lincoln Set, (minus the 1909 S
VDB & 1922 No D). Over the last 3 months, I brought home about 5 or 6
bags (5000 ea) of Wheat Cents for him to search through. The 14 D is VG
with some corrosion, the 09 S is a G-4, and the 31 S is VF with minor
corrosion. Most everything else is G - F. He's thinking about doing
Indian Cents next because he likes my AU-BU set. I'm trying to convince
him to do Jefferson Nickels.

OK, I "salted" the bags with the keys and semi keys, but he still had the
thrill of finding them. I need to find a AG 09 S VDB, even a problem coin
will do.

Mike Peters of Peters Numismatics of Rockford IL has a nice one in G-4 (it's
in a PCGS VG-8 holder). If you have interest, I'll email you the
particulars.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 29th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks for the offer. For the purposes of this set, it's got to be
AG-3, Holed, corroded or messed with in some way. Trying to fill the
hole for under $300.
Wes

Old May 29th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Greetings Wes

You could try eBay's "Want it Now" featu

http://pages.ebay.com/wantitnow/index.html

Wheat pennies are no longer my bag (pun intended) but it is how I got
started over 30 yrs ago, my grandfather sat me down with some bags of
500 wheat cents, buffalo nickles, etc.

My own 11 going on 12 year old daughter isn't very interested in U.S.
coins but she can do pretty well with about $50 to $60 at a coin show
looking through world coin dealer's bargain bins. She usually will come
home with 2 or 3 world crowns and about 20 to 30 nicer "pocket change"
denomination world coins.

Good luck with your hunt!

Jim

Old May 30th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wes, you are a father who is doing some wonderful stuff for that 11-yr old
son. Keep it up!

Amistad
'one who raised three kids long ago...'

Old June 7th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
ink.net...
My 11 year old son has just completed his Lincoln Set, (minus the 1909 S
VDB & 1922 No D). Over the last 3 months, I brought home about 5 or 6
bags (5000 ea) of Wheat Cents for him to search through. The 14 D is VG
with some corrosion, the 09 S is a G-4, and the 31 S is VF with minor
corrosion. Most everything else is G - F. He's thinking about doing
Indian Cents next because he likes my AU-BU set. I'm trying to convince
him to do Jefferson Nickels.

OK, I "salted" the bags with the keys and semi keys, but he still had the
thrill of finding them. I need to find a AG 09 S VDB, even a problem coin
will do.

Now I am quickly determining that my third child is a coin collector in the
making, the other two like coins, but not like my youngest. If I show her
anything she wants it for herself, she pilfered 4 WL halves from me
yesterday, they were to pay the other two for washing cars.

Old June 7th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In a recent message "Mike Hairfield" wrote:

That's cute.....my 3 yr old grandson keeps taking his 7 yr old brothers
coins.......

Mike

I gave my 3 year old grandson 100 pennies for Christmas (as well as
other things - I am not that much of a cheapskate),
having sorted all the shiny ones out of five pounds' worth.

He loved them!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :

FS Eric Lindros 1/4 of Beckett Eskil Thomsson Hockey 0 December 2nd 03 05:06 PM
FS: Major League Baseball "Player" Collector Plates J.R. Sinclair General 0 November 4th 03 06:32 AM
FS: Major League Baseball "Player" Collector Plates J.R. Sinclair Baseball 0 November 3rd 03 05:21 AM
Tradelist Steve Yzerman teraka Hockey 0 September 21st 03 12:16 PM
FS Eric Lindros CHEAP eskil thomsson Hockey 0 August 21st 03 06:15 PM