Halves still (randomly) getting confused as dollar coins

Old April 1st 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Halves still (randomly) getting confused as dollar coins

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote:

I don't recall any hoarding of clad half dollars, if that's the period
you're referring to.

There was hoarding of 40% silver halves, but I don't think there
was hoarding of the CuNi clad halves or of the Ike Dollars
issued the same year. Not even of the Bicentennial issues,
although I imagine quite a few of those got "put away for the
kids" much like state quarters.

The other thing that happened c. 1971 was the commercial success
of dollar bill changer and validators.

That was what I remembered-- the bill changer, mainly. It virtually
eliminated the need to carry pocket change if your daily routine involved
use of vending machines.

There were few common items sold in vending machines in the early 1970's
that cost more than a quarter, so the utility of halves shouldn't have
changed from the 1950's.

What changed is was that vending itself became much more common
in the early 1960's. Around 1960 there was even a dot-com style
stock market boom in vending machine companies, followed by the
inevitable consolidation. Here is a contemporaneous Time magazine
article on the industry:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...938286,00.html

If you had two quarters in your pocket, you could buy a cup
of (awful) coffee from a vending machine. If you had a half
dollar, you couldn't.

Last time I bought a cup of coffee it probably was 10¢ or 15¢ at a diner.
Luckily for me, I've become satisfied over the years with a dash of instant
coffee in a cup of hot water in the morning at home. If I'm away from home,
it's no crisis if there's no morning coffee handy. Otherwise, even motel
bathroom coffee works for me. About when did they start charging more than
a quarter for a small cup of coffee in a machine?

Old April 1st 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Bruce Remick" wrote:

Last time I bought a cup of coffee it probably was 10¢ or 15¢ at a diner.
Luckily for me, I've become satisfied over the years with a dash of
instant coffee in a cup of hot water in the morning at home.

The last time I bought a cup of coffee was this morning and I'm not
sure I've had a cup of instant coffee in the last 15 years. Different
people, different perspectives.

About when did they start charging more than a quarter for a small
cup of coffee in a machine?

I don't know, and it doesn't seem to be the sort of question answered
easily on line. The best I can do is tell you that in 1973, a cup of
coffee cost 20 cents at my local Burger King. So you probably wouldn't
have needed the second quarter until a while later. But if you only
had a half-dollar piece, you were still stuck.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old April 1st 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Bruce Remick" wrote:

Last time I bought a cup of coffee it probably was 10¢ or 15¢ at a diner.
Luckily for me, I've become satisfied over the years with a dash of
instant coffee in a cup of hot water in the morning at home.

The last time I bought a cup of coffee was this morning and I'm not
sure I've had a cup of instant coffee in the last 15 years. Different
people, different perspectives.

I used to work with a couple types who insisted that the world and
everything else stand still until they had a good cup of morning coffee.

About when did they start charging more than a quarter for a small
cup of coffee in a machine?

I don't know, and it doesn't seem to be the sort of question answered
easily on line. The best I can do is tell you that in 1973, a cup of
coffee cost 20 cents at my local Burger King. So you probably wouldn't
have needed the second quarter until a while later. But if you only
had a half-dollar piece, you were still stuck.

Sounds like that wasn't much of a problem since few people likely found
themselves with only a half dollar and no quarters.

Old April 13th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

Was watching the "The Five Daughters Affair" (Man From U.N.C.L.E. -
1967) last night and heard a Kennedy half mentioned :0)

"But what does she bring on the wedding night, eh? Three Portuguese
escudos and one Kennedy half-dollar!"