Coin ID

Old April 3rd 10, 11:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net

Default Coin ID

After paging through the usual suspects in the Standard Catalog of World
Coins I was unable to ID this coin. Any ideas ?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/...c646131c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...5fb33e60_b.jpg

18.7mm, 1.62g

Thanks
Old April 3rd 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net wrote:
After paging through the usual suspects in the Standard Catalog of
World Coins I was unable to ID this coin. Any ideas ?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/...c646131c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...5fb33e60_b.jpg

18.7mm, 1.62g

Thanks

Not seeing anything resembling a date or denomination numeral, I'd say it's
a token or marker of some kind.

James, but Not Fluent in Arabic

Old April 3rd 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

On Apr 3, 2:28 am, sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net wrote:
After paging through the usual suspects in the Standard Catalog of World
Coins I was unable to ID this coin. Any ideas ?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/...c646131c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...5fb33e60_b.jpg

18.7mm, 1.62g

Given the small size and weight, it may be a decoration intended to be
used on an Arabic costume ... think of how belly dancers make jingling
noises with their outfits and jewelry when they gyrate.

I've seen many similar items in the past, but they have all been
holed.
Old April 3rd 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Ken Barr wrote:
On Apr 3, 2:28 am, sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net wrote:
After paging through the usual suspects in the Standard Catalog of
World Coins I was unable to ID this coin. Any ideas ?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/...c646131c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...5fb33e60_b.jpg

18.7mm, 1.62g

Given the small size and weight, it may be a decoration intended to be
used on an Arabic costume ... think of how belly dancers make jingling
noises with their outfits and jewelry when they gyrate.

Is it getting warm in here, or is it just me?

James, Fanning Vigorously

Old April 7th 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
B.J.[_2_]

On Apr 3, 6:28*am, sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net wrote:
After paging through the usual suspects in the Standard Catalog of World
Coins I was unable to ID this coin. Any ideas ?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/...c646131c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...5fb33e60_b.jpg

18.7mm, 1.62g

It looks like a bridge token.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/t...OPIC_ID=54966&

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Turkey-Galata-and...-/370322640280

http://userwebs.psknet.com/tbirde/tb...ls/Medals.html (way down
the page)
Old April 24th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net

Many thanks, you hit it on the head. I probably never would have figured it
out.
Old April 25th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Relayer

On Apr 6, 7:37�pm, "B.J." wrote:
On Apr 3, 6:28�am, sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net wrote:

After paging through the usual suspects in the Standard Catalog of World
Coins I was unable to ID this coin. Any ideas ?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/...c646131c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...5fb33e60_b.jpg

18.7mm, 1.62g

It looks like a bridge token.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/t...OPIC_ID=54966&

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Turkey-Galata-and...ken-1912-Scarc...

http://userwebs.psknet.com/tbirde/tb...edals.html(way down
the page)

Sure does. The net is wonderful for this kind of stuff. My brother has
had a roman coins for 35 years, knew nothing about it, me neither as I
don't collect ancients but with the help of some nice people, was able
to identify it and basically get the value from the same coin off of
Ebay. It was a mystery until last month