Bookstores in Hawai'i

Old April 12th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Bookstores in Hawai'i

Does anyone have any recommendations for good/interesting used
bookstores in Hawai'i--in particular Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island?
(I'm not interested in Hawaiiana particularly, but more in SF and
literary fiction. In particular, if I finish the four books I'm
bringing, I'll need to buy something to read. :-) )

(Yes, I know I have a listing at
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/na-diego.htm#hi, but it's not my
firsthand experience and some may be out of date.)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes

Old April 12th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Evelyn,

I go to Hawaii almost every year. We rent a cabin on the beach at
Bellows AFS on the east shore. I can recommend Bookends, 600 Kailua
Road in Kailua, Oahu, a bookstore on the east shore, which sells both
new and used books in all genres. There are several antique stores in
Kailua which also sell used books, but Bookends is your best bet.

There was a two-story bookstore I used to visit near Kaneohe, but I
don't see it listed on any local listings of bookstores on Oahu. I
suspect it folded.

There are several used bookstores in Honolulu and many new bookstores,
but I never visited them, not because I didn't want to, but because
book-hunting usually was not on the agenda in Hawaii.

For two weeks of the year, my wife and friends get one-hundred percent
of my time during our Hawaiian vacation. The computer stays home, and
my interest in books goes on the back shelf. Of course, if the women go
antique shopping in Kailua, that's a different story! I'm book hunting
then.

Because of health reasons, we had to cancel our trip to Hawaii this
year; however, we're already making plans for next year.

Cheers,
Jerry Morris

Evelyn*C.*Leeper)

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7