Progress on Catalogue

Old June 3rd 04, 12:30 PM
renster

Default Progress on Catalogue

Hi,

Just wanted to let you all know that I have added an image view for the
catalogue to match the image view available in the group stamps view
(link at bottom of page). While it doesn't work 100%(ie. doesn't
remember your search criteria) it does provide a nice new way to browse
the catalogue.

Once you get into the catalogue one of the options is "image only" (it's
just above the search and filter tools on the catalogue). You can go
back to the usual view by selecting "Full Cat" once in image only view.
Also the reset option changes to suit whichever mode you are in.

Let me know what you think.

By the way - We currently have the last 50 odd Australian Pre-decimal
stamp listings awaiting images to be uploaded for them. They are listed
in the approval area for the admins (not viewable by mere mortals). The
completion of Australian Pre-decimal simplified with images is very close

There has been quite a bit of activity with adding stamps and images.
Much thanks to nolack who has really put in a big effort to once again
spur me on to do some more on the site. We are approaching the 400 mark
with more to come.

I have also been more careful with the images thanks to Rodney pointing
out my slackness in this area. Hopefully the last 15 odd additions are OK...

There have been quite a few other tweaks to go with it all.

I hope to be moving the site to a Top Level Domain name more suited to a
stamp catalogue...any suggestions?!?

Oh well...late(ish) and tired. nite.

Rene
http://www.renster.com/stamps
Old June 3rd 04, 11:08 PM
Rodney

Well done Rene,
It's certainly coming along well.
As things progress, I think you should shoot for
images that are from mint issues as a preference.
Having said that, whilst it will be a great source for the
beginning collector, to add punch and validity to the site,
one day perhaps begin to centre on the "variety" aspect
perhaps under the "children" default.
I remember being impressed with a hard blow up of a detail
Canadian war arms issue by Bob Ingraham.

For example perhaps a side by side view of the 1947 Princess Elizabeth
issue, showing the shade variation between the watermarked and
unwatermarked issues. Blow ups of variations of the KGV sideface
would be a real winner.

I know it's hard yakka, I have 3,600 images in my Oz collection,
and have hardly scratched the surface.
Wishing you persistence.
Rodney

--

(Remove gum to reply)

http://www.renster.com/stamps

Old June 3rd 04, 11:44 PM
renster

For example perhaps a side by side view of the 1947 Princess Elizabeth
issue, showing the shade variation between the watermarked and
unwatermarked issues. Blow ups of variations of the KGV sideface
would be a real winner.

This is exactly where I want to go. I will make a seperate stamp studies
section and link it back to the catalogue. While I can do some of it at
the moment with the base and child option currently in the catalogue I
think shade variation and studies of varieties really need their own
dedicated pages with the catalogue as a broader, less detailed backup.

For varieties I hope to add close up scans for the individual stamp to
use the multiple images available. In some cases I have done this but I
will expand on it where I can.

I know it's hard yakka, I have 3,600 images in my Oz collection,
and have hardly scratched the surface.

It really does dawn on you the size of even tackling Aus pre-decimal -
ever increasing levels of detail. Upgrading poor images with better mint
ones. Focus on faults, varieties and shades. Adding context to the time
period and history, etc. etc.

3,600 images .... some way for me to go

Cheers

Rene
http://www.renster.com/stamps
Old June 4th 04, 04:53 AM
Rodney

Did you know our KGV sideface is one of the most studied issues in stampdon?
Here is the "Beginners start to blindness"

Courtesy of Australian Stamp News Circa 1970
(It was in a huge box of pages ripped from magazines
concerning this issue)

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=346

HTH
(large scan)

Old June 4th 04, 05:09 AM
renster

I know there is a lot of material. It's being allowed to use it on a
webpage that is the issue.