! A laughable George Washington on ebay

Old April 27th 04, 10:18 PM
Robert de Ridder

"Richard" schreef in bericht
If anyone has any question that this item is not even good for toilet

paper for
barefoot, then take me up on a bet.

That tiny little scrap. I don't need convincing it's no good for toilet
paper...

Which brings me to another point: how about those Topps cards with the
signatures of presidents. It seems to me that to get the pieces for those
cards, they'd have to had the signatures cut out of documents. To me this is
a crime, since the historical context has been removed.

Old April 27th 04, 11:34 PM
Barefootmk

all's i am saying is that there is NOT ONE PERSON ON HERE who seems to know
what they are talking about as far as real and fake autographs...much less
something that may or may not be historical...
now chances are, you are right about it being a fake...in fact the chances are
pretty f@#$ing good that you are correct...but how do you honestly know? how
could you make that assumption? the guy obviously bought the item, it has a coa
from an authenticator (whether you believe the company or not) and is maybe
just trying to re sell or jsut get his money back...period...he doesn't know
and you don't know...get off your high horse as you want everything to be fake
that you see for sale, cause it just isn't true..and while there are a large
majority of fakes out there, you never know BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE HERE DON'T GET
PEOPLE IN PERSON.
Old April 28th 04, 12:09 AM
Robert de Ridder

"Barefootmk" schreef in bericht
[...]

How do you know he bought the item? It seems you're making assumptions.
The autograph looks EXACTLY like this one:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...lect/gwash.htm, so we know how
it was copied. Interestingly this is the first entry when looking on Google.
And one other thing to remember: the burden of proof lies on the seller. Now
what from the listing makes you consider it might be real?

Old April 28th 04, 12:36 AM
CraigAK62

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think George Washington used a Sharpie!

Craig
Old April 28th 04, 12:49 AM
Richard

I wrote to this guy and asked about the COA and the company that authenticated
it. I never got a response.
This guy is selling bogus autographs with bogus certs.

Old April 28th 04, 01:22 AM
Robert de Ridder

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht
In person is not the only way to tell a fake barefoot. With
historical ones, there are experts who can study the signature. but
you're right; you can never know 100% But sometimes, like the item on
Ebay, the signature is so far from historical records, it's an obvious
conclusion...errr I like to call it "common sense"

Well actually it does look exactly like a George Washington, see this:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...lect/gwash.htm, which also
proves it's a fake.
Most probably it was autoshopped on the background and it doesn't even exist
on paper.

Old April 28th 04, 02:07 AM
dahoov2

When comparing signatures, you have to ask though, WHERE did
THATperson who has that free site, get these signature exemplars? You
could be comparing to garbage.... I personally would go to the Library
of Congress or the Mount Vernon link I sent earlier. The provenance
of the items is unquestionable on those.

Now, this should be said about historical stuff. If the signature is
old and rare/valuable, these are the signatures that you'll most
likely find that look good and are "expertly" forged. I must say have
the forgeries I see on ebay are total amatuer at best.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 02:22:36 +0200, "Robert de Ridder"
wrote:

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht
.. .

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old April 28th 04, 03:04 AM
Robert de Ridder

It is a stroke by stroke identical. Check with the ebay listing.
The reason I showed this one, is that it is the source for the fake or
they're both from the same source.
For a certified and similar signature look he
http://www.georgewashington.si.edu/p...t/inkwell.html
It's not fake because it doesn't look like his signature, it's fake because
it's a facsimile.

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht
When comparing signatures, you have to ask though, WHERE did
THATperson who has that free site, get these signature exemplars? You
could be comparing to garbage.... I personally would go to the Library
of Congress or the Mount Vernon link I sent earlier. The provenance
of the items is unquestionable on those.

Now, this should be said about historical stuff. If the signature is
old and rare/valuable, these are the signatures that you'll most
likely find that look good and are "expertly" forged. I must say have
the forgeries I see on ebay are total amatuer at best.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 02:22:36 +0200, "Robert de Ridder"
wrote:

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old April 28th 04, 03:29 AM
robertderidder

In fact, for the signature to be real, it has to be cut out of
Washington's letter to congress, accepting the presidency. Pretty cheap
then, considering.

[...]

wrote:

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht
.. .