valuation

Old October 8th 04, 10:52 PM
Seb

Default valuation

Hello people,
I collect a few notes going out of circulation then and now but I'm no
expert and wonder if there's a website or some annual to help you value
your collection. My items a

-100 BEF note (probably worth exactly its face value, exchanged for Euros!)
-100 Taiwan dollar note (old, red-coloured, not the even older green one)
-5 GBP note, from first batch of new ones that was quickly withdrawn
because of bad quality ink (any way to identify it as one of the
withdrawn batch)?

Seeing that they're not old at all probably not much chance they're
worth much...

Seb
Old October 9th 04, 02:56 PM
CrispUNC

Seb,

There is no single website that gives you all note values. All you can do is
trawl through a number of dealers websites but then it's difficult to identify
your particular notes if you don't have Pick catalogue numbers of if the
dealer's site doesn't have image.

Best catalogue/annual is the Standard Catalogue of World Paper Money (Pick).
It comes in three volumes and is available from Amazon.

Re your note as you don't give too much information e.g. condition then its
difficult to give values but I would estimate

100 BEF - assuming its of the last issue prior to the Euro and its in UNC
condition then probably around 10 Euro

The 5 GBP (assuming its the 2002 issue) should be should have a serial number
prefix of MA 01 and its value, assuming UNC condition is around 25-30 Euro.

The 100 dollar (presumably Yuan?) note I would assume to be from the 1987 issue
(the information you give is rather limited). If this is the case then value
likely to be in the region of 7-10 Euros if in UNC condition.
Old October 9th 04, 03:32 PM
note.boy

Despite the fact that many of the "numbers rub off" £5 notes are offered
one bay as rare notes that were withdrawn of burned all of the notes
printed entered circulation.

They are only of interest if they are the first prefix HA01. Billy

Old October 9th 04, 04:34 PM
note.boy

Here's an example of the type of auction I was talking about.

As the prefix is HB14 and they started at HA01 that destroys the
seller's claim that "all notes were subsequently recalled from
circulation." Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3746 120&rd=1

Old October 10th 04, 12:01 PM
Seb

CrispUNC wrote:

[...]

Ha! Cancelled my post because I thought I could get the info by an eBay
search; but since you've got a nice discussion going...
My 100 BEF's serial is 11305174570. It's not UNC but new and crisp (same
for my others)--I assume its value drops significantly already.

My 5 GBP has prefix HB--oh no! It's worth exactly £5.

My 100NT$ (you collectors call it yuan, not strictly correct AFAIK,
shouldn't that be for PRC currency only?) is indeed the 1987 issue (or
year 76 if you use the peculiar ROC year). Serial DL323202CV.

It's so interesting maybe I should get into this hobby for real...

Seb