Who started the WWII

Old September 1st 09, 12:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Who started the WWII

On Aug 31, 12:07*pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
What a strange question, some would say... But is it really a strange one?
Let's look at what the historical research of the past 15 years and some
about 70 years old stamps scan tell us on this still hot topics:

http://www.reds-on.postalstamps.biz/...started-it.htm

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP
(born during the WWII, now happily waiting for WWW2)

Very good Victor..I didn't know that you were such a youngster.
BTW my foggy memory seems to recall the Japanese firing on a US ship
in 1939. Maybe Hong Kong or Shanghai.
I think they may have apologized and paid a few Yen for their misdeed.
It didn't have anything to do with starting WWII but I think it was
the first shots fired

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old September 1st 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
"Ralphael1" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 12:07 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
What a strange question, some would say... But is it really a strange
one?
Let's look at what the historical research of the past 15 years and some
about 70 years old stamps scan tell us on this still hot topics:

http://www.reds-on.postalstamps.biz/...started-it.htm

Great stamps thanks Victor - very redolent of the propaganda of the time.

One can't help but be reminded of Low's cartoon - one of his best.

http://opal.ukc.ac.uk/cartoonx-cgi/i...andard/LSE2692

Diaries of the time of prominent people of the left make it clear what a
crisis of conscience Stalin caused.

Still prior to Poland, events in the Rhineland, Spain, Ethiopia, Austria,
Albania and Czechoslovakia were not unimportant in the lead up to European
part of WW2.

Old September 1st 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Ralphael1 found these unused words:

On Aug 31, 12:07 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
What a strange question, some would say... But is it really a strange
one?
Let's look at what the historical research of the past 15 years and some
about 70 years old stamps scan tell us on this still hot topics:

http://www.reds-on.postalstamps.biz/...started-it.htm

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP
(born during the WWII, now happily waiting for WWW2)

Very good Victor..I didn't know that you were such a youngster.
BTW my foggy memory seems to recall the Japanese firing on a US ship
in 1939. Maybe Hong Kong or Shanghai.
I think they may have apologized and paid a few Yen for their misdeed.
It didn't have anything to do with starting WWII but I think it was
the first shots fired

Ralphael, the OLD one

Many historians lay the blame for WWII on the british and french for their
punitive conditions in 'settling' WWI.

I think you'll find Japan's invasion [sorry 'expansion'] of the mainland
be the first 'shots'. Mid-1937

I have a small collection of NewsPapers from the mid 30s to 40s filled with
articles and some suprising good pics related to WWII.
They are interesting to read and I am quite suprised at the printed picture
quality of that time.

Barry

Old September 2nd 09, 12:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

I think a reasonable starting date would be 18 September 1931, the
Mukden Incident, when Japan invaded Manchuria. Following that, the 7
July 1937 Marco Polo Bridge Incident when Japan started invading the
rest of China.

Tony

Old September 3rd 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default When did WWII start? Was: Who started the WWII

"Asia-translation" wrote in message
I think a reasonable starting date would be 18 September 1931, the
Mukden Incident, when Japan invaded Manchuria. Following that, the 7
July 1937 Marco Polo Bridge Incident when Japan started invading the
rest of China.

"The year generally given is 1939

However, one can make out a case for other dates for the start of WW2.

One can say that the war started at different times for different
countries.

Most historians agree the "world war" started in 1937 or in 1939. The most
commonly accepted date is either September 1st or 3rd, 1939.

The date is debated, as the following events are cited as possible
starting points:

- 1 September 1939: The German invasion of Poland.

- 3 September 1939: France and Britain declared war on Germany. (Canada,
Australia, New Zealand and South Africa followed by 10 September).
The Soviet Union: (17 September 1939 USSR Attack on Poland - VM); 22 June
1941 (German attack on the USSR).

- 7 July 1937: The Japanese invasion of China (the start of the Second
Sino-Japanese War).

- 1931: The Japanese invasion of Manchuria."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_World_War_2_start

"world war - a war in which the major nations of the world are involved"
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/world+war

"A world war is a war affecting the majority of the world's most powerful
and populous nations"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war

Based on the above succession of events and on the definitions of the "world
war", and taking into consideration the different alliances (like between
Britain and USA), I would take either the 1 September 1939 or the 17
September 1939 as the beginning of the WWII.

Anyway, for me not the date was important but to show who were, 70 years
ago, the main culprits of the WWII. The very short version is: they were the
USSR (through the dictator Stalin - the instigator) and the Nazi Germany
(thanks to the dictator Hitler - the fanatic).

--
Victor Manta

Just started Ollie T Autographs 1 May 27th 04 10:11 PM
NEW Auctions started - LOOK Jake Jakob Football (US) 0 April 15th 04 12:28 PM
FA: 2 New Auctions Started! Joe Nickerson Baseball 0 November 6th 03 04:58 AM
Just getting started Johnathan Smith Autographs 5 October 25th 03 12:29 AM
Getting started MIKZCARDZ Cards:- non-sport 1 July 29th 03 02:23 AM