Need help on book condition

Old October 16th 03, 11:52 PM
Steve Solomon

Default Need help on book condition

I have a scarce book in good condition which I am interested in
selling but
I need to know how a couple of aspects of this book might affect its
quality rating. The dust jacket is scotch taped to the inside covers,
front and rear, and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.
Any knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated.
Steve
Old October 17th 03, 03:09 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Steve Solomon wrote:

The dust jacket is scotch taped to the inside covers,
front and rear

Scotch tape spells the death knoll to dust jackets. Unless you can steam it
off or otherwise remove it the book's value is considerably reduced.

there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.

It depends in part on the age of the book. If it's less than about 30 years
old, this is likely to make a big difference; collectors generally expect to
be able to find books of that age in pretty much perfect condition. If it is
much older than that then it matters less.

It also partly depends on the book itself. There are some books that were
bound with a particular glue or a particular quality of paper that results
in virtually every copy suffering from the same defect, in which case it
won't matter that much.

And all the above depends on just *how* scarce - and how *desirable* - the
book is. If it is highly sought after and virtually unobtainable, even a
defective copy is likely to fetch a decent price.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old October 17th 03, 05:56 PM
Kris Baker

"Steve Solomon" wrote in message
m...
I have a scarce book in good condition which I am interested
in selling but I need to know how a couple of aspects of this
book might affect its quality rating. The dust jacket is scotch
taped to the inside covers, front and rear,

The tape can be removed with lighter fluid (which
contains no orange coloring or scent). Unless this
is old tape that has stained, it should be removable
with no traces left. Put a few drops on and let it
soak for a minute or so, then carefully try to lift an
edge. Once it's off, you can use more lighter
fluid on a tissue, and remove the excess glue.

and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.
Any knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated.
Steve

What are "brown marks"? Wet stains, some sort
of ink?

Kris

Old October 18th 03, 12:51 AM
my-wings

"Kris Baker" wrote in message
om...

"Steve Solomon" wrote in message
m...

snip cleaning advice

and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.
Any knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated.
Steve

What are "brown marks"? Wet stains, some sort
of ink?

My first thought on reading the original description was "ex library." Ex
library books are notorious for having the jackets taped down, and the
"brown marks" could well be the glue residue from card pockets or due-date
slips. Not sure if the original poster is still reading the thread, but if
so, I wonder if there are any other ex-library indications on the book.

Alice

Old October 18th 03, 01:25 AM
Kris Baker

"my-wings" wrote in message

"Kris Baker" wrote in message
om...

"Steve Solomon" wrote in message
m...

snip cleaning advice

and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.
Any knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated.
Steve

What are "brown marks"? Wet stains, some sort
of ink?

My first thought on reading the original description was
"ex library." Ex library books are notorious for having the
jackets taped down, and the "brown marks" could well
be the glue residue from card pockets or due-date
slips. Not sure if the original poster is still reading the
thread, but if so, I wonder if there are any other ex-library
indications on the book.

Alice

Hi, Alice!

Could be, as I somehow glossed over the word "inside".

Kris

Old October 23rd 03, 01:15 AM
The Bookmaster

The dust jacket is scotch taped to the inside covers,
front and rear, and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.

Who was the "Brainiac" that taped the dust jacket?

Old October 23rd 03, 03:05 AM
Francis A. Miniter

The Bookmaster wrote:

The dust jacket is scotch taped to the inside covers,
front and rear, and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.

Who was the "Brainiac" that taped the dust jacket?

Sounds like an ex-library book. Aren't librarians wonderful caretakers
of books?

Francis A. Miniter

Old October 23rd 03, 05:04 AM
Bob Riedel

The dust jacket is scotch taped to the inside covers,
front and rear, and there are also some brown marks on the inside
front and rear covers.

I've had a number of privately owned books where a previous steward had seen
fit to tape the jacket down -- the most recent being a copy of Mickey
Spillane's second book (ouch!). A mixed blessing -- the tape was probably the
only thing that kept the jacket from being thrown away at some point, but the
resulting stains cut the resale to about a third of what an untaped copy in a
similar jacket might have brought.
My local Salvation Army thrift seems to get taped-jacket books in quantity --
fortunately the practice is mostly confined to 1950s-era book club editions. My
local library, on the other hand, leaves the jackets loose in their protectors,
which has allowed me to salvage some great ones after they're deaccessioned for
the yearly sale. So don't rush to judgement on the culprit's identity.

Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat

FA: 2-Days, WWI U.S. Base Hospital #4 & #5 Somme Front Book, c. 1919 fishnet General 0 September 21st 04 03:28 AM
FA: 2-Days, WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 6th 04 02:18 AM
FA: WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 1st 04 12:45 AM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM