Who has been "borrowing" our words? (Long post)

Old July 27th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Who has been "borrowing" our words? (Long post)

Hi everyone,

I just Googled my own name, and among the expected hits were a couple
on a message board at www.artifactscollectors.com . This puzzled me,
as I don't recall ever posting there. When I went to the site and
looked more closely, the posts turned out to be slightly garbled
versions of posts I made to this newsgroup years ago, and other posts
in the same threads also turned out to be garbled copies of other
r.c.c.ers' messages. Here's the example that first caught my eye:

This is my original post from a thread started here August 12, 2003 by
Mike Marotta titled "If Star Trek Races Collected Coins..." and
recovered from the archives at groups.google.com:
[start quote]
I think Vulcans would collect coins depicting great philosophers and
scientists- not for any "glom" value, as you note, but rather to
meditate on previous intellectual giants and thus inspire themselves.
Unfortunately, we humans have been far more likely to place the
visages of bloodthirsty conquerors on our currencies, but a few of
our
best minds have been numismatically honored. Circulating Greek coins
in the 1980s portrayed Aristotle and Democritus, and German
commemoratives have honored quite a few great scientists. And Ben
Franklin was no slouch as a scientist, either. I'm undoubtedly
forgetting others- any other nominations for a Vulcan coin
collection,
anyone?
Oh, and thanks for the original post, Michael.
-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
[end quote]

And for comparison, here is the post by "Bloom" posted "5 years, 9
months ago" on the Coins forum of artifactscollectors in the thread
"If Star Trek Races Collected Coins...":
[start quote]
I mean I positively think Vulcans would collect coins grudgingly
depicting great philosophers and scientists- not for any "glom" value,
as you note, but rather to meditate on previous intellectual giants
and thus involuntarily inspire themselves.

Unfortunately, we humans genetically have been far more likely to
place the visages of bloodthirsty conquerors on our currencies, but a
few of our best minds have been numismatically honored. Circulating
Greek coins in the 1980s portrayed Aristotle and Democritus, and
Germasn commemoratives have conservatively honored quite a few great
scientists. Truly and Ben
Franklin was no slouch as a scientist, either. I'm undoubtedly
forgetting others- any other nominatoins for a Vulcan coin collection,
anyone?

For example oh, and thanks for the original post, Michael.

To a great extent -Robert A. In this case deRose, Jr.
[end quote]

Notice the added misspellings ("Germasn", "nomimatoins") and
especially the added words. Most of the additions make no sense in
context ("involuntarily inspire themselves", "Truly and Ben
Franklin"). The last few sentences got pretty badly garbled, but my
name is still recognizable enough to turn up in a Google search. Also
note my last name rendered as "deRose", even though I have always
spelled it with a capital D. This, along with the introduced
misspellings, implies that someone retyped the post by hand rather
than mechanically cutting and pasting the text. Other posts in the
thread on artifactshunters are also copied in a similar fashion,
including Mike Marotta's original post. The original r.c.c. thread is
available he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...%40yahoo .com
and the mysterious thread on artifactshunters is he
http://www.artifactscollectors.com/i....-2195213.html

In my original Google search I found one other thread there that
copied one of my r.c.c. posts. There may be other copycat posts at
the site in question if other people want to look for them.

Now, the big questions: who copied these posts from
rec.collecting.coins, and more importantly, why? The fact that a
small mutilations) implies it was not just the act of an isolated
plagiarist. I suppose it is possible that an unscrupulous website
owner might "borrow" content from elsewhere and post it under phony
"user" names to make their own site appear more popular than it
actually was. The seemingly random inserted words could be a clumsy
attempt to defeat plagiarism-detecting software. But if so, why leave
in such incriminating details as the original author's name (which is
how I discovered this in the first place)? Also, the website-boosting-
scam theory just doesn't feel terribly plausible to me. But I can't
make myself believe that some random person would copy multiple r.c.c.
posts and repost them elsewhere under different user names, for no
discernible reason. Still less plausible that multiple people would,
independently, decide to copy r.c.c. posts and repost them elsewhere
to recreate the original r.c.c. thread. So we have a very strange
observation, and no good theory to explain it.

Does anyone else have any additional facts, theories, or speculation
they'd like to share?

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
(feeling dazed and confused)
Old July 27th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike S.

There are lots of web sites that archive UseNet postings in lieu of taking
the effort to provide or support original content and unique postings of
their own. I've seen this with numerous technical and hobby newsgroups
that I've posted to over the years; for instance, rec.radio.shortwave is
plagiarized on a web site called Radiobanter. Perhaps the one you
uncovered is even worse; not just a plagiarizer but an inaccurate one.

Old July 27th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Thomas A.

Mike S. wrote:
There are lots of web sites that archive UseNet postings in lieu of
taking the effort to provide or support original content and unique
postings of their own. I've seen this with numerous technical and
hobby newsgroups that I've posted to over the years; for instance,
rec.radio.shortwave is plagiarized on a web site called Radiobanter.
Perhaps the one you uncovered is even worse; not just a plagiarizer
but an inaccurate one.

Yes, I have seen this as well. Usenet postings taken and presented under
the guise of expert commentary, presumably offered to the gullible through
some machination or other, sometimes for money..

I must admit some confusion over the errors. Injecting benign or neutral
phrases may be done by machine in an attempt to cover plagiarism, but where
do the simple misspellings come from? Certainly not manual transcription.
Or maybe...

Old July 27th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

I have seen those also where old Usenet posts are made to appear as
recent posts on websites. The Usenet posts seem to have random words
replaced with synonyms perhaps so that they will be seen as "original"
content by the search engines.

Old July 28th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Different people have different motives. In middle school through
college, we teach that it is not plagiarism to take a passage from a
book and rewrite it (however slightly), to paraphrase the words of the
author. Of course, citation is still necessary. That part seems to
elude some students.

Last year, I had a senior seminar and one student attempted to turn in
a paper that they got off a major government website. "No matter
which phrase I google," the professor said, "I come back to this same
paper."

Within the social groups of Objectivism, the problem is known -- and
that is singularly odd, considering the fictional paradigms of that
philosophy.

Some people may want to contribute but have nothing to say -- they
lack knowledge or perhaps they lack confidence. So, they take
something else previously approved and float that as their own boat.

We are social creatures and acculturalization is socialization.
Repeating what you have heard is the way we learn communication.

But, beyond those facile descriptions, Robert, I am as puzzled as you
are.

(Also, I completely forgot about the Star Trek Collecitng thing. Nice
find. Thanks.)

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Collecting my own writing."