Shipping Question

Old June 11th 04, 01:25 PM
S. W. Ohio Bob

Default Shipping Question

I've just started selling some coins on eBay and have found out that coins
shipped to buyers are uninsurable according to UPS. I can see their point
that someone could claim a value of $5,000, claim a shipment got "lost" and
try to collect the declared value.

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

Old June 11th 04, 01:37 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:25:24 -0400, "S. W. Ohio Bob"
is alleged to have written:

I've just started selling some coins on eBay and have found out that coins
shipped to buyers are uninsurable according to UPS. I can see their point
that someone could claim a value of $5,000, claim a shipment got "lost" and
try to collect the declared value.

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

I use registered, insured snailmail. If they ask what's in the package, i tell
them something like 'precision machine parts' or 'Exotic alloy samples'.

Never a problem.

Bruce

Old June 11th 04, 02:23 PM
J. A. M.

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:25:24 -0400, "S. W. Ohio Bob"
is alleged to have written:

I've just started selling some coins on eBay and have found out that coins
shipped to buyers are uninsurable according to UPS. I can see their point
that someone could claim a value of $5,000, claim a shipment got "lost" and
try to collect the declared value.

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

I use registered, insured snailmail. If they ask what's in the package, i tell
them something like 'precision machine parts' or 'Exotic alloy samples'.

Never a problem.

Bruce

Are you talking about UPS or the USPS?

JAM
Old June 11th 04, 02:35 PM
MACREAU

United Parcel Service insures anything if you declare it. The cost is 35 cents
per $100.00 value plus freigt.
The First $ 100.00 is insured free of charge.
Old June 11th 04, 02:44 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:23:33 -0400, "J. A. M." is alleged to
have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:25:24 -0400, "S. W. Ohio Bob"
is alleged to have written:

I've just started selling some coins on eBay and have found out that coins
shipped to buyers are uninsurable according to UPS. I can see their point
that someone could claim a value of $5,000, claim a shipment got "lost" and
try to collect the declared value.

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

I use registered, insured snailmail. If they ask what's in the package, i tell
them something like 'precision machine parts' or 'Exotic alloy samples'.

Never a problem.

Bruce

Are you talking about UPS or the USPS?

JAM

USPS. Sorry, I always call them snailmail anymore.

Bruce

Old June 11th 04, 05:04 PM
S. W. Ohio Bob

They (UPS) told me that if I brought in a coin to ship and declared the
value to be $100 (or any value for that matter), it would not be covered if
it were lost or stolen during transit.

Old June 11th 04, 05:05 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"S. W. Ohio Bob" wrote:

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

USPS, priority mail, fully insured. I used to let the buyer decide if
s/he wanted insurance, but as a result of discussions on this board I
now include the insurance costs in the shipping fee.

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."
Old June 11th 04, 05:08 PM
J. A. M.

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:25:24 -0400, "S. W. Ohio Bob"
is alleged to have written:

I've just started selling some coins on eBay and have found out that coins
shipped to buyers are uninsurable according to UPS. I can see their point
that someone could claim a value of $5,000, claim a shipment got "lost" and
try to collect the declared value.

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

I use registered, insured snailmail. If they ask what's in the package, i tell
them something like 'precision machine parts' or 'Exotic alloy samples'.

Never a problem.

Bruce

Are you talking about UPS or the USPS?

JAM

USPS. Sorry, I always call them snailmail anymore.

Bruce

I wasn't sure what the originator of this thread was referring to either.

JAM
Old June 11th 04, 06:16 PM
Jorg Lueke

wrote:

I've just started selling some coins on eBay and have found out that
coins
shipped to buyers are uninsurable according to UPS. I can see their point
that someone could claim a value of $5,000, claim a shipment got "lost"
and
try to collect the declared value.

To the rcc'ers who sell on eBay - how do you ship/insure what you send to
your buyers?

I don't know about UPS I always use the USPS for coins. Insuring coins
isn't an issue, the trickier part can be proving the value of an item if
you do need to file a complaint. They have gotten better about accepting
online material but it is best to have the invoice of what you paid as
well as what the buyer paid.

That said the claims I;ve had have all been paid (lost mail). I doubt
they would cover a coin damaged in transit.

Old June 11th 04, 06:17 PM
DONDI3

In article , Bruce Hickmott
writes:

I use registered, insured snailmail. If they ask what's in the package, i
tell
them something like 'precision machine parts' or 'Exotic alloy samples'.

Never a problem.

Bruce

AFAIK, you don't have to tell them anything, but it's be best to just say
"merchandise" if casually questioned. Obviously, you can also used regular
insured mail for low priced items. If you're getting into a regular business
of shipping coins, the general guidelines I use are as follows:

under about $60...self insure
$60 to $100 insured thru PIC, a private Insurance firm you may want to consider
$100 - $500 also, PIC, but I add delivery com
$500 - $1000 also PIC, but i add Signature delivery confirmation
over $1000 I usually go to registered mail, but not always.

I also use FEDEX ground for heavier shipments as I'm not aware of any
prohibition against coins or precious metals in their case. PIC will cover
your item regardless, but the hassles that UPS gives you probably aren't worth
it and in many cases FEDEX is cheaper than UPS. Depends on the weight & value.
I buy Fedex insurance thru PIC for 25c/$100. USPS is 60c/$100 or 40c/$100 if
you use Del com or sig del com. UPS is 15c/$100, I think, but I don't use it.

UPS will NOT insure or accept items for shipment if you tell them that it's
silver, gold, platinum, coins or currency. They're forbidden by their tariff
to knowingly carry such items. Some UPS people don't know that, and some don't
care, so you may get by. Even if they accept it and you pay the insurance, you
may not be able to collect if the package is lost or stolen, so lying is not a
good idea. (Usually never is, ;-) I used to use a local drug store for
shipping silver USPS, but gave it up in favor of FEDEX. Our local UPS office
actually demands packages be brought in OPEN so they can inspect for prohibited
items. They do not require the same thing of the local drug store. But, as I
said, why endure the hassles when other shippers are more cooperative and
usually cheaper.

The one way I'd use UPS would be by shipping (closed packages) and insuring
with PIC. Then I'm covered by their insurance rather than having to argue with
UPS. By the way the few claims I've had thru PIC were settled with 10 days of
filing, unlike USPS claims which may drag out over 3 months, or USP which take
about a month. I've never had a claim with FEDEX, so I don't know their
practice.

Use the USPS website to get free del com and $1.30 sig del com and the discount
insurance from PIC. A $200 packaged insured USPS is $2.20? Thru PIC it's 80c.
The USPS website also maintains an address book for you and checks your
addresses against a data base to insure accuracy. I very rarely, if ever, lose
packages shipped using a USPS label.

Hope I didn't ramble on & confuse anyone. I'm very happy with my successful
shipping and like to pass my formula on to anyone who'll listen.

Good luck!

dondi3

DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.