Lion coins

Old May 23rd 04, 01:58 AM
Darren

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:06:10 +0100, note.boy wrote:

The unicorn has also appeared on Scottish coins but they didn't roam
here. :-) Billy

....they did but only up to the point the Picts found out they tasted just
like chicken!

Some background on William the Lion
http://members.aol.com/skyelander/thelion.html

The Rampant Lion is the Royal Flag of Scotland and as such should only be
used by Queen Elizabeth II when in Scotland - but it is used at football
matches and the like by special permission.

Thanks
Darren
Old May 23rd 04, 02:10 AM
A.Gent

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message

There are many, many other coins throughout history that depict lions.
More than depict eagles? Anybody here specialize in lion coins or
collect them more casually and care to show off what you have? I just
do ancients myself, and I know one collector who has a huge collection
of lion coins, but it's not online. There are a few sites out there
with this theme of lions on coins.

There's this one:
http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/cd/12/b1_1_b.JPG

(Image from an ebay sale - there's currently quite a few of these on offer on ebay
Aussie.)

Of course, the lion depicted is a freeloader, and has no place on an Australian coin.
(Royal visit notwithstanding) This is indicated by the silly pose he (she?) is
taking - almost rampant - next to a totally unconcerned kangaroo - who *is* rampant!

One wonders where this symbolically significant but realistically silly tableau could
have been posed. The Dubbo Zoo, perhaps? Must've been tough on the 'roos being used
as models, while the engraver took his sketches!

--
Jeff R.
("R" for "Republican")

Old May 23rd 04, 02:48 AM
Scottishmoney

"A.Gent" wrote in message news:40affa1e$0$31678

--
Jeff R.
("R" for "Republican")

--
'Nother one of those oppresed colonials spakes, an' he dunno wanna fureign
monarch nayther.

Dave
"Read my sig file, an' translate to Anglish"

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
Land of the Mountains, the Glenns, and the Heroes - Free Scotland Now!

---

Old May 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
A.Gent

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

"A.Gent" wrote in message news:40affa1e$0$31678

--
Jeff R.
("R" for "Republican")

--
'Nother one of those oppresed colonials spakes, an' he dunno wanna fureign
monarch nayther.

Dave
"Read my sig file, an' translate to Anglish"

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
Land of the Mountains, the Glenns, and the Heroes - Free Scotland Now!

Free Scotland? FREE?
I'll take a bucketfull, thanks...
....no dammit! Fill this here wheelbarrow!

Now...
what to do with it...?

--
Jeff R.
(price is right)

Old May 23rd 04, 05:50 AM
Ian

Jorg Lueke wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:13:01 -0400, Scottishmoney
wrote:

news
wrote:

The unicorn has also appeared on Scottish coins but they didn't roam
here. :-) Billy

Right, but it did exist in myths in Scottland and many other places. So
what about the lion, why was it put on the coin? Was it just for the
nobles or would a common Scottsman have recognized the beast?

The earliest known usage of the Lion on the Royal Coat of Arms was during
the reign of William I(1165-1214) of Scotland, whom was contemporaneously
referred to as William the Lyon, however not for some noble deed, but for
putting the lion on his arms. Common Scots would have only recognised it
from the usage on the Royal Arms. It did not make an appearance on
coinage
until the 15th century.

Dave

Interesting stuff. Someone should write an article about lions and
Scottland.

Ahem! Don't thionk that it hasn't gone unnoticed. That's twice.

For three you get a rancid Haggii tipped MRV ICBM fired in your direction.

Ian
Old May 23rd 04, 05:59 AM
Ian

Scottishmoney wrote:

The tortoise climbing the Palm tree on the Ryal coin was on the coat of arms
of Henry Darnley's family. It was erroneously referred to as the
Crookestone Dollar as contemporary people thought it was the yew tree in
Crookestone that Henry and Mary allegedly sat during their courtship.

Dave

Weel I ken what the thingye was called....but how did a tortoise (alien
to Scotland) get itself half way up a palm tree (yet another item alien
to Scotland) and onto anybody's crest in the first place?

`The Darnleys were on lysergic acid diethlamide' seems to be an
appropriate response.

Ian

Old May 23rd 04, 11:33 AM
note.boy

Scottish banknotes, I'm your man, but for Scottish coins I bow to your
superior knowledge. Billy

Scottishmoney wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message
I just knew that Dave "the scot" would come to the rescue. Billy

--
Sad that Billy, aka a real Scot, hadn't beaten me ta the answer.

Dave
"Sucking on a bottle of Drambuie for the Bonnie Prince tonacht."

Old May 23rd 04, 11:43 AM
gogu

Ο "Scottishmoney" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Most importantly Scotland's coins had lions on them.

Hi Dave!
You can find some very beautiful coins with a lion in the Western Africa
coins, on an Australian (commemorative) florin from George VI era and on
certain Ethiopian coins.

--
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

There were even
denominations of gold coins from the reign of James III that were called
"Lions" because of the lions on them

Dave

Old May 23rd 04, 01:36 PM
Ian

gogu wrote:

Ο "Scottishmoney" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Most importantly Scotland's coins had lions on them.

Hi Dave!
You can find some very beautiful coins with a lion in the Western Africa
coins, on an Australian (commemorative) florin from George VI era and on
certain Ethiopian coins.

THE most beautiful lion coin I have ever come aross is the 1965 10 fr.
Democratic Republic of the Congo minted in aluminium. (KM1)

It is truly a modern example of nu ismatic art and *stunning* in its
simplicity.

I have Mark to thank for my one, which he kindly sent to me about a year
ago. One of my favourite ever coins.

Ian
Old May 23rd 04, 02:51 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 23 May 2004 04:50:12 GMT, Ian wrote:

Jorg Lueke wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:13:01 -0400, Scottishmoney
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Uh oh, I must not have been paying enough attention. What did I do? I
certainly want to stay as far away from Haggis as I can.