Collecting experience

Old February 21st 10, 02:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Collecting experience

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:25:41 -0500, "Clyde Crashcup"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
. ..

To give you an idea of how tolerant the group is, I would put the
period at the end of that quote after the closing quotation mark in
violation of the accepted American style. However, because I am
consistent in this, no one has ever Oy'd me on it. It's regarded as a
style choice.

It's that type of beeding-heart, feel-good liberalism that is destroying
the
written language. g

No, our written language is being destroyed by the text message. The
opposable thumb - which once set Man apart from the lesser animals -
has now become a typing instrument that is incapable of proper
capitalization or spelling.

Evolution? Except what you describe is happening almost overnight-- much
more faster than one would expect in normal evolution. Perhaps next, people
will stop using pennies. Or else will use their thumbs to count them out.

Old February 21st 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 2/21/2010 12:28 AM, in wrote:

i had to get all the walkers. 3 times....then i grew up, kept one set of the
best, though i did keep the keys from the other 2. meaning just the 21's and
obverse mint mark. and the 38 d's.

Walkers are a very cool series. Big coins, silver, extremely attractive,
among the three most beautifully designed of all U.S. coins, I'd say,
and unlike the others much more affordable. If you had posted this when
I was a kid I probably would have tried something similar. g

I sold off all of my collection as a teenager when I stopped collecting.
Wish I hadn't. I feel especially bad about selling my grandfather's
silver dollars. My mother was mildly piqued at my doing that but only
mildly. I wish today I had kept at least one. I got little for all of
it. Took it to the local coin shop where I had bought a lot of stuff
previously. All he did was talk everything down. I knew what he was
doing but didn't want to spend the time shopping the coins around so I
just took the money and ran. Dumb kid.

--

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Old February 21st 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 2/21/2010 12:28 AM, in wrote:

[...]

Like you, I sold my collection when I was eighteen, in my case to raise
money for college. I kept only two pieces from that collection, a 1787
British shilling and a Maria Teresa restrike thaler. Those were enough
"seed" to gnaw at me until a couple of decades later when I started all over
again.

I like to think that I made *most* of my collecting errors as a kid, but
reality dictates otherwise.

James the Only Somewhat Reconstructed

Old February 21st 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Clyde Crashcup

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
This year marks exactly ten years of my beginning coin collecting again.

....massive snippage...

Tell me, Goldie, are you as boring and long-winded in person?
I'd hate to be stuck next to you on a x-country or international flight!
As that noted wit Mr. Bugs Bunny oft opined "What a maroon!"

Old February 21st 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 2/21/2010 12:28 AM, in wrote:

[...]

i kept all the "birthday" dolaars my grandmother saved. she had them for her
folks and sibs. it was the only way i would have gotten 8 seated dollars.
still love the walkers.
Old February 21st 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 2/21/2010 12:28 AM, in wrote:

[...]

don't forget what flaubert said.
Old February 21st 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 02/21/2010
at 12:45 AM, in ) said:

bust halves seem as varied as varieties of hi-tops.

But that's what makes them so fun!

Nick
- "378 down, plenty left to find"

(and that's not counting the bogo collection
Old February 21st 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 02/20/2010
at 10:29 PM, "Clyde Crashcup" babbled:

Ahhhhhhhh shaddup, you festering gob of conceit.

Perfect. Another one for the bit bucket.

plonk

Nick
Old February 21st 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 02/20/2010
at 11:32 PM, tony cooper said:

"Skiddoo?." Oh, I give up.

Or "whom", for that matter.

Well, I guess this is better than the Latin tangent of awhile back. Yeah, I
guess.

Nick
Old February 21st 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:45:22 -0600, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

In all due honesty, I was only on those two usage groups for a short time,
at the end of which I got my hiney chewed royally for my analysis of the
proper sequencing of tenses/moods that was the subject of a query post. I
did it as a relative newbie, from the point of a classically trained Latin
scholar, and that was all it took.

To give you an idea of how tolerant the group is, I would put the
period at the end of that quote after the closing quotation mark in
violation of the accepted American style. However, because I am
consistent in this, no one has ever Oy'd me on it. It's regarded as a
style choice.

Having had the old AP style manual drummed into me, I would put the period
inside the close quote because the entire sentence consists of the Twain
quote. If the sentence ends with just a word or phrase inside quotes, I put
the period outside the "close quote". As you imply, a competent writer can
stay inside the prescriptive mode or be one of those who contribute to the
body of descriptive grammar usage rules that over time may even become
prescriptive. After you've learned all the prescriptive rules so that (note
comma inside the quotes, another AP style holdover) "you know better,"
there's nothing wrong with forging a few of your own usages as long as they
aren't too extreme and you have a reasonable explanation of what you're
doing and why.

"But behold, there be they who, having a
specialty, and admiring it in themselves, be jealous when a neighbor doth
essay it, nor can abide it in them long." - Mark Twain