FA: 1831 Bust Half PCGS AU-58

Old June 9th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

Default FA: 1831 Bust Half PCGS AU-58

On Jun 9, 6:02*am, "note.boy" wrote:

RF is a troll as is Oly. *Billy

Billy the note.boy's dictionary defines troll as anyone who has a
different opinion than Billy and isn't afraid to to state it.
note.boy and his fellow a-hole Hinz like to come here to denounce
trolls but an examination of their posts reveals little, if any,
actual numismatic substance.
Old June 9th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 8, 11:15*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
*Thus I occasionally commission a professional coin picker to be my
eyes and ears at a remote location. *

Commissioning someone to find a coin for you is a different thing than
coin flipping.
Old June 9th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 9, 8:19*am, RF wrote:
On Jun 8, 11:15*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

*Thus I occasionally commission a professional coin picker to be my
eyes and ears at a remote location. *

Commissioning someone to find a coin for you is a different thing than
coin flipping.

I could suggest that people read the guest editorial in the June 3,
2008 issue of Numismatic News - if they think that there isn't a large
body of coin collectors who are fed up with the typical show-based
U.S. coin dealers.

Of course, practically none of the denizens here likely have access to
NN. It's not the publication for the coin flipper community.

oly
Old June 9th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 9, 5:19*am, coinsusa wrote:

* Actually, Ira and others enable real collectors to obtain the coins
they want at a mutually agreeable price. *Ira is entitled to make any
lawfull transaction with anyone that he wishes. The price he
negotiates is between them and is none of your or my business.

Nowhere did I claim that people don't have a right to flip coins.
What's legal and what's ethical are two different things.
When someone posts to a Usenet forum, it ceases to be a private
transaction and is open to public comment and criticism and therefore
EVERYONE'S business.
Old June 9th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 11:15 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Thus I occasionally commission a professional coin picker to be my
eyes and ears at a remote location.

Commissioning someone to find a coin for you is a different thing than
coin flipping.

--------------------------------

Well, of course. I do the commissioning and Ira does the flipping. It's
symbiosis, nothing more. Regular dealers and coin shop owners buy things at
wholesale that they think they can resell at retail to a collector and
thereby make a profit, while the greedy flipper *******s...buy things
that...they think they can...wait a minute here...oh heck, you fill in the
blank.

James

Old June 9th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 9, 11:03*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Well, of course. *I do the commissioning and Ira does the flipping.

Accepting a commission to find a coin is not coin flipping but you
knew that, didn't you?

Old June 9th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message
On Jun 9, 11:03 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Well, of course. I do the commissioning and Ira does the flipping.

Accepting a commission to find a coin is not coin flipping but you
knew that, didn't you?

-----------------------------------

I must confess, no, I did not. The only difference I see is that if I
assign the commission, my name, not someone else's, is at the top of the
call list. Beyond that, the mechanisms are exactly the same: buy at X,
sell at Y, where YX.

James

Old June 9th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:20:34 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"

"RF" wrote in message
On Jun 9, 11:03 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Well, of course. I do the commissioning and Ira does the flipping.

Accepting a commission to find a coin is not coin flipping but you
knew that, didn't you?

-----------------------------------

I must confess, no, I did not. The only difference I see is that if I
assign the commission, my name, not someone else's, is at the top of the
call list. Beyond that, the mechanisms are exactly the same: buy at X,
sell at Y, where YX.

The difference that I see is that "coin flipping" has the connotation
of being a gamble on the part of the flipper. He buys the coin at one
price and gambles that he can sell it at a higher price.

There's no gamble in a commission to purchase. The person buying the
coin is assured that he can sell it for what has been agreed upon in
advance.

There's also the connotation of "short term" in any type of flipping.
The dealer who buys a coin for inventory is gambling that the value of
the coin will increase, but there's no time factor. A dealer who buys
a coin for $500 and sells it months later for $600 is not flipping.
Even if he sells it the next day for $600 he's not flipping if he
didn't anticipate the short term aspect and was willing to hold on to
it.

It's all connotation. There's no established definition.

In this particular newsgroup, there's the additional factor that
certain people will always accuse certain other people of being coin
flippers. Personally, I think the accusers would if they could but
aren't willing to gamble or don't have the money to risk to make the
investment.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 9th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"RF" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

Or perhaps we are simply too smart to pay 63 money (or 62 money or 61
money) for a relatively common date 19th century silver type coin
presently residing in a 58 slab.

Even though "it's (always) just a whisper away".

oly

Old June 9th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message
[...]

But that's the decision one must make in any situation where a coin is being
marketed. Not only that, but many factors in addition to price go into the
making of that decision. To use my perennial example of the 1803 dime, I
wish to acquire one in vg or so while I can still see the lawn from above.
Thus if a slabbed vg that is "just a whisper away from a fine" in the words
of the greedy flipper ******* who is publicly peddling it, I might go ahead
and pay fine money for it. Unless I told you my motivation ahead of time
(and I could even lie about that), you would likely assume that I had fallen
for the GFB's patter, and you would be wrong, wrong, wrong. Besides, once I
took title to it, it would likely be cracked out and become "just a coin"
again. Go ahead, call me fou.

James