FA: 1831 Bust Half PCGS AU-58

Old June 8th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default FA: 1831 Bust Half PCGS AU-58

"RF" wrote in message
On Jun 7, 10:37 pm, coinsusa wrote:

Do you think Ira has done something wrong to use his knowledge base
to cherry pick a major coin show and then try to profit from his
efforts?

Yes, I do. Ira and his fellow coin flipping kin prevent a real
collector from obtaining the coins at a lower price. They provide no
service that warrants an increase in price.

----------------------------------

It would have cost me over three thousand bucks to travel to Long Beach last
week and over a grand and a half for Baltimore this past weekend, to say
nothing of income lost and hearthside expenses incurred by being away. Ira
didn't find any of the coins on my want list at either show, but if he had,
I would have gladly paid him his commission on anything he found for me.
And I'm a real collector seeking real collector coins for a real collection
that I plan to own for a real long time to come.

James

Old June 9th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 8, 5:36*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"RF" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry mon vieux, but it is a bit like trying to sell 9 karat gold as
14 karat. That's exactly the M.O. typically being employed here.

Of course, hint, hint, 9 karat gold has a lot of alloy, but 14 karat
has some alloy too. So why not pay a 14 karat price for 9 karat???
Those hallmarking people don't know ****, you know.

oly
Old June 9th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message

[...]

In over a dozen transactions with the dealer in question, I have never
received any hint that the coin located for me on the bourse floor was
better than the grade on the slab. I realize that what is said here on RCC
is not necessarily the same as what I experience privately. Nevertheless, I
stand by what I have stated above. The downside is that he still hasn't
come up with that 1803 dime in vg!

James

Old June 9th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"RF" wrote in message

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

There's no need for any dealer whosoever to lather you up mon vieux;
first you know what you want; second you are trying to accumulate a
historical collection of coins to accompany your library, your wine
and your hearth; and third a short-term flip for a double or quadruple
$$$ isn't your goal either.

But I'm pleased to see you acknowledge that certain "desinformation"
is indeed going on here on this forum.

oly

Old June 9th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message

[...]

No acknowledgment from this quarter of any "désinformation", mon frère. I
merely describe my own worldview and neither assume nor require that anyone
else must share it. Ça me plaît à moi, voilà tout.

James

Old June 9th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 8, 6:36*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"RF" wrote in message

[...]

The flaw in your argument is that you assume that the coin(s) would
not make it to a public auction venue (eBay or otherwise) and that
coin flipping bottom feeders somehow provide a worthwhile service that
would justify their lowlife existence.
The constant churning of coins via flippers merely serves to drive the
price up for real collectors, while lining the pockets of money-mad
jerkoffs who worship only the almighty buck.
Said coin flipping is made all the worse by dealers who come here
trumpeting self-serving blather about how their coins are undergraded,
a bargain at twice the price and make dubious claims about AU58 coins
being nicer than MS62 ones.
It's not often I give myself a virtuous air but compared to any coin
flipper, I'm practically a friggin saint!
Old June 9th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message

[...]

-------------------------------------

I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to a change of mind. Rather
I state my personal experiences and readers can interpret them as they
will - or ignore them.

I have no idea what your collecting goals are, nor are they germane to my
position. Only my own goals are germane to my position. And my position is
that I will seek items on my wantlist insomuch as I have the time to do so.
But I am no spring chicken, and would like to fill that 1803 dime hole
before I cross the Chilly River. That might just require a proactive
approach, which includes, as you suggest, auctions. Be assured that I scour
many avenues in order to build my collection. But I cannot be everywhere at
once. Thus I occasionally commission a professional coin picker to be my
eyes and ears at a remote location. By the same token, you are welcome to
pursue numismatics in whatever way pleases you. I imagine there are still
those who are wating to fill that same 1803 hole out of pocket change. The
probability that they will succeed is certainly small, but not zero.

And, go ahead and give yourself a virtuous air, I don't mind.

James

Old June 9th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
coinsusa

On Jun 8, 8:31*am, RF wrote:
On Jun 7, 10:37*pm, coinsusa wrote:

*Do you think Ira has done something wrong to use his knowledge base
to cherry pick a major coin show and then try to profit from his
efforts?

Yes, I do. Ira and his fellow coin flipping kin prevent a real
collector from obtaining the coins at a lower price. They provide no
service that warrants an increase in price.

Actually, Ira and others enable real collectors to obtain the coins
they want at a mutually agreeable price. Ira is entitled to make any
lawfull transaction with anyone that he wishes. The price he
negotiates is between them and is none of your or my business. When he
offers coins that he has, it is certainly his right to ask what ever
price he wants to get. It doesn't matter what that price is. If it
makes certain coins more espensive in general, then that is just a
part of the market forces that set the going rate for the coins. To
prohibit what Ira is doing would be known as restraint of trade. That
would be illegal. Sounds like you are upset that you didn't get there
first. Get over it.

I've also noticed that you used terms such as "parasite" , "coin
flipping bottom feeders" and "money-mad jerkoffs" in this discussion.
Name calling is usually the first sign that the premise or crux of the
argument is not tenable. If you can't support your argument with
facts, you should concede the point.

Thank you for your understanding
Old June 9th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"coinsusa" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 8:31 am, RF wrote:
[...]

RF is a troll as is Oly. Billy

Old June 9th 08, 12:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 9, 5:02*am, "note.boy" wrote:
"coinsusa" wrote in message

On Jun 8, 8:31 am, RF wrote:

[...]

RF is a troll as is Oly. *Billy

Do you have to wait until the library opens to use the computer,
Billy??? I hear you people are thrifty, but not having your own
computer is sad.

oly