One of my students dissed the 1913 V nickel

Old August 7th 03, 04:05 PM
James McCown

Default One of my students dissed the 1913 V nickel

I teach Money and Banking and one of the assignments I give to my
students is to find a relevant article and write a short review of it.

One of my students this term picked an article about the newly
rediscovered 1913 V nickel and wrote the following:

"I am sure there are some avid coin collectors in the world who would
gladly buy such a specimen for $2 million but the coin is worth almost
nothing to me. I have little interest in collecting coins, and while I
appreciate its rarity I think it is ridicules [sic] for anyone to
spend millions of dollars on an old, beat up coin. If someone told me
that the coin was one of five rare coins that was thought to be lost
over four decades ago, I would say the coin is worth no more than 20
dollars. And at that price I wouldn't even consider purchasing it. The
coin is worth about 10 dollars to me. It would be mearly [sic] a
novelty item to put on a dresser above the fireplace as a cheap
decoration with a little history behind it. There are a lot of other
things that I would rather spend my hard earned money on, than a 5
cent piece from the early 1900's."

What a jerk!
Old August 7th 03, 04:09 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

James McCown wrote:

[...]

The student needz a spielchecker, two.

Alan
'some folks require utility'
Old August 7th 03, 04:22 PM
BobbyShaw

[...]

Just think... That $2,000,000 could by one SWEEEET Mustang, a KICK A$$ stereo,
and still have some left over for about 100,000 CD's.

Where's your priorities, man?

;-)

Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html
Old August 7th 03, 05:00 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Dale Hallmark wrote:

"James McCown" wrote in message
om...
I teach Money and Banking and one of the assignments I give to my
students is to find a relevant article and write a short review of it.

Snip

There are a lot of other
things that I would rather spend my hard earned money on, than a 5
cent piece from the early 1900's."

What a jerk!

He may be a jerk or not, but not liking coins shouldn't make him one,
though that was my first reaction too :-).

I have to agree in part though, that if I had that kind of money to blow, a
1913 Nickel wouldn't be on my top 100 list of coins to spend it on, not even
considering
vacation properties, cars etc. Heck it probably wouldn't make my top 500 list.

Then there's problem of the population then expanding by 20% every 40 years...

Alan
'statistics ate my homework'
Old August 7th 03, 05:01 PM
Dale Hallmark

"James McCown" wrote in message
om...
I teach Money and Banking and one of the assignments I give to my
students is to find a relevant article and write a short review of it.

Snip

There are a lot of other
things that I would rather spend my hard earned money on, than a 5
cent piece from the early 1900's."

What a jerk!

He may be a jerk or not, but not liking coins shouldn't make him one,
though that was my first reaction too :-).

I have to agree in part though, that if I had that kind of money to blow, a
1913 Nickel wouldn't be on my top 100 list of coins to spend it on, not even
considering
vacation properties, cars etc. Heck it probably wouldn't make my top 500 list.

Dale

--
"Wien ist anders"
my website:

Old August 7th 03, 05:16 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

I have to agree in part though, that if I had that kind of money to
blow, a 1913 Nickel wouldn't be on my top 100 list of coins to spend
it on, not even considering
vacation properties, cars etc. Heck it probably wouldn't make my top
500 list.

Dale

It's all relative, Dale. $2 million sounds like a lot of money to you and
me, but to the Billionaire it might only be "front pocket money". The
older I get, the more I realize that "disposable income" is a very broad
term indeed and that what is one person's junk is another person's treasure.
That's what keeps flea markets and "antique" shops in business.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 7th 03, 05:33 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

I have to agree in part though, that if I had that kind of money to
blow, a 1913 Nickel wouldn't be on my top 100 list of coins to spend
it on, not even considering
vacation properties, cars etc. Heck it probably wouldn't make my top
500 list.

Dale

It's all relative, Dale. $2 million sounds like a lot of money to you and
me, but to the Billionaire it might only be "front pocket money". The
older I get, the more I realize that "disposable income" is a very broad
term indeed and that what is one person's junk is another person's treasure.
That's what keeps flea markets and "antique" shops in business.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621
eBay: edh.

True. I worked on a construction site, building a weekend house
for a guy that paid 25 million in Income taxes that year.
His toys were ....hummmm.... impressive :-)

Dale

Old August 7th 03, 06:02 PM
Scottishmoney

[...]

Reminds me of the comment a student made to my wife when he handed her a
couple of Mercury Dimes in payment for his lunch ticket a couple of years
ago:

"Why would anybody be interested in these cr&ppy things?'

I would like to think he thought the same thing of Peace dollars lurking
around his house.

Dave

Old August 7th 03, 06:22 PM
Ira Stein

Dondi wrote:

But a logical jerk, nontheless. I would never try to defend the
reasonableness
of
coin collecting to a non-believer.

I'd give the kid an "A" and deduct one grade for poor spelling...

dondi3

Years ago, I showed my late mother an 1807 dime I bought at a show in Florida.
My folks lived there then in retrement, so I often tried to vist a local show
or two during our vists to the Sunshine State. I paid $300 for that dime in EF
condition.

"You paid $300 for that DIME?" she said. "You really need to have your head
examined! Such a foolish purchase!"

So, you're right on, Don. Hard to convince a non-believer that a coin could be
worth more than its face value! I've tried, but the non-believer always seems
to regard me with abject sympathy.

Ira Stein