Bad symbolism in ANA logo

Old August 6th 03, 10:17 PM
Bob Flaminio

Chris1 wrote:
"Frank Provasek" wrote in message

Well tell Mr. Bush and Mr. Ashcroft...they are the ones leading the
call against all Muslims as "suspects."

Yes, I'm aware of that. History repeats itself. Sieg Heil.

How can you possibly believe these things? Do you really consider Bush

be equal to Hitler? Democrats sure are hurting these days, that's for

sure.

Just say "Godwin" and declare the thread over.

--
Bob

Old August 7th 03, 12:09 AM
Bob Flaminio

Bob Flaminio wrote:
Frank Provasek wrote:
Nike had a line of sneakers with the word AIR in flames
which looked like Allah is Arabic. Walking on Allah's
name was a public relations disaster.

Never heard of this one, but I doubt its veracity as well.

Found a cite for the Nike one; looks like it's true:
http://isgkc.org/nike1.htm
Nice looking shoes.

The Nova thingee is still bunk, however.

--
Bob

Old August 7th 03, 12:09 AM
Linda

I think that's why Exxon had to change it's name from "Esso." If memory
serves, it was because "Esso" meant "stopped car" in Japanese.

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
y.com...

Bad symbolism has killed many advertising campaigns,

such as the Chevy Nova, where no va means "doesn't go" in
Spanish speaking countries.

Nike had a line of sneakers with the word AIR in flames
which looked like Allah is Arabic. Walking on Allah's
name was a public relations disaster.

RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259
Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association, Fort Worth Coin Club.
Member: Texas Numismatic Assoc, American Numismatic Assoc.

Old August 7th 03, 03:27 AM
Jason Ditz

(Frank Provasek) wrote in message gy.com...

They also didn't get that the partial coin rim and edge was a coin, but
rather a crescent MOON.

So if the Liberty head means 9-11, it's even worse that the
shape and orientation of the "moon" is the same as

http://www.rcs.ir/

So first we take a statue of liberty, which is an international symbol
of freedom, and then we include the symbol of the Red Crescent, an
international group dedicated to saving innocent lives.

Umm... How dare they?
Old August 7th 03, 03:29 AM
Bruce Remick

Frank Provasek wrote:

I showed the new ANA logo to some educated professionals that were not coin
collectors. No one identified it with coins, but most people thought the
Peace Dollar design was the Statue of Liberty, and had some connection to
New York City, perhaps 9-11?

Did you also show them the existing ANA logo, and did they immediately
associate THAT with coins? How about the PNG logo? What or who do you
think the ANA logo is meant for? Non-coin collectors? Other ANA
members to recognize one another?

Sure, a lot of coin folks are pretty disappointed in the final ANA logo
design, but what does this have to do with what educated professionals
who don't collect coins think? I don't know offhand what the teachers,
doctors, or lawyers organizational logos look like, but I wouldn't be
surprised if I couldn't make the correct association if shown one out of
context. But then it's not meant to be meaningful to me.

Boy, Frank. That's two controversial threads you've started today.

Bruce
Old August 7th 03, 03:39 AM
Bruce Remick

Linda wrote:

I think that's why Exxon had to change it's name from "Esso." If memory
serves, it was because "Esso" meant "stopped car" in Japanese.

But then XX might connote explosives to someone, too. %)

You may be right, but I thought that the ESSO Exxon was just part of
the mini-trend among some oil companies to modernize their names from
oil company abbreviations or acronyms (e.g. Eastern States Standard Oil
or Cities Service) to hep zingers like Exxon and Citgo.

Bruce
Old August 7th 03, 09:42 AM
Frank Provasek

In article , (Jason Ditz) wrote:
(Frank Provasek) wrote in message
gy.com...

They also didn't get that the partial coin rim and edge was a coin, but
rather a crescent MOON.

So if the Liberty head means 9-11, it's even worse that the
shape and orientation of the "moon" is the same as

http://www.rcs.ir/

So first we take a statue of liberty, which is an international symbol
of freedom, and then we include the symbol of the Red Crescent, an
international group dedicated to saving innocent lives.

Umm... How dare they?

Unfortunately, Red Crescent workers have been involved in a number of
activities NOT dedicated to saving innocent lives...

http://www.israel-embassy.org.uk/web/pages/infomed.htm

Old August 7th 03, 11:58 AM
Linda

This was years and years ago, probably 70's. I was still living at home so
it's been a *long* time, but it was quite a topic at the time on the news,
one of those hardy-har-har things the news anchors like to smirk about.

Old August 7th 03, 03:35 PM
Jason Ditz

Frank Provasek wrote:

[...]

I think the International Teachers' Association has a logo of a sickle
being jabbed into the skull of a child, with a hammer crossing it.

Honestly, you guys are soooooo sensitive
Old August 7th 03, 04:29 PM
J. A. McNerney

Don Hovatter wrote:

"Linda" wrote in message
Perhaps you need to better inform yourself of the facts, instead of

slogans
and propaganda across US mainstream media. And perhaps, consider the
possibility, I'm not a democrat, and simply far better informed than you.

What makes you think people need better information? The fact some people
don't agree with your political philosophies is no indication they are
uniformed. The fact that you think all who disagree with you are moronic
propaganda fed robots is proof you are absolute uninformed. I don't care if
you're a Democrat or a packrat, you're just another arrogant liberal who
thinks they know what's best for the world. I don't need you to tell me how
to think Linda, so please don't.

Don

---

Can you name one good thing that has happened since the republicans took over?

JAM