Ebay policy puts PCI out of business

Old December 23rd 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default No Request Too Easy

On Dec 21, 8:49�am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

Sincerely sorry that you and your 16-year-old son were inconvenienced and
enticed to open each post in this Usenet thread expecting to read some
profound numismatic information.

Not necessarily profound, but I do expect to read about collecting
coins.

�We now realize your time is quite valuable
so we'll try to reduce your bother by putting OT in the header like you
suggested in your post, and which you should have done yourself so we
wouldn't have had to bother reading it.

The point was to HAVE you read it (plural you.) It's not so much the
waste of our time (and everybody's time), it's more that I am trying
to teach my son to treat people decently and act maturely, and
sometimes it seems that the majority of these posts are insults,
flames, irrational and/or pointless off-topic arguments, etc. That's
not what a list is for. I subscribed to this newsgroup for him (Google
only lets me use one email address for all my groups, so I forward
these to him, and use his email address as the visible name) He's been
interested in US coins ever since he bought a Peace Dollar as part of
his project on WWI in ninth grade. I told him he would learn a lot
from people with years of experience. I did not mean how to be rude,
vulgar or childish.
To those who felt they HAD to respond to people who were being
unreasonable or incorrect, I can understand how hard it can be NOT to
say something. But it's better to go off-list than off-topic. Arguing
with them is almost always a waste of time anyway, and you're just
giving them another chance to spout hatred and/or inaccuracies.
To those who discuss coin collecting and relevant subjects, and do
it in a reasonable, intelligent manner, thank you!! We are grateful
for the opportunity to learn from you.
Regards,
Judith
Old December 23rd 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

" wrote in message
[...]

***From your description of your son it sounds as if he is a carbon copy of
myself when I was 16. No internet then, of course, but picture a kid
sitting at his desk sifting through a couple $50 bags of pennies every
weekend and you'll see me.

As for your goals for him, growing up is all about learning to make choices.
If you try to shield your son from all that you consider evil in the world,
he will never know how to deal with it on his own, in fact, he may not ever
learn to recognize it, and as a result fall prey to it time after time.
Nothing beats a healthy skepticism gained at an early age, coupled with the
scars and scrapes of a few bad decisions of a less serious nature made along
the way.

For you to expect everyone here to remain on topic at all times and to
maintain decorum at all times is unrealistic. This newsgroup is a microcosm
of the world outside, and your son needs to learn how to deal with it -
"take the grain, and let the chaff go" as the poet intoned. If your son is
16, and unless he has been sequestered in his room since birth, he has
already been exposed to most of the evil such as exists in RCC. If he has
been reading here for any length of time at all, he no doubt already has a
mental list of people to take with a grain of salt. That's good. Perhaps I
am on his list. That's OK, my fortune doesn't rise or fall with the level
of my readership.

If he has made it this far, he'll turn out just fine. As a career high
school teacher I met countless parents who fretted over their kids the same
way you are doing. My advice was always to let them have some space to
grow.

By the way, we need some new ideas about collecting from a young person's
perspective around here. I think it would be neat if he'd start posting
himself.

James

Old December 23rd 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 23, 6:29*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
" wrote in message

[...]

A nice reasoned reply, mon prof. IMHO, you're very nice to assume
that this OP isn't a sockpuppet in drag.

A lot of people might have gone off on a tangent, like "Jeez-Peez,
just what numismatics needs - another 16 year-old male sublimating his
sexual ambiguities into silly old coin collecting - while a ball-
busting parent screws with the kid's little mind"!!!

Tangent-wise (Tangentially?, or dare I use the word "Tangenitally"?),
I'd guess the poor kid needs a car and a girlfriend.

oly
Old December 23rd 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

" wrote in message

[...]

*** Even if she turns out to be Dr. Ewan Jackson in drag, I stand by
everything I have said, as there may be others who will find some use for
it.

James

Old December 23rd 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Dec 23, 7:29*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

By the way, we need some new ideas about collecting from a young person's
perspective around here. *I think it would be neat if he'd start posting
himself.

Frankly that's the last thing we need.
I don't really give a hoot in hell what some pimply-faced little
punk's opinion on numismatics is.
IMO the kid should be out trying to get laid, not sticking pennies in
a Whitman folder!
Old December 23rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

" wrote in message

[...]

Prolonged and vigorous scratching of the old cabeza just caused me to
remember a posting made here in August 2007, in which the poster mentioned
that he was a 16-year-old collector and that his name was Joshua. He was
asking for coin buying advice.

James

Old December 23rd 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bland-Allison

" proclaimed in
:

The point was to HAVE you read it (plural you.) It's not so much the
waste of our time (and everybody's time), it's more that I am trying
to teach my son to treat people decently and act maturely, and
sometimes it seems that the majority of these posts are insults,
flames, irrational and/or pointless off-topic arguments, etc. That's
not what a list is for.

Though you say you are on other newsgroups, you seem to have no idea what
Usenet is and how it works. I assume that's because you're coming in
through Google. No offense meant. Most people who haven't been here
since the dinosaurs don't dnow what Usenet is and how it works.

Most usenet groups are unmoderated; the last wild frontier of the
Interwebs. Lots of spam, lots of fools. If you use a Newsgroup client
instead of Google you can filter them out over time. Complaining and
demanding mannerly behavior does no good at all.

You and your son will probably be much happier he

Lots of smart people to answer questions and moderators to keep things on
topic,
Old January 10th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

Default Ebay policy puts PCI out of business

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
I don't particularly favor one group over another. I simply hold Bush
and
his closest advisors accountable for our dilema. Others have a different
opinion.

Right. He shares blame, if any is to be shared. As do the others.

Except only Bush is POTUS. GET IT? I doubt it.

Old January 11th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

Dave Hinz wrote:

How about clinton, clinton, pelosi, kerry, kennedy, schumer, and all
the
others quotes in the snopes link above, which predate Bush's election?

Exactly! That is from wwaaaaaaayyy before Bush invaded Iraq. Bush should
have relied on more recent, reliable intel. Like, oh I don't know... the UN
inspectors maybe? They tried to tell Bush there was nothing there. They
were right. Bush was wrong. Get over it.

--
"At a time when voters yearn for competence and have soured on
Washington because too often the Bush administration has not