It's easy to see who your friends are...

Old March 26th 04, 04:57 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:43:52 -0600, "Bill Krummel"
wrote:

Believe it or not, there are days when I have a hard time finding something
about which to feel guilty. I am starting to sweat my use of the non-pc
expression above, though. Could turn into guilt. I never know. 8) Bill

Your are surrounded by ice cream all day long. That's good for a permanent
state of guilt, IMO.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old March 26th 04, 01:26 PM
John Carney

"DONDI3" wrote

I can't believe the number of people who really think that somehow plonkING
hurts the plonkEE more than the plonkER...but, then again, some people would, I
suppose be too dense to realize that fact.

For the most part I agree. There are some, however, who add absolutely nothing to the RCC
experience and nothing is lost by sending them to the great killfile in the sky. It's not
a matter of *hurting* them, it's just a matter filtering the noise.

Dondi3
(doesn't "back down" when he's right, either)

Nor should you. Backing down when you're wrong does have merit though. ;o)

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old March 26th 04, 03:08 PM
George D

F B wrote:
Scott, they do, or at least did monitor RCC. Many of us are blocked from
bidding on AH's and other accounts. Believe me, we've tried....)

I am

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old March 26th 04, 03:12 PM
George D

note.boy wrote:
K6AZ wrote:

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:52:49 -0500, Bruce Hickmott wrote:

1) Ebay permits MUCH more obvious shilling than this. And this doesn't even meet
MY definition of shilling.

2) Anybody who thinks Eric needs to shill to get good prices for the VERY nice
morgans he's selling isn't paying attention.

3) Anybody who thinks that Eric would shill isn't paying attention, either.

And then there is the fact that out of the 11 auctions that I have put up in
the last month that have closed, 9 have been won and paid for by RCC'ers.

And this proves what exactly?

Perhaps someone can explain how you are shilling when the same RCC'ers
who have bid on the auctions won some of them, and paid, and the coin was
shipped to him.

You think that shill bids never win auctions? See sellers scottishnotes
(not Dave Parrish, he is scottishmoney) and andymsp, they are brothers.

I'm not sure what his problem is, but he has gone from someone who I thought
was a decent participant here to a jerk. This is the third time this is happened
lately. Something must have got into their drinking water.

The response always given by someone that has no convincing argument to
offer.

Do you or do you not have an arrangement that some RCC'ers bid on your
auctions to prevent prices being too low? Did I read your initial post
in this thread wrongly? Billy

IMHO it is in no way shilling if you bid on an auction with the intent of paying if you
receive the winning bid. I have bid on many RCCers auctions and won a few. If a auction
for a $20.00 item is started with a $.99 opening bid and I bid $10.00 and some how win it
I got a bargain. If I don't win it it was a honest bid.

How is that shilling?

Old March 26th 04, 04:00 PM
DONDI3

In article , "John Carney"
writes:

"DONDI3" wrote

I can't believe the number of people who really think that somehow plonkING
hurts the plonkEE more than the plonkER...but, then again, some people

would, I
suppose be too dense to realize that fact.

For the most part I agree. There are some, however, who add absolutely
nothing to the RCC
experience and nothing is lost by sending them to the great killfile in the
sky. It's not
a matter of *hurting* them, it's just a matter filtering the noise.

And that I can understand. Cutting off someone like that racist character who
plops in here occasionally is probably a good idea. Responding, as easy as it
is, is a waste of time, so "filtering" him out just gets rid of noise, like
static. It can be done quietly & without public announcement.

The practice of "plonking", however, is juvenile and serves little purpose
except to demonstrate the inadequacy of the plonker's contribution to the
discussion at hand. It's intended purpose is to damage the recipient, but
actually damages the the plonker by revealing undesirable character traits and
discloses to all readers the fact that the point he wishes to make is beyond
his ability to make it, or the argument itself is weak. As I said, it's the
online version of the playground's "Oh YEEAH? sez WHO?".

I will likely filter out that racist bozo, the next time I see his posting
name, (and, no, don't post it as that's what prompts him to come back with more
defacation).
However, I won't announce it as that what he lives for. The silliness of the
act is the one single thing I agree with him on.

Dondi3
(doesn't "back down" when he's right, either)

Nor should you. Backing down when you're wrong does have merit though. ;o)

That's what works so well here. Some DO recognize and take responsibility for,
their erroneous postings. Others won't back down, wrong or right. I've
noticed a
correlation between "plonking" and the acceptance of responsibility for one's
errors. You don't have to admit you're wrong, you just "plonk". That's why I
find the
term be somewhat laughable and pitiable at the same time.

dondi3

DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old March 26th 04, 05:11 PM
DONDI3

In article , George D
writes:

IMHO it is in no way shilling if you bid on an auction with the intent of
paying if you
receive the winning bid. I have bid on many RCCers auctions and won a few. If
a auction
for a $20.00 item is started with a $.99 opening bid and I bid $10.00 and
some how win it
I got a bargain. If I don't win it it was a honest bid.

How is that shilling?

--
George D

If that were true, George, then the shill would simply avoid responsibility for
the illegal act by paying if he made a mistake and outbid the person he was
trying to ensnare with his shill bid. Most shills (if they are any good) do
NOT intentionally WIN the auction. That would serve no purpose except to incur
a fee due Ebay.

Shills try to force others to outbid them. A bad shill wins the auction.

Old March 26th 04, 09:39 PM
gogu

? "F B" ?????? ??? ??????
Scott, they do, or at least did monitor RCC. Many of us are blocked from
bidding on AH's and other accounts. Believe me, we've tried....)

Doris, if you or another rcc-er wants to bid on their auctions, just ask ;-)
I'll be glad to help.

--
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old March 26th 04, 10:47 PM
note.boy

I fully expect RCC'ers to bid on each others auctions, it would be odd
if they didn't, and we all like a bargain occasionally don't we.

I do get concerned however when I see a post complaining about being
"let down" by his regular RCC bidders, it looked to me like he expected
RCC'ers to prevent his items being sold too low, that could be construed
as inviting shill bidding could it not?

I've posted "FA" links here but I don't complain if it results in no one
bidding. Billy

Old March 27th 04, 03:50 AM
ISteveador

am wishing that I had never opened this thread. had to go look at Eric's other
auctions, now I have a reawakened lust for CC Morgans with a beautiful reverse
side, and with the CC's it's the reverse that counts. gee now am I
spamming???
Old March 27th 04, 06:46 AM
Paul Robertz

"John Carney" wrote in message ...
"J. Craton" wrote in message

Point 3. Eric, please don't plonk anyone over this. Both Billy and Don are valuable
posters on RCC. Let's just chalk this up to "a heat of the moment" type thing. Forget

it.

Valuable posters? Maybe .... worthy of a good plonking? IMO .. yes. Not
for this case maybe but they likes to stir de pots.

Nah...not regulars. If I were Eric, I wouldn't plonk anyone based on that thread. I only
have one person who was a somewhat regular in my killfile. That was due to his constant
abrasiveness and vitriolic anti-US stance.

It takes me longer to "plonk" than to ignore silly arguments here. I
am proud to have purchased the ugliest coins offered me by both Eric
and Dondi: an obscenely defaced Flying Eagle cent from one, and a PO-1
$2.5 gold Indian with solder damage from the other.