Rock-o-la CD-8 bubbler newbie questions

Old May 10th 04, 04:44 AM
Kyle Wren

Default Rock-o-la CD-8 bubbler newbie questions

Picked up a decent Rock-o-la bubbler repro at auction over the weekend. My
expertise (what little I have) is mainly pinball, so I don't know where to
start. It's pretty much functional, but I'll probably need a few parts for it to
make it cherry, and I might have either a tone adjustment problem or a blown
speaker (really "bassy" music sounds fine, but higher kid's type music sounded
pretty bad, sounded like a blown speaker to me but I don't even know how to get
into the menu to test that theory yet).

Here are my questions, I appreciate any informational posts or email replys that
I get:

Found all the paperwork inside except for the all-important manual. Where can a
guy get one of those. The model on the back says it's a CD-8.

I think it might need one bubble tube replaced, and possibly the lens in front
of it (I see chunks of what looks like glass trapped inbetween the tube and the
lense, I haven't taken it apart to see what is going on). Is the bubble fluid
still caustic like in the old jukes? Where is a good place to obtain parts if I
end up needing them?

Anything special I should know if I am going to be removing/handling those
bubble tubes?

Do you guys have luck finding the light bulbs or fluorescent tubes locally, or
should I plan on getting those from a juke parts supplier too. All of the
incandescent bulbs are out, and the fluorescent tubes look pretty burned on the
ends as well so I was thinking about replacing everything at once.

I found the remote and the cable for the remote in the parts bag inside. Hooked
it up and it works, but is there a place to mount the sensor inside the cabinet,
or is that thing supposed to be routed to the outside or something. Probably a
stupid question. Possible a lot of these are stupid questions.

Is there software available for printing title strips, or does everyone just
improvise those?

Sorry for the long post and pitiful plea for help.

TIA

Kyle Wren
"Worst... Ball... EVER!!"

Old May 10th 04, 04:47 AM
Kyle Wren

Whoops, I forgot I had one more question. How can I determine the date of
manufacture of this thing? I looked all over the inside and the tag on the
outside, that was the one bit of info I couldn't find. Can it be determined
somehow by the serial number?

Thanks again!

Kyle Wren
"Worst... Ball... EVER!!"

Old May 10th 04, 01:11 PM
mike

See below:

Manuals are online at www.rock-ola.com

still caustic like in the old jukes? Where is a good place to obtain parts

if I
end up needing them?

If the fluid is already dried, you are probably ok, I have restored several
that had broken tubes
and had long since dried. Cheapest place for replacement bubble tubes is
www.wurco.com @ $28.00+shipping
Measure the length to be sure; theirs are made for Wurlitzer OMT and
original models.
If you have trashed tubes, chances are it destroyed plastics along with it.
I believe www.victoryglass.com has repro pilasters that should fit the CD8

Anything special I should know if I am going to be removing/handling those
bubble tubes?

be careful and be sure to remove all the old tube - sometimes they are
broken and the lowest one inch or so is still inside the heater sleeve.

Do you guys have luck finding the light bulbs or fluorescent tubes

locally, or
should I plan on getting those from a juke parts supplier too. All of the
incandescent bulbs are out, and the fluorescent tubes look pretty burned

on the
ends as well so I was thinking about replacing everything at once.

The small flourescents fortunately can be picked up at Wal Mart, home Depot,
etc.

I found the remote and the cable for the remote in the parts bag inside.

Hooked
it up and it works, but is there a place to mount the sensor inside the

cabinet,
or is that thing supposed to be routed to the outside or something.

Probably a
stupid question. Possible a lot of these are stupid questions.

Not sure on this one, you can call Rockola and their techs can probably
guide you. May be docs online for the remote install as well.

Is there software available for printing title strips, or does everyone

just
improvise those?

Yes, there is retail software availble for purchase at
www.lowprofilesoftware.com Some people find that after they puchase a juke,
they have little money left and will improvise using Kens ot other online MS
Word or MSPowerpoint templates and make their own. Am sure people will post
their links in reponse or do a Google on it. You will find them.

Good luck

Old May 10th 04, 04:19 PM
mike

Most of the Rock-ola boxes are characterized by the color of the components
inside.
First generation were silver colored and were Rowe components made for
Rock-ola.
2nd generation were black components and were known for common ribbon cable
problems.
3rd generation I believe were red components
Current gen are shipping with orange colored SyberSonic components

The serial and DOM should be on the silver data tag on back of the box; if
not Rockola can probably give you info on where else this should be found
and/or approximate age of your box

Old May 10th 04, 04:21 PM
Kyle Wren

Thanks Mike, I appreciate all the advice!

In article , mike says...

See below:

Manuals are online at www.rock-ola.com

[...]

171 Classic Rock 8 track tapes! 8-tracks! NR Ebay Item #: 4006357658 Mark Bugno 8 Track Tapes 0 April 12th 04 09:53 PM
newbie KC Autographs 9 January 25th 04 05:24 AM
Newbie with questions Glenn \(SBfan2000\) Autographs 2 August 23rd 03 09:26 PM