Auto and game used Hot Packs on Ebay what's up with these? NOT SPAM

Old September 28th 04, 05:37 AM
Mike Pully

Default Auto and game used Hot Packs on Ebay what's up with these? NOT SPAM

What's up with all of these sellers on Ebay selling guaranteed hot packs on
Ebay?You know the ones for auction that say "guaranteed auto or game used"
How in the hell do they know? I saw one today,. a 2003 spx baseball pack
with a guaranteed auto or game used. Do card companies tell dealers where
these packs are? Or do they send them a box of hot packs? What is the deal.
I tell ya it's crooked.

Old September 28th 04, 10:45 PM
Scott Henrichs

They search retail packs for the "hot" packs in most cases. They weigh
or feel the packs to find the GU or Auto and of course the retail stores
don't know any better to stop them.

For the higher end stuff such as spx and sp authentic they of course can
only get in hobby stores. Although I'm not positive, I'm guessing they
search them and then pawn off the remaining dud packs to customers (if
their dealers) or just sell them on the net without advertising them as
hot packs.

In most cases the people that do these are thought of as the scum of the
hobby.

Old September 29th 04, 09:41 AM
Mike Pully

That's why I don't like buying loose packs at card shops. Especially when
they are behind the counter and they pick em' for you.

I'm sure alot of these guys buy so much of a product that it becomes common
knowledge as to where the hot packs are in the box.Then they still sell the
remainder of the packs at full retail making your average consumer think
they have a great shot at something that doesn't exist. So by the time you
take a box of "Brand A" 24 packs. which has a retail sale value of
$65.00.Find the hot pack,sell the remaining 23 packs at say $4.00.You are
already up to $92.00 then take the "Hot" pack and put it on ebay with a high
but it now price of $20 to $30.00.You have a total of $112.00 to $122.00
..It's pretty damn shady. Makes it hard for an average collector to get
anything good buying a few packs at a time.

And then if you do get suckered into buying one of the "hot" packs chances
are you are just going to get crappy g/u of Joe Blow or an auto of someone
like Brien Taylor or Ryan Leaf. or whoever else fits into that category. I
know this kind of thing has been going on for quite sometime.I s just plain
ridiculous.So many people get ripped off and don't even know it.That's why
now I just mainly buy single's and Packs from freshly opened boxes where I
can pick my own packs.If you are a buying all of these high end packs from
them from anywhere up to triple digits do damn well better be able to pick
for yourself The good ol' card world is getting sadder and sadder everyday.

Anyway I am just rambling on.

Later

Old October 1st 04, 07:45 PM
Bobby Poll

Mike And Scott,
Our hobby is becoming quite shady. I fully agree. I am now 23
and have been involved in shows, ebay etc since I was 11. There has
been a drastic change in the dealer's mentality. It is a cut throat
business and alot of dealers do search packs. As to the hot packs on
ebay. Most of those come from people that search packs at targets,
walmarts etc. I was once offered 400 "hot packs" but didn't like the
ethical circumstances that would ensue from putting them on ebay.
Shops don't search packs as much because they have a credibility issue
and don't want to see their customers constantly get stiffed. Walmart
and target could care less if their packs are searched. Another thing,
game used and material cards. There are just another insert now adays
so it really doesn't make since to search packs for a card you will
get $1.00 on ebay for when you have $3 to $5 invested into the pack.
My thoughts are that the hobby is getting to big, card companies
produce 400+ products a year and kids can't afford the decent
products. They are killing themselves and the hobby.

Bobby 112