Appel's pick of the day - Corey Dillon

Old November 3rd 03, 09:12 AM
Appel

Default Appel's pick of the day - Corey Dillon

I'd like to see Dillon get out & stop bitching. I really hope he gets to
a big market team for the exposure. Then again, many consider him a punk
ass bitch.

He's been banged up this season - but the MRI on his knee shows "no
serious damage" (http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/ffl/playernewsarchive?
statsId=3879).

Recent eBay prices show how far his cards have dropped:
1997 SP Authentic Corey Dillon Rookie PSA 10 ($100)
1997 Topps Chrome Corey Dillon PSA 10 ($37.25)

Is Dillon a good risk? At these depressed prices? He hasn't been too
impressive this season so far, so if I want his cards, I'd want to hold
them until next season.

What do you guys think?

Old November 5th 03, 05:21 AM
MikeCouil

Dillon is a good buy right now. Like Plummer last season, Dillon is a stud
trapped on a pathetic team (at least in his eyes). I made a bundle on Plummer
and will on Dillon as well. He IS selfish and he IS a cancer in the locker
room. I'm buying right now and plan to sell in week one of next season, after
he busts out for 100 yards and everyone is yelling MVP. I'll get rid of them
before half way through the season when his true colors show.

Mike

Old November 5th 03, 09:44 PM

Jake Plummer is nothing like Corey Dillon. In 6 seasons playing for a
garbage team, Dillon has never rushed for fewer than 1,100 yards per
season. Plummer has done nothing comperable at his position. Plummer
was off to a good start this season, but he had Clinton Portis rushing
and a soft schedule where the Broncos beat Houston, Chicago &
Cincinnati in 3 of the 5 games Plummer started. Even Brian Griese was
able to put up a passing rating over 100 playing in QB friendly
Denver. I watched Plummer's games many times when he was at Arizona
State but he has yet to live up to his potential. This is Plummer's
7th season as a starter and as collectors we're still paying prices
based on his potential? At least with Corey Dillon, you're paying for
6 years of NFL success.

Old November 6th 03, 02:42 PM
MikeCouil

Jake Plummer is a PERFECT example of why to buy Corey Dillon right now, and
that is the only comparison I used. I never once compared their stats or
argued how good or bad of a quarterback Plummer is.

On that note, I happen to believe Plummer is better than you give him credit
for, but for now we can agree to disagree. We can also agree to disagree on
Griese, who I think is a much better QB than you give credit for as well. He
loses his composure in big games but always seemed to do well in the regular
season. The great running backs he had? Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson, who
both went on to have obviously hall of fame careers after rushing for 1000
yards in rookie seasons. With such a scrub at tailback as Clinton Portis,
Plummer has an outside chance at doing just a tad bit better than he did in
Arizona.
I stand by my pick, but if you go search google newsgroups for my posts this
past offseason, both Dillon and Plummer were strong buys for me because I
really thought Dillon would be dealt or released this past offseason.

On yet another note, I just purchased 3 more certified Plummer autos and some
PSA 9 rookies. I think once he has a decent first round playoff game they'll
be worth their weight in gold.

Mike

Old November 7th 03, 03:31 AM

Many sellers made a killing with Plummer. Going in to this season, how
couldn't he be better starting off the year as a Bronco against weak
opponents? Of course the idiots who buy hot cards would be jumping on
the bandwagon like they always do. What I took exception to was your
line "Like Plummer last season, Dillon is a stud trapped on a pathetic
team" Plummer hasn't been a stud since his days at ASU. He certainly
hasn't been a stud in his first 6 seasons. Dillon has been a stud on a
garbage team every year he's been in the NFL. There's the big
difference.

Old November 7th 03, 03:56 PM
MikeCouil

Ok I can see how you could disagree with that statement, but I still happen to
believe he IS a stud. Look at the QB's starting around the league. Plummer is
EASILY better than half of them and he's playing for a VERY collector friendly
team in a good offensive system.

What QB's in the NFL do you consider studs?

There are SO many "stars" right now that aren't doing well AT ALL. I can only
think of a handful of like 10 QB's in the NFL worth half a crap right now and I
would certainly put Plummer in that group.

Both Steve Beurlein and Danny Kannell have looked like absolute garbage in
Denver after Plummer was hurt. Granted, I dont ever remember seeing Kannell
NOT look like crap, but still...

Mike

Old November 7th 03, 06:06 PM
SolomonDCramer

I can only
think of a handful of like 10 QB's in the NFL worth half a crap right now and
would certainly put Plummer in that group.

QBs I'd much rather have than Plummer:

Bulger
Warner
Green
Favre
McNabb
Vick
K Collins
McNair
Culpepper
Manning
Bledsoe
Brady

that's 12.

QBs who are close to Plummer, I'd still rank above:
Garcia
Pennington
Carr
Harrington
Old November 8th 03, 11:30 AM
MikeCouil

And now I get to critique

QBs I'd much rather have than Plummer:

Bulger---You or I could throw for 150 yards a game with that offense and that

field

Warner---Not even a starter, let alone a top 10 QB.

Green--He's one of my 10
Favre-- One of the greats but anyone who thinks he isn't on the decline has

their head buried in the sand. He's only got 2 seasons left in the tank
McNabb--You sure about this one? Hes looked AWFUL bad this season. He's not

on my top 10 list.
Vick--HURT. He's on my top 10 and is obviously one of the leagues ultimate

weapons
K Collins--Another guy who has looked laughable this season. How can you nock

Plummer but tout Collins? Not on my list
McNair--League MVP thus far
Culpepper--Stud
Manning--Stud
Bledsoe--There was a great article on si.com about Bledsoe recently. It talks

about how little he has done throughout this career but yet everyone still
believes he's one of the leagues best.
Brady--My personal runner up for MVP thus far

that's 12.--many of whom you vastly overrate.

QBs who are close to Plummer, I'd still rank above:
Garcia--Has looked VERY old this season. QB in a great system and still

hasn't looked good this season.

Pennington--Stud
Carr--Stud
Harrington--LOL. Are you serious? They would have benched him already if it

werent' for the fact that hey have NOBODY behind him.