1966 Topps baseball cards

Old July 31st 03, 04:06 PM
hollywood_steve

Default 1966 Topps baseball cards

Greetings,

When cleaning out some boxes while back east for a funeral, I came
upon an old cigar box filled with my baseball cards. I had collected
cards for maybe 4 or 5 years when I was a kid, from around '65 to '69
or so. I hadn't seen or even thought about these cards in over 30
years and was surprised that somehow, the 1966 year survived several
moves by my parents. (the rest of the cards are long gone). So I
brought the box back with me to LA last week and I'm trying to get a
handle on their worth before trying to sell them. Unfortunately, the
pricing info that is available online varies tremendously. Based on a
couple of hours of research, my 165 cards could be worth anywhere from
$100 to $2,000 !?! Individual cards (Gaylord Perry, Robin Roberts,
and others) are listed as "scarce" on all sites; but "scarce" meant
$7ea on one site and $150 on another?!? I realize that condition has
a lot to do with value, but I've been trying to take that into
account. How can someone who has been away from baseball cards for 35
years get a clue without investing lots of time?

Thanks.

Steve

Old August 3rd 03, 05:36 PM
A crummy commercial - sonofabitch

Subject: 1966 Topps baseball cards
From: (hollywood_steve)
Date: 7/31/2003 11:06 AM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

Steve, if you want my advice, your best bet of getting the best value for your
cards is by selling them on eBay. Pick up a Beckett price guide to figure
out who the stars are, and sell those individually. Sell the commons in
lots, that way you can get rid of them more quickly and more cheaply by paying
one listing fee rather than, say 7 or 12. Start them off with realistic bid
prices to attract bidders. If the card is good enough, believe me, it will get
good bids, so don't worry about the opening price. I always open my
auctions at $1, no matter the price of the card.

Normally, online prices are much much lower than card store or card show
prices. That's just the nature of the business. Shop and show prices
closely reflect Beckett prices, while on eBay, a card could go from anywhere
from 15% to 120% of Beckett prices, depending mainly on scarcity and the
hotness of the player. Condition counts as well, since Beckett prices are for
the top conditions, with each lower grade being a certain % of the top
condition. You can find that grading scale in the magazines as well. Remember
also that a card shop might be the only one within a 20 mile radius so they may
have the only example of a certain card. On eBay, you might find 20 of the
same card.

So if you were going to sell them to a shop, you'd actually likely get less
than you would on eBay, even with the lower prices. This is because dealers
need to buy as low as possible to make a profit. You're the middle man in
that transaction, whereas on eBay, *you* are the dealer. Plus with a dealer
you have to negotiate and deal with a lot of stress.

My advice is to go with eBay.
"...wishing I had enough money to buy enough booze
to stifle the suicidal thoughts in my head over how I'm going to tell my
kid about this was very, very real." - John Dejong after being fired from NCSU
for abusing the internet on company time.