Removing hinges

Old May 21st 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

Default Removing hinges

Well, I got my albums in today so I'm about ready to get started
transfering from the 50 year old book to the new ones. Question though
on removing the old hinges, what's the best and safest (to the stamp)
way to do this? I've also fogotten the best way to remove stamps from
the portion of the envelope they're on. I know to soak them and I seem
to remember that after soaking for awhile they'd just slide off and I'd
place them on a paper towel to dry or is my memory faulty?

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old May 21st 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 5/20/2011 5:41 PM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
found these unused words:

Well, I got my albums in today so I'm about ready to get started
transfering from the 50 year old book to the new ones. Question though
on removing the old hinges, what's the best and safest (to the stamp)
way to do this? I've also fogotten the best way to remove stamps from
the portion of the envelope they're on. I know to soak them and I seem
to remember that after soaking for awhile they'd just slide off and I'd
place them on a paper towel to dry or is my memory faulty?

Chris

There are lots of inks tat will 'run' if immersed in water. Many early
stamps used 'fugitive ink' specifically to prevent cleaning and reuse.

I'd suggest that you look into building a "Stamp Lift" or 'sweatbox'. simple
enough, just a tight fritting lidded plastic box, a spongs and a grilled
[holed] plastic piece to lay atop the sponge.

Sponge is damp, but not 'wet'. Lay stamps paper down on the grill, close the
lid and check in a few hours. When ready they'll slip right off the paper.

This way the stamps are never so wet that the paper is affected.

Many people have their methods for hinge removal. IF they will peel, then
lay the stamp face down, stroke the hinge with the edge of the tong to
'break' the gum of the hinge. When you can get a grip on the hinge, using
the tongs and roll it up and off the stamp. NEVER just pull !

If they won't easily peel, then "Stamp Lift".

I've never run into the fugitive ink problem when soaking stamps. If the
stamps are on colored envelopes, though, you should separate these
stamps from those on white envelopes and might need to rinse the stamp
off as soon as you remove the envelope paper.

I use cardboard (the stiffeners in USPS shippers when ordering stamps
from the cave work well) or blank newsprint to dry my stamps. Once dry I
put them into a book overnight to get rid of the curls.

Bill
Old May 22nd 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 5/20/2011 7:55 PM, Chris wrote:
Well, I got my albums in today so I'm about ready to get started
transfering from the 50 year old book to the new ones. Question though
on removing the old hinges, what's the best and safest (to the stamp)
way to do this?

If stamp and hinge peel off the page cleanly, which they often will for
old hinges, especially if Dennison's or similar, and if any glue is left
on the hinge, which there should be if the hinge was properly lightly
moistened (and on only part of the larger page part of the hinge), and
if the hinge is properly positioned just below the perfs (or top if no
perfs) then just moisten the hinge and stick both into he new album.

I have occasionally reused old Dennison's hinges that were so lightly
moistened on the stamp part that they fall apart from the stamp without
being pulled. I save these for the occasional mint stamp, as modern
hinges are awful for them.

tjr
Old May 23rd 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 5/22/2011 10:24 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Terry found these unused words:

"I save these for the occasional mint stamp, as modern
hinges are awful for them."

At which point you have dropped their value by 2/3rds.

Not if already hinged, or of minimal value.
Perhaps I should have said 'unused' for already hinged or gum otherwise
disturbed.

Old May 23rd 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 05/23/2011 09:45 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Terry Reedy found these unused words:

On 5/22/2011 10:24 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Terry found these unused words:

"I save these for the occasional mint stamp, as modern
hinges are awful for them."

At which point you have dropped their value by 2/3rds.

Not if already hinged, or of minimal value.
Perhaps I should have said 'unused' for already hinged or gum otherwise
disturbed.

Correct, but this is a -=returning=- collector who may not yet know the
fetish of NH material and the 'loss' of 'value' by hinging.

ONE hinged in a page or 'set' of otherwise NH will have the dealer heavily
discounting the whole.

You're so correct, I've got a lot to learn, such as what does 'NH' stand
for, non-hinged?

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old May 23rd 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 5/23/2011 10:45 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Correct, but this is a -=returning=- collector who may not yet know the
fetish of NH material and the 'loss' of 'value' by hinging.

ONE hinged in a page or 'set' of otherwise NH will have the dealer heavily
discounting the whole.

So if I have a NH set, I should use mounts for the whole set and not
just the high values. Thanks, I had not thought of that. I have not
directly bought single NH sets in years, but I have a few of more than
minimal value that were mixed in with other stuff and that I have not
yet added to my albums. That is partly because I do not have the mounts
even for the high values, have have lots of used/hinged stuff to work
with. Perhaps I should most NH material of any value separate in a stock
book. Scattered plastic mounts on predominately hinged pages do not look
all that good.

Terry

Old June 8th 11, 01:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft

The best thing to do with your stamps once they're soaked off the paper is to put them in a drying book (most dealers and Subway etc stock them) to
dry. They'll dry flat and not have the wrinkles you get from paper towel. A large drying book will dry about 1000 stamps a day and you can use it
over and over again (though it will eventually get grubby from the various muck that is on the face of most used stamps). I use Desert Magic drying
books though I'm sure there are others. You could probably make one yourself, too - a sheet of flexible plastic to put the stamp glue side down on
and a couple of sheets of white blotting paper to put on top of the stamps. Put the whole lot under a phone book and voila - a load of dry stamps.

As for the debate on hinged or unhinged mint, first off, they're your stamps so put them in your album however you like - it'll be the person who
sells the collection who will suffer financially. I don't see too much point putting a 2 cent stamp in a 10 cent mount. A $1,000 stamp is a
different matter entirely.

Cheers - John Mycroft

Old June 8th 11, 11:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 06/08/2011 07:19 AM, John Mycroft wrote:
[...]

Thanks John, I'm getting started slowly, lots going on and then theres
the 'honey-do-list'. I'm still curious though as to the best way to
remove the old hinges from the stamps in the other book.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old June 9th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

For my main Italy collection all mint stamps are mounted in Hawid mounts
with black backing, even if mounted already.
I have one quite expensive stamp that has once been mounted, with an attempt
to remove the mount leaving
what was described as gum disturbance, which is fairly major. Frankly it
would have been better to
leave the hinge on, as I will only ever display the front of the stamp:

http://www.italianstamps.co.uk/kingdom/airmail/sa25.jpg

As you will see, the front is unaffected, and I like the fact that this
stamp is not only marginal but
has the sheet serial number on the selvedge.

If the stamp has a hinge that has so badly affected a stamp that its remains
are visible from the front,
then find another specimen! Removing the hinge probably will not improve
matters.

Depending on the nature of the gum used, gentle painting of the hinge with
tepid water may well
loosen it enough to remove it without excessive gum disturbance. I would
not do this with an expensive stamp!

--
Tony Clayton

Old June 9th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 6/8/2011 6:48 PM, Chris wrote:

Thanks John, I'm getting started slowly, lots going on and then theres
the 'honey-do-list'. I'm still curious though as to the best way to
remove the old hinges from the stamps in the other book.

When I do want to remove a hinge -- or remnants thereof, I sometimes use
an eyedropper. Grubby stamps with multiple hinges get soaked. When I do
soak, I gently rub the glue off before removing from the water so the
back will not stick. For just a few stamps. I used a block of wood
(1-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 5or6") as a 'press'.

Removing Hinges caeseraugustus General Discussion 2 September 30th 05 09:02 PM
removing hinges from stamps, watermarks gordon curry General Discussion 5 October 5th 04 04:01 AM
Removing hinges (Newbie question) Paranoid Amoeba Worldwide Stamps 2 July 30th 04 10:08 AM
Hinges Grandpa General Discussion 1 October 20th 03 04:41 PM
Hinges John O'Brien General Discussion 5 September 11th 03 09:51 AM