Italy what is this?

Old January 23rd 11, 06:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod allan

Default Italy what is this?

ITALIE. Porte-timbre d'Emilio NERI - Négociant en TP à Florence. Neuf. Sans
charnière.

Old January 23rd 11, 11:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod allan

Stamp dealer Florence

Old January 24th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin[_2_]

In article ,
"rod allan" wrote:

ITALIE. Porte-timbre d'Emilio NERI - Négociant en TP à Florence. Neuf. Sans
charnière.

Porte-timbres were a fad in the early 1900s. They consisted of a label
with text surrounding a space for a stamp. They were designed to be
stuck on the enveloppe and the stamp applied upon them.

Nothing like an examp;e:
http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijKV3dj7r.jpg

All kind of businesses and associations issued them. They were
particularly popular in France and I remember Yvert listed them in older
editions. They are still considered highly collectable, specially on
cover.

The ad you quoted is for a «porte-timbre» issued by an Italian stamp
dealer. Condition is described as «Mint, no hinge mark»

Rgards

Richard
Old January 24th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

Richard Thouin a écrit :

In article ,
"rod allan" wrote:

ITALIE. Porte-timbre d'Emilio NERI - Négociant en TP à Florence.
Neuf. Sans charnière.

Porte-timbres were a fad in the early 1900s. They consisted of a
label with text surrounding a space for a stamp. They were designed
to be stuck on the enveloppe and the stamp applied upon them.

Nothing like an examp;e:
http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijKV3dj7r.jpg

All kind of businesses and associations issued them. They were
particularly popular in France and I remember Yvert listed them in
older editions. They are still considered highly collectable,
specially on cover.

The ad you quoted is for a «porte-timbre» issued by an Italian stamp
dealer. Condition is described as «Mint, no hinge mark»

Regards

Richard

Bonjour Richard,
Hi Rod (and the others chaps ;-)

Richard is perfectly right. Some other examples here :
http://www.j257.fr/porte-timbres.htm

There are also what we in France call "Timbres-Monnaie".
You will find examples here :
http://collectiondemonnaie.net/timbresmonnaie/
You *must* click on the link (near the bottom of the page) labelled :

" En voici une vision d'ensemble ! (cardiaque s'abstenir...) "

to see and incredible number of these "coins" which advertised
for different companies.

They were used in France between 1920 and 1924 to replace
coins (after the 1st WW, aluminum and copper were so scarce
that it was not possible to manufacture enough low value coins)

Those "stamps used as coins" were 1st used in the US during
the Civil War (they were invented and patented in 1862
by John Gault) :
http://choyt48.home.comcast.net/~cho...ostage_run.htm

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old January 24th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod allan

Thank you Richard,
a totally new concept for moi.
They do look fascinating.
Thanks for addressing my query

Port Timbre Vignette

check this out
http://www.gibbonsstampmonthly.com/J...s/myfrance.pdf

Rod

Old January 24th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod allan

Thank you my friend,
helpful advice as usual.

I cannot believe in 10 years I have not come across these.
Using the text on my example
I spent hours kicking tyres on the web without result.

Cheers

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message

Old January 24th 11, 08:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

rod allan a écrit :
Thank you my friend,
helpful advice as usual.

I cannot believe in 10 years I have not come across these.
Using the text on my example
I spent hours kicking tyres on the web without result.

Cheers

Rod,

I may understand the reasons for that :
1 - You were using French words (may be without knowing they were French
words) for your searches whithin Internet sites writen in English
2 - You had no idea of what a porte-timbre was : I also had (as Richard
did) some knowledge in that matter : this helps a lot directing the
searches
3 - I also spent a non negligible amount of time in my search

So you should not be ashamed if your searches were unsuccessful

--
Kind regards,
Pierre

Old January 24th 11, 08:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

rod allan a écrit :
Thank you Richard,
a totally new concept for moi.
They do look fascinating.
Thanks for addressing my query

Port Timbre Vignette

check this out
http://www.gibbonsstampmonthly.com/J...s/myfrance.pdf

Hi Rod,

Thanks !
Very interesting article and nice pictures :-)

I was going to ask you the meaning of G.S.M. and ... I just discovered
it within your link ;-)

--
Cheers,

Pierre

Old January 24th 11, 08:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod allan

G'day Pierre,

I had a porte timbre vignette

and did not know what the hell it was (wine parcel label I thought)

I copied that French from an online auction catalogue that had one for sale
(10 euros)

Avoir
Bon nuit
and all my best regards

Old January 24th 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 24, 2:59*am, "rod allan" wrote:
G'day Pierre,

I had a porte timbre vignette

and did not know what the hell it was *(wine parcel label I thought)

I copied that French from an online auction catalogue that had one for sale
(10 euros)

Avoir
Bon nuit
and all my best regards

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message

rod allan a crit :
Thank you my friend,
helpful advice as usual.

I cannot believe in 10 years I have not come across these.
Using the text on my example
I spent hours kicking tyres on the web without result.

Cheers

Rod,

I may understand the reasons for that :
1 - You were using French words (may be without knowing they were French
words) for your searches whithin Internet sites writen in English
2 - You had no idea of what a porte-timbre was : I also had (as Richard
did) some knowledge in that matter : this helps a lot directing the
searches
3 - I also spent a non negligible amount of time in my search

So you should not be ashamed if your searches were unsuccessful

--
Kind regards,
Pierre- Hide quoted text -

Interestingly, I just bought a set of Russian stamps (ww1 era)
and when they arrived, they were each stuck to porte timbres
showing the allied flags. These were "mint" but I would have
preferred them used on cover.

As the Russian stamps were very large, only a small border
of the porte timbres could be seen. 8*(

These are the set I refer to.

http://www.collection.net.ru/ebay/8377.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...paper_set4.jpg

Blair

Italy question Tony Vella General Discussion 1 May 17th 07 06:05 PM
Italy Stamp ID Please Treacan General Discussion 2 December 19th 06 05:41 PM
Italy David HICKS General Discussion 5 October 8th 05 10:53 PM
made in Italy FIRST STAMP IN THE WORLD EMBROIDERED ON CLOTH made in Italy Marco Marketplace 0 November 1st 04 01:32 PM
Italy Revenues maybe ID Please. Rodney General Discussion 10 February 29th 04 10:40 PM