Just wondering

Old December 21st 04, 05:28 PM
Larry Louks

Default Just wondering

Hi Friends,

I was just now looking at some Google posts regarding the traits and
qualities of gold. I see where one party makes the statement:

"Gold has the following traits:
- It does not rust
- It does not tarnish
- It does not degrade
- It is easily shaped
- It is easily ductile (shaped into wire)
- It is highly conductive
- It is an attractive metal for most people"

Admittedly, I have not had the opportunity to see, handle, and examine many
gold coins. But I have seen at least two that had what "looked like" small
spots of rust on them. That is, the color was darker and had it been on a
piece of some other kind of metal, it would have easily been viewed at being
rust. If gold does not rust nor tarnish, what would account for this kind of
"discoloration" that I saw? Thanks!

Larry
'those golden years are looking better all the time!'

Old December 21st 04, 05:33 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:28:39 -0600, "Larry Louks" is
alleged to have written:

[...]

Remember, gold coins aren't normally pure gold. US gold is 90% gold with most of
the rest copper. The rust you see is the result of the copper and other
materials put in to make the coin harder.

Bruce

Old December 21st 04, 06:09 PM
James Higby

Exactly right, Bruce, and I'd like to add that it is especially true if the
alloy material is more heavily concentrated in one area due to a poor mixing
job. Larry, I've seen this, too, usually as a sort of reddish-brown gunk
that looks as if it is right on the surface, but usually it is several atoms
thick by the time you can see it.

James
'they need to stir the melting pot better'

Old December 21st 04, 10:28 PM
rhodo chrosite

What appears as rust may be the result of an attempt to solder the coin, or
accidental or deliberate use of mercury or mercury compounds.

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
[...]

Songbooks & sheet music - wondering what the value is Matalog Books 2 October 29th 04 08:19 AM
Wondering.... winnard 8 Track Tapes 5 October 5th 04 12:25 PM
Ancient Nero coin...wondering. DRACO Coins 1 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Speaking of fakes, this one has me wondering? Earl Bollinger Coins 6 June 18th 04 03:55 PM
Wondering About The Mint... Larry Louks Coins 2 November 28th 03 02:58 PM