OT-response to letter about offensive t-shirt

Old July 7th 03, 03:00 AM
phil small p

(phil small p) wrote in message om...
A very good friend of mine,yadda,yadda,yadda.....

The t-shirt said,"I'm not disabled,just lazy."

This phrase does not sem to be overly offensive to the average
person,but if you are or ever have been involved with a person,adult
or child,who was affected with a learning disability,you would
understand that society does not tolerate certain disabilities very
well.Especially autism,or other disabilities that are only now being
understood.
If you don't have autism in your life,you won't automatically
understand it.The problem is that this shirt and its phrase promotes
ignorance.People who aren't touched by a disability in their life,like
having a loved one with a disability,will laugh at the phrase on the
shirt at the expense of the disabled,adding to the ignorance and pain.
It's easy to understand the point about making jokes and laughing at
the irony amongst those who understand the nature of the
disabilities,but without understanding where its coming from it hurts
the disabled and promotes the ignorance.
But it wasn't only the contents of the t-shirt that was offensive,it
was the attitude toward the request.There was no need to become
belligerent and offensive.
I realize that most people don't or won't understand this,but if you
have ever had the unfotunate opportunity to be the object of ridicule
or discrimination because of a disability,you will.
Old July 7th 03, 03:26 AM
Eric Tillery

On 6 Jul 2003 19:00:44 -0700, (phil small p) wrote:

[...]

Once you read my follow ups, you will see I know this scenario all to well.
If you aren't missing a limb, there is nothing wrong with you, so they say.
Especially the slezy insurance companies who make it their business to
deny claims on the flimsiest reasons.
--
Morgan Dollars for Sale:

http://www.k6az.com/inventory/morgan_sales.htm

A Close look at Accugrade:

http://www.k6az.com/acg.htm

My Morgan Collections:

http://www.k6az.com/collection/morgan_collection.htm

http://www.k6az.com/toned_collection/toned_morgans.htm
Old July 7th 03, 03:51 AM
Michael R

"Eric Tillery" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:18:10 GMT, "Michael R" wrote:

I think the content of the shirt was further down:

" I'm not
handicapped I'm just lazy"

I don't think that is particularly offensive or funny?

Check out some of the disability forums sometime, and you will see why

some
of us find it highly offensive.

Oh I'm sure I could be offended, I just didn't find this, that offensive.

Michael R

Old July 7th 03, 03:56 AM
Eric Tillery

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:51:19 GMT, "Michael R" wrote:

"Eric Tillery" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:18:10 GMT, "Michael R" wrote:

I think the content of the shirt was further down:

" I'm not
handicapped I'm just lazy"

I don't think that is particularly offensive or funny?

Check out some of the disability forums sometime, and you will see why

some
of us find it highly offensive.

Oh I'm sure I could be offended, I just didn't find this, that offensive.

Perhaps you would have a different outlook on it if you or someone close to you
was afflicted by a disability that did not involve being in a wheelchair.

Anyhow, I don't like to get into long OT threads, but this one hit too close to home.

Old July 7th 03, 04:26 AM
Nick Knight

In He5Oa.56193$fG.39873@sccrnsc01, on 07/07/2003
at 02:51 AM, "Michael R" said:

Check out some of the disability forums sometime, and you will see why
some of us find it highly offensive.

Oh I'm sure I could be offended, I just didn't find this, that offensive.

And wouldn't it be the disability forum where this thread MIGHT be
appropriate? It certainly isn't here. I know, I know, some of the
participants count on RCC for all of their social contact. Aren't we lucky?
(rhetorical).

I suppose I'll killfile yet-another thread. Done.

Nick