The real danger of self-adhesives. Was: A dealer complains about self-adhesive stamps

Old July 10th 04, 09:12 PM
Victor Manta

Default The real danger of self-adhesives. Was: A dealer complains about self-adhesive stamps

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
om...
snip

Frank implies but does not state specifically that the silicone-coated
backing paper from self-adhesive stamps cannot be recycled. And it
cannot be recycled, or so I was told by a recycling company rep.So, on
top of the damage to stamp collecting, self-adhesive stamps are a
colossal environmental stupidity.

Bob Ingraham

I have noticed that this theme recurrently appears on Bob's postings, that's
why I have looked a bit through the Web. This is what I have found in a few
minutes:

"The US Post Office won an environmental award for their self adhesive post
stamps. Most self stick items, like envelope labels interfere with the
recycling process. However, the self stick stamps are made from a different
glue base which can be easily recyclable along with the envelope."
Source: http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pwde...ing/trivia.htm

I just wonder how could the US Post Office win such an award for its self
adhesive postal stamps if a byproduct of them represents, after Bob, such a
danger for our precious environment.

For those interested, interesting scientific information on the
environmentalists' litany and on its colossal stupidities (if I may use the
same terminology as above...) can be found at:
http://www.lomborg.com/books.htm

Victor Manta
SNA Physicist in Charge

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old July 10th 04, 10:15 PM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:12:11 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

This may be only if the paper is tossed into a land fill or garbage
dump. And, that said, in CONSIDERABLE QUANTITIES. There are many
places, like downtown Albany, N.Y. - where there's recycled material
being burned in an incinerator to power some of the city / state
buildings there - as I understand it.

I wonder how much residue is left over when the S/A "stuff" is burned?

Does this contribute to acid rain, like we see in the "North Country"
of upstate N.Y.? I dunno... There were / are enough factories now to
do that all by themselves. I don't think that the amount of mailings
- either lick 'em or S/A - would pose a problem.

It does, however, seem a waste to have that extra layer of paper on
the backside to contend with. Makes life easier when carried in the
purse or wallet though.

Back in "the day", (old times for those not in the know), stamps had a
habit of sticking together if humidity and water were nearby. This
caused all types of problems for mailers and collectors alike.

S/A stamps seem to have a limited life with their stick 'ems gunk and
may have built in "planned obsolescence", a term used on certain types
of computer hardware in my line of business.

Has anyone ever heard of environmental problems with lick 'em stick
'em stamps?

Has anyone ever heard of environmental problems with S/A stamps?
Old July 11th 04, 02:39 PM
Dave

I really cannot conceive of S/A stamps posing any dangers
environmentally. Just consider the percentage of stamps of all kinds in the
total waste products. It would have to be insignificant to the smallest
degree. I would say a much higher weight of chicken bones goes into our
trash from one meal than the weight of all the stamps I receive on mail for
years (considering I am a collector, mine don't go into the trash).
It is too bad environmentalism, as it is today, picks and chooses
its facts and philosophies. I would say a rusting junk car presents more
hazard by itself than all the stamps thrwon away in the United States.
To me, S/A stamps appear to generate more waste. S/A and gummed
stamps both could be printed on recycled paper so that point is moot. Most
if not all gums are organically based and would break down probably easier
than the S/A gum is touted to do. The backing paper of S/A stamps is
certainly pure waste, no doubt about it.
Bottom line is, that as stamp collectors, we don't really care about
the environmental concerns are. We care about how the differences of gum
vs. S/A affect our collections. Personally I collect only used now and I
have little worry about my S/A stamps' future as they are safely off backing
paper and free of adhesives. Wether we like it or not, S/A stamps are here
to stay. My wife prefers them. So does the majority of the public. I
suspect postal workers do too. Certainly Avery and the other companies that
print them.
My collecting friends, I am afraid we will not only loose this
battle, but the entire war about S/A stamps. Excpet for those stamps
specifically printed soley for collectors, we shall never see gummed stamps
again.

Dave (my 2c)

Old July 11th 04, 09:12 PM
Bill Sharpe

Perhaps we should all use meters. No environmental waste except for a
tiny amount of ink/toner.

Bill

Old July 11th 04, 10:40 PM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:12:24 -0700, "Bill Sharpe"
wrote:

Perhaps we should all use meters. No environmental waste except for a
tiny amount of ink/toner.

Now that is one OOOOGGGLLEEEEEEE (ugly) thought. :^)
Old July 13th 04, 03:10 AM
Doug Spade

"Dave" wrote in message
news
snip

My collecting friends, I am afraid we will not only loose this
battle, but the entire war about S/A stamps. Excpet for those stamps
specifically printed soley for collectors, we shall never see gummed

stamps
again.

Dave (my 2c)

We only lose the battle/war if we refuse to fight. I have developed a novel
theory (which is the scientific way to say I made it up!) that the
self-adhesive stamps are the *real* reason why so many U.S. citizens are
battling obesity.

Think about it.

People used to expend calories licking stamps and placing them on envelopes,
packages, etc. Is it a coincidence that as the number of self-adhesive
issues increased, individuals' waistlines expanded proportionally?

I think not.

If we promote it properly with a few well-placed news releases containing
proper quotes from famous people, we can create such a public uproar that
people will absolutely *demand* a return to water-activated stamps We can
even create a special diet plan to rival all others. There will be special
"diet" gum for those who wish to lose weight even more quickly.

Why it may become the burning question of the upcoming Presidential debates:
Will you, if elected, support a return to water-activated stamps as part of
the nationwide call to downsize individuals' girth?

Is the war over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (Proper
credit here for Animal House). It wasn't over then.

And it's not over now.

Mike

Old July 14th 04, 09:11 PM
Victor Manta

"Mr. Tracy Barber" wrote in message
snip
Has anyone ever heard of environmental problems with lick 'em stick
'em stamps?

Has anyone ever heard of environmental problems with S/A stamps?

Nobody answered, so that I can suppose that nobody here heard of such
problems. Neither do I.

Looking at these things from a broader perspective "for the large part
variations in global temperatures are beyond our control and are instead at
the mercy of the sun's activity".
http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/642-2.html

Concerning the "war about S/A stamps", IMHO we the stamp collectors have to
accept what the customers of the postal services demand. The stamps weren't
anyway invented for somebody as a hobby. It is better to find S/A then
nothing at all, which would mean the death of the contemporary stamps
collecting. In such a case the domain would then definitively become the one
of some nostalgic dinosaurs.

Victor Manta

Old July 15th 04, 12:17 AM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:11:02 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Mr. Tracy Barber" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Has anyone ever heard of environmental problems with lick 'em stick
'em stamps?

Has anyone ever heard of environmental problems with S/A stamps?

Nobody answered, so that I can suppose that nobody here heard of such
problems. Neither do I.

Well, it seems that Bob may be alone in his thinking - or at least a
part of the minority.

Looking at these things from a broader perspective "for the large part
variations in global temperatures are beyond our control and are instead at
the mercy of the sun's activity".
http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/642-2.html

Agreed that what the experts state that there is a global warming.

Concerning the "war about S/A stamps", IMHO we the stamp collectors have to
accept what the customers of the postal services demand. The stamps weren't
anyway invented for somebody as a hobby. It is better to find S/A then
nothing at all, which would mean the death of the contemporary stamps
collecting. In such a case the domain would then definitively become the one
of some nostalgic dinosaurs.

I am not against S/A's as stamps. I'm more against the sloppy look
and feel of some of them. Photogravure. Yes, it may be cheaper to
create a stamp on a PC, but they sometimes look nasty. We've had this
discussion about USPS and how they don't truly care all that much what
we say... they, of course, have their own agenda. This was part of a
Linns article we discussed a while back.

I, personally, would not stand in a line to protest S/A's or other
issues of that type. Not worth my time and effort. I'll still
collect my pre-1960 stuff which - if not mistaken - is missing S/A
stamps altogether. :^)

And - since I don't collect a lot of gum or stick 'em stuff, mounting
my stamps will be much easier. I guess I've sort of stopped
subsidizing USPS stamp issuing policies - for my collection - that
aren't important to my collecting tastes.

Surely, I'll use US S/A commems on my mail. Maybe someone else will
appreciate them more than I do. And, I'll probably collect S/A's
without stick 'em if they come my way, but there's no sense in chasing
them down MNH (or is that MNS = Mint Never Stuck)) for every variety,
die cut, advertisement and other speculative stuff found therein...

To me, that is...
Old July 15th 04, 08:34 PM
AK47

Why it may become the burning question of the upcoming Presidential debates:
Will you, if elected, support a return to water-activated stamps as part of
the nationwide call to downsize individuals' girth?

Didn't the calories from the jum offset the benefit of the eercise from
licking? :-)

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old July 15th 04, 09:04 PM
Victor Manta

"Mr. Tracy Barber" wrote in message

I am not against S/A's as stamps. I'm more against the sloppy look
and feel of some of them. Photogravure. Yes, it may be cheaper to
create a stamp on a PC, but they sometimes look nasty. We've had this
discussion about USPS and how they don't truly care all that much what
we say... they, of course, have their own agenda. This was part of a
Linns article we discussed a while back.

Tracy,

Some S/A are really ugly, but this is also the case for so many traditional
ones.

On some future Web pages I'll try to demonstrate that for certain stamps the
properly done photogravure can be a very fine printing technique, yielding
excellent results. Please stay tuned! :-)

Victor Manta