Book Pricing

Old August 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
smokey

Default Book Pricing

Is it cheaper to buy online or buy retail

Old August 3rd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Walter Traprock

"smokey" wrote:

Is it cheaper to buy online or buy retail

Can't say, other than to say that online is retail.

I prefer to buy in a retail store. Availability is the problem.
Old August 3rd 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

I also prefer to buy in a store--though it's getting harder and harder.
I like to browse, and I like to see the condition of my potential
purchase for myself. Even an online book that's described as "mint"
still has to pass through the clutches of the Post Awful before it
reaches me...

Old August 3rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:

To me, the two are complementary, not exclusive.

No doubt, but there are fewer and fewer places to browse in person.

Neither of us (meanwhile) answers the original question about which is
cheaper. g

Old August 4th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

wrote in message
ps.com...
I also prefer to buy in a store--though it's getting harder and harder.
I like to browse, and I like to see the condition of my potential
purchase for myself. Even an online book that's described as "mint"
still has to pass through the clutches of the Post Awful before it
reaches me...

It's not the "Post Awful" who damages a book, it's "Clueless
Seller".

Kris

Old August 4th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
DfKNG

It's not the "Post Awful" who damages a book, it's "Clueless
Seller".
"Kris Baker" wrote in

You mean Clueless Seller is the one who throws it up against the wall and
then steps on it at the Post Office?

Old August 4th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

It's not the "Post Awful" who damages a book, it's "Clueless Seller".
You mean Clueless Seller is the one who throws it up against the wall
and then steps on it at the Post Office?

I worked in a postal sorting office once. I know what *I* did to the
parcels I handled. As a result I package things to withstand treatment
equivalent to being thrown off the back of a moving truck and landing
in a puddle filled with broken glass. A seller who doesn't assume the
worst is indeed clueless.

Old August 4th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"DfKNG" wrote in message
.. .
"Kris Baker" wrote in

It's not the "Post Awful" who damages a book, it's "Clueless
Seller".

You mean Clueless Seller is the one who throws it up against
the wall and then steps on it at the Post Office?

Clueless Seller is the one who doesn't protect against that.

The next package to land on top of yours, may be the eBay
seller who's managed to put 70 pounds into a flat-rate
Priority Mail box. Is your book in a sturdy container, or
an effective "padded" mailer?

Kris

Old August 4th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"DfKNG" wrote in message
.. .
As a result I package things to withstand treatment
equivalent to being thrown off the back of a moving truck and landing in a
puddle filled with broken glass.
"Jack Campin - bogus address"

But nothing can prepare a package for the equivalent of being jumped up
and
down on, unless you are shipping your items in a titanium box.

Are you having problems with your newsreader?
The quote is appearing above the attribution, making it look like
"Jack Campin" wrote the sentence beginning with "But nothing..."
and that you top-posted the rest. (?)

Kris
Over 4,000 USPS shipments of books, glass, pottery
Four reported damaged (none were books)

Kris