Now Here's a Collectible Proof!

Old December 13th 04, 08:19 PM
William M. Klimon

Default Now Here's a Collectible Proof!

In the debate over the collectibility of proofs and other advanced
states, this little item will probably become the touchstone for the
pro-proof party:

http://tinyurl.com/43kq9

More info he

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/347/...opy_of_:.shtml
William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

Old December 13th 04, 10:26 PM
Jon Meyers

"William M. Klimon" wrote...
In the debate over the collectibility of proofs and other advanced
states, this little item will probably become the touchstone for the
pro-proof party:

http://tinyurl.com/43kq9

[HAWTHORNE, Nathaniel (1804-1864). Printed page proofs of The Scarlet
Letter

Estimate: 200,000 - 300,00 U.S. Dollars]

Picturing Mike Berro at home: Can I afford a second mortgage, and how can I
talk my wife into it?

Or maybe, if 100 of us kick in $2000 each, we can share ownership. Each
shareholder gets custody for one week every other year.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old December 13th 04, 11:38 PM

Ever get that feeling that if you HAD that
kind of money, you wouldn't have to think twice? UGH. ME WANT. But what
with
Social Security getting attacked, I guess
I'd better hold on to BOTH dollars in my
savings account right now.
--Dave Conford

Old December 14th 04, 01:43 AM
Bud Webster

You have TWO?! Rich *******.

Old December 14th 04, 03:24 AM
Bob

"Bud Webster" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:38:50 -0500, wrote:

I guess
I'd better hold on to BOTH dollars in my
savings account right now.

You have TWO?! Rich *******.

Must be a Republican!

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Old December 14th 04, 01:48 PM
Bob Riedel

We had the page proofs of William Strunk's Elements of Style (the original 1918
pamphlet) earlier this year, with a few pencil corrections. That was exciting.
This is downright boggling. Thanks for the link, William.
Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat
Old December 14th 04, 06:49 PM

To Bob F:
Please give me SOME credit.
--Dave Conford

Old December 19th 04, 11:36 PM
William M. Klimon

Follow up to the Hawthorne proof sale:

It went for $545,000 (including bidder's premium)--well over the high
estimate of $300,000--to The Nineteenth Century Shop in Baltimore, with the
University of Virginia as underbidder:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/lo...rticleid=85527

My brother used to live 6 blocks from The Nineteenth Century Shop in
Southwest Baltimore (SoWeBo), so I stopped in once (having seen their ad in
BIBLIO) and was treated rather snippily. I do, after all, collect 19/c
Catholic convert literature--in fact, I would go so far as to say I have the
best collection of such material in private hands. But no matter--who wants
to pay their prices anyway?

Old December 25th 04, 06:51 AM
Mike Berro

That is indeed a nice proof. My favorite is still Tolkien's marked-up proof
of Fellowship. Saw it a couple decades ago for (IIRC) $100K, only a little
surprised (but pleased) not to see it on Ebay when the movie came out.

---Mike