Gaining Converts

Old April 26th 08, 08:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Gaining Converts

I ran across a blog, Fake Plastic Fish (http://www.fakeplasticfish.com), in
which a woman chronicles her journey to reduce plastic in her life. It made
me realize that other people, actively working to save the planet in
whatever measures, large or small, that they are willing to take, may be
converted to the fountain pen lifestyle if we pitch fps to their recycling
genes.

Here's what she posted about acquiring her new fp:

"And then I went a step further. In addition to releasing the stash of
plastic pens in my drawer, I purchased an old-fashioned refillable fountain
pen so that I never have to throw away another plastic pen again. At least,
not at the office.

Fountain pens are expensive, and this one is new, so I only purchased one.
The next time I have a chance to go antique shopping, I'll see if I can find
a used one to keep at home and maybe one to keep in my backpack.

This particular pen is a Lamy AL-star graphit. It has an aluminum body.
There is some plastic inside: the refillable converter. But it's a one-time
purchase. Instead of buying disposable cartridges, which is what most people
use with fountain pens nowadays, I am able to refill the converter from an
ink bottle and reuse it many times.

This pen feels really good in my hand and writes well. Fountain pen ink
flows smoother than ballpoint ink. It does take a little getting used to.
But I'm enjoying it. And to prevent other hoarders from walking off with my
expensive pen, I'm keeping it in its cardboard box when not in use, and I
stuck my name on it for good measure."

Her entire post:
http://www.fakeplasticfish.com/2007/...workplace.html.

I was going to give her the link for Susan Wirth's pen show calendar, but
since I didn't see any shows for the SF Bay Area (the blogger lives in
Oakland), I didn't see the point.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old April 26th 08, 09:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Bluesea wrote:

Here's what she posted about acquiring her new fp:

"... Fountain pens are expensive, and this one is new, so I only purchased

one.
The next time I have a chance to go antique shopping, I'll see if I can

find
a used one to keep at home and maybe one to keep in my backpack..."

I was going to give her the link for Susan Wirth's pen show calendar, but
since I didn't see any shows for the SF Bay Area (the blogger lives in
Oakland), I didn't see the point.

Maybe she should remain a noble savage, happily using her Al-Star for the
rest of her life. If she's introduced to the world of fountain pen
lunatics, the "reduce" part of reduce-reuse-recycle could go out the window!
(she's already talking about 3...)

Brian

Old April 26th 08, 10:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in
message ...
In ,
Bluesea wrote:

Here's what she posted about acquiring her new fp:

"... Fountain pens are expensive, and this one is new, so I only
purchased

one.
The next time I have a chance to go antique shopping, I'll see if I can

find
a used one to keep at home and maybe one to keep in my backpack..."

I was going to give her the link for Susan Wirth's pen show calendar, but
since I didn't see any shows for the SF Bay Area (the blogger lives in
Oakland), I didn't see the point.

Maybe she should remain a noble savage, happily using her Al-Star for the
rest of her life. If she's introduced to the world of fountain pen
lunatics, the "reduce" part of reduce-reuse-recycle could go out the
window!
(she's already talking about 3...)

LOL! Yes, she did jump from one to three pretty quickly, didn't she?

Old April 30th 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Tiro Verus[_2_]

Bluesea wrote:
I ran across a blog, Fake Plastic Fish (http://www.fakeplasticfish.com), in
which a woman chronicles her journey to reduce plastic in her life.

Or useless consumption in general. I like roller ball pens
but looking at the 100 empty* ones I have made me think "something
should change"

"And then I went a step further. In addition to releasing the stash of
plastic pens in my drawer, I purchased an old-fashioned refillable fountain
pen so that I never have to throw away another plastic pen again. At least,
not at the office.

This particular pen is a Lamy AL-star graphit. It has an aluminum body.

It's lack of durability rather than "plastic" per se that's objectionable.

http://www.fakeplasticfish.com/2007/...workplace.html.

I've been thinking along the same lines. I'm hoping the
first demo of "How to Fill A Pen" I get is earlier than
His Nibs planned Washington D.C. one. I'm goint to make
a pitch to my relatives.

P.S. I also "won" a slide rule on eBay. Haven't figured out
how to use it yet either (I have a little booklet, am working
on it.)

Old April 30th 08, 11:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Tiro Verus[_2_]

Bluesea wrote:
Maybe she should remain a noble savage, happily using her Al-Star for the
rest of her life.

If she's introduced to the world of fountain pen
lunatics, the "reduce" part of reduce-reuse-recycle could go out the
window!

But the new acquisitions are durable goods. (Although I have
what is is essentially a disposable fountain pen, about $7.95
acquire to see if I could write with that kind of nib.)

Old July 12th 08, 11:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
phk[_7_]

In article , "Bluesea" wrote:

I ran across a blog, Fake Plastic Fish (http://www.fakeplasticfish.com), in
which a woman chronicles her journey to reduce plastic in her life. It made
me realize that other people, actively working to save the planet in
whatever measures, large or small, that they are willing to take, may be

[snip]
Her entire post:
http://www.fakeplasticfish.com/2007/...workplace.html
.

I was going to give her the link for Susan Wirth's pen show calendar, but
since I didn't see any shows for the SF Bay Area [snip]

Dear BlueSea,

I have not been to usenet for a long time; you single handedly keep this group
alive. :-)

there seems no pen show SF for few years. strange. (i'm in south bay)
come to think about it, maybe it is a good idea. (last time i spent almost
$400 when it came. LOL)

happy writing,

pam

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years.
Old July 13th 08, 02:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

phk wrote:
there seems no pen show SF for few years. strange. (i'm in south bay)
come to think about it, maybe it is a good idea. (last time i spent almost
$400 when it came. LOL)

Lucky you -- next Saturday is the Pan Pacific Pen Club meeting.

SATURDAY, July 19, 11:00am to 2:00pm

at the

the Pleasanton Tennis and Community Park

5801 Valley Avenue, Pleasanton

SPEAKER:

Syd, AKA Wahlnut will talk about the history of Wahl Pens.

DUES:

Pen club dues are $30 per year. If you haven't already paid them, this would be a good
opportunity. Please make a check payable to Syd Saperstein, club treasurer.

MEETING LOCATIONS:

We are always looking for new venues to hold meetings in- meeting locations should hold 50 or
more people, allow outside catering, and have a stock of tables on hand.

Inexpensive doesn't hurt either.

If you know of any suitable locations to hold PPPC meetings, please feel free to scout them out
and bring your ideas (preferably with contact information) to the meeting!

DIRECTIONS:

From 580: Exit Hopyard Road towards Pleasanton. Drive 2 miles. Turn right onto Valley Avenue.
Turn right onto Paseo Santa Cruz.

From 680: Exit Bernal Avenue. Drive east ¼ mile. Turn left onto Valley Avenue. Drive 1.1 miles
and turn left onto Paseo Santa Cruz.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old July 15th 08, 04:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
phk[_7_]

In article , Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
phk wrote:
there seems no pen show SF for few years. strange. (i'm in south bay)

Lucky you -- next Saturday is the Pan Pacific Pen Club meeting.

thanks. but it's a little too far + i am unavailable that weekend. :-(

regards,