Colonial One Pound Note

Old August 7th 03, 02:33 PM
Darren

Default Colonial One Pound Note

This is one of those "I would like" messages...

I would like... to be the proud owner of a US Colonial One Pound note.
I have a range of other One Pound notes from various surprising
sources - well they were surprising to me.

But having said "I want one" out loud I don't know too much about the
subject, indeed could easily be duped I'm sure. But would anyone care
to share some free knowledge on the subject?

I've seen examples in various odd denominations but only one One Pound
(from North Carolina) were One Pound values particularly rare (I've
seen higher values) or am I just not looking hard enough?

I have a reasonable budget for the "right" note but need to get beyond
the "I would like something" to home in on a specific note for the
right reasons not just because I saw it on ebay. The right reasons for
me would include some interesting historical anecdote with which to
bore my friends...

Any recommending reading?

Thanks
Darren

Old August 7th 03, 04:04 PM
Scottishmoney

Probably the most affordable LSD currency notes from the colonial era of the
USA are the Pennsylvania notes. For some reason though Pennsyvania did not
issue Pound notes per say, but multiple ie 20/- and 50/- notes. I collected
colonial era notes for a number of years, and am glad I did when they were
still relatively affordable. Now it is difficult to find a nice one for
less than £50.

If you are willing to have Spanish Dollar denominated notes look at
Maryland, they are probably the most affordable of all.

Many of the notes available these days were saved in individual states
archives when they were redeemed. Most of them languished there until the
1960's and 1970's when they were liberated and sold off, reducing the prices
of previously fairly pricey notes. These will either be stamp cancelled, or
COC(cut out cancel notes) I have not seen cancelled Maryland notes, I
wonder that they were even redeemed.

HTH

Dave
(Owner of a very rare Texas Pound Note from 1988)

Old August 7th 03, 04:50 PM
Darren

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:04:54 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

Probably the most affordable LSD currency notes from the colonial era of the
USA are the Pennsylvania notes. For some reason though Pennsyvania did not
issue Pound notes per say, but multiple ie 20/- and 50/- notes. I collected
colonial era notes for a number of years, and am glad I did when they were
still relatively affordable. Now it is difficult to find a nice one for
less than £50.

Hmmm... I'm trying really hard not to break my "One Pound Note Only"
rule. Have you collected everything...?!

If you are willing to have Spanish Dollar denominated notes look at
Maryland, they are probably the most affordable of all.

I'd probably go for this if I was looking for a colonial note. Trouble
is it's a colonial pound note - am I being to fussy I ask myself... I
could convince myself that a Pennsylvanian 20/- is a Pound... I mean
I've bent the rule for a 1937 Italian One Lire on the grounds that
lire/pound is the same thing so I have form!

Many of the notes available these days were saved in individual states
archives when they were redeemed. Most of them languished there until the
1960's and 1970's when they were liberated and sold off, reducing the prices
of previously fairly pricey notes. These will either be stamp cancelled, or
COC(cut out cancel notes) I have not seen cancelled Maryland notes, I
wonder that they were even redeemed.

The one I have a vague eye on is asking around 200USD which is a
little rich for my blood - given the condition of this particular note
and my ignorance.

HTH

As ever.

Dave
(Owner of a very rare Texas Pound Note from 1988)

1988?! Tell me more!

Old August 7th 03, 05:57 PM
Scottishmoney

Darren wrote in message
Hmmm... I'm trying really hard not to break my "One Pound Note Only"
rule. Have you collected everything...?!

Gees, the latter part sounds like a comment my lovely wife makes often
enough. BTW I did the One Pound note thing only, I collected all Pound
notes, especially Scottish, Irish, and the far flung outposts of the Empire.
My faves used to be the Falkland notes because of the very old design, which
I think dated from 1914 and was used until 1982. I broke the One Pound rule
with the British Linen £5 from 1968 which was my first ebaY purchase in
1997. Then I got the full blown disease, though I am still limited to £20
notes.

If you are willing to have Spanish Dollar denominated notes look at
Maryland, they are probably the most affordable of all.

I'd probably go for this if I was looking for a colonial note. Trouble
is it's a colonial pound note - am I being to fussy I ask myself... I
could convince myself that a Pennsylvanian 20/- is a Pound... I mean
I've bent the rule for a 1937 Italian One Lire on the grounds that
lire/pound is the same thing so I have form!

New York issued Pound denominated currencies, in 1771 they are fairly pricey
as most New York notes are. My only New York note is a 4/- from early 1776
which has a water pump and fountain on the reverse, a cool design. About
the least expensive New York Pound denomination might be the £10 from 1771
and it collectable grade it would be about $400 now.

The one I have a vague eye on is asking around 200USD which is a
little rich for my blood - given the condition of this particular note
and my ignorance.

Watch buying them in the UK, for some crazy reason they are pricier there
than here, in contravention of the usual rules which state that items are
cheaper in another country because of not as much interest. I almost bought
a set of Massachusetts notes from a rather well known London dealer but
figured I could do better by creating my own piecemeal set which I did.

Dave
(Owner of a very rare Texas Pound Note from 1988)

1988?! Tell me more!

When I attended the Texas Renaissance Festivals back in the early '90s we
kept seeing prices as £1 etc, nobody could offer an explanation and I
thought it was just some quaint affectation to add to the atmosphere of
jolly 'ole. On the way out of the last festival we saw a currency exchange
booth, where you could exchange your dollars for Pounds, I had only a bit
left after a day of imbibery, but managed to eek out a Pound note.

It has Saint George slaying the dragon, and a dragon over a pile of money.
An attractive piece I thought I had a scan of somewhere but cannot locate
the image elsewise I would post a link to.

Your getting bitten bad by the bug.

Dave

Old August 7th 03, 06:04 PM
Darren

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:57:56 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

Darren wrote in message
Hmmm... I'm trying really hard not to break my "One Pound Note Only"
rule. Have you collected everything...?!

Gees, the latter part sounds like a comment my lovely wife makes often
enough. BTW I did the One Pound note thing only, I collected all Pound
notes, especially Scottish, Irish, and the far flung outposts of the Empire.
My faves used to be the Falkland notes because of the very old design, which
I think dated from 1914 and was used until 1982. I broke the One Pound rule
with the British Linen £5 from 1968 which was my first ebaY purchase in
1997. Then I got the full blown disease, though I am still limited to £20
notes.

I have a Falklands One Pound dating from 1982 so one of the last I
guess. I got it for the date having lost a relative down there at this
time. I am really trying hard to stay with One Pound notes, and have
been instructed to ignore signatures and serial numbers... we'll see

Your getting bitten bad by the bug.

Tell me about it. I'm selecting this years holiday to be either Malta
or Cyprus because of the pound notes... might be crossing the line...
but it's fun!

Darren

Dave

Autograph Clearance Auction -- Hollywood, Colonial, Civil War, WWII, Etc. Chris Autographs 0 July 6th 04 11:29 PM
FA: 2-Days, WWI French Colonial Troops, Moroccan Zouaves, Fez Cap fishnet531 General 0 January 17th 04 01:27 AM
A Pound of Paper... James Calhoun Books 7 January 12th 04 03:36 PM
$$$ note question so ne Coins 4 August 12th 03 11:36 AM
Allied Irish Banks One Pound Jan 1982 Scottishmoney Paper Money 1 July 23rd 03 11:16 AM