substitute for rock ola bubbler battery ??

Old June 4th 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dig

Default substitute for rock ola bubbler battery ??

Battery Pack for all S-4, S-5A and S-6 Control Computers. Consists of three
1/3AA Nicad batteries in series at 3.6VDC
any one know were I can get a batteryfor my s-6-1 black box can I substitute
a ni cad cell phone battery and mount off the board so there is no chance of
leakage ?
thanks, jeff

Old June 5th 08, 05:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jun 5, 8:21 am, "Dig" wrote:
Battery Pack for all S-4, S-5A and S-6 Control Computers. Consists of three
1/3AA Nicad batteries in series at 3.6VDC
any one know were I can get a batteryfor my s-6-1 black box can I substitute
a ni cad cell phone battery and mount off the board so there is no chance of
leakage ?
thanks, jeff

Use a lithium 1/2 AA cell, locate and remove the "charging" resistor
(if it recharges the cell), so the machine doesn't try to recharge the
cell. These things seem to be good for 20 years in many cases in my
experience

Dont put a nicad anywhere near a circuit board, these things leak and
are destructive when they do.
Old June 8th 08, 05:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Dig wrote:
Battery Pack for all S-4, S-5A and S-6 Control Computers. Consists of three
1/3AA Nicad batteries in series at 3.6VDC
any one know were I can get a batteryfor my s-6-1 black box can I substitute
a ni cad cell phone battery and mount off the board so there is no chance of
leakage ?
thanks, jeff

Any 3.6VDC ni-cad battery pack will work here. You can't use a lower or
higher voltage pack without running a greater risk of battery failure.

If you want to use a non-rechargable battery you MUST add an isolation
diode in series with the new battery so the battery won't be charged by
the jukebox - causing it to leak/explode...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old June 8th 08, 02:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jun 8, 2:57 pm, John Robertson wrote:
Dig wrote:
Battery Pack for all S-4, S-5A and S-6 Control Computers. Consists of three
1/3AA Nicad batteries in series at 3.6VDC
any one know were I can get a batteryfor my s-6-1 black box can I substitute
a ni cad cell phone battery and mount off the board so there is no chance of
leakage ?
thanks, jeff

Any 3.6VDC ni-cad battery pack will work here. You can't use a lower or
higher voltage pack without running a greater risk of battery failure.

If you want to use a non-rechargable battery you MUST add an isolation
diode in series with the new battery so the battery won't be charged by
the jukebox - causing it to leak/explode...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

WARNING.

Actually, a few hours after reading your post, I was desoldering a
slightly corroded LITHIUM Coin Cell from a ROWE R-89 Central Control
Computer. (about 1985 vintage). I was holding the board with the
battery facing downwards, pulling gently on it with my fingers while
unsoldering the leads at the back. One of them was not wanting to come
out, and after heating it for a few seconds there was a loud "bang"
from under the battery, which I would compare to the sound of firing a
childs toy cap gun. I felt it in my fingers holding the battery too,
but there wasnt injury, just felt like a rush of air through them.

There was no visible damage or burn marks on the battery or board, but
it seems the residue "exploded" with soldering heat ? It might be a
good idea for anyone working on these units in future to cut these
cells from the board in future, and wash the residue off the board
before applying a soldering iron to any pads that even have a small
amount of corrosion. I would hate to think what it would be like if
the entire battery were to explode, if a tiny bit of residue could do
this.

It also might be a good idea for anyone who still has these batteries
in their 1980's ROWE cd jukes, and earlier models of ROWE CD jukes to
consider replacing these soldered in lithium coin-cells too, as they
are getting to the end of their lives.

Note, I have never had any incidents like this when soldering corroded
areas of NICAD batteries.