Definition of a typeset?

Old April 26th 05, 07:57 PM
Colin G.

Default Definition of a typeset?

I have recently been sorting my world coins (not my main area of
collecting), and have decided it was time to thin the collection, I am
thinking of doing a circulating coin typeset per country (rather than dates
which is what I was collecting). My reasoning is that my previous task was
endless as well as impossible as this one may also be, but at least it
should be easier to sort the coins for viewing!!

Anyway my question is this, what constitutes a typeset? how far do you go?
where do you stop?

All input appreciated

Many Thanks
Colin G.

Old April 26th 05, 08:04 PM
Bob Flaminio

Colin G. wrote:
Anyway my question is this, what constitutes a typeset? how far do
you go? where do you stop?

That all depends on you. "Typeness" can be a very elusive quantity to
measure. I think minimally you would want one coin from each country.
The next level up would be one coin of each denomination from each
country. From there you can get into different designs, commemoratives,
collector's coins, and the rest of the coin universe.

For my, the basic definition of a "type" is that a layperson can tell
the difference without prompting. If I show two coins to my wife, for
example, and the first thing she asks is "what's the difference", then
they are the same type.

--
Bob

Old April 26th 05, 08:21 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Colin G." wrote in message
. uk...
I have recently been sorting my world coins (not my main area of
collecting), and have decided it was time to thin the collection, I am
thinking of doing a circulating coin typeset per country (rather than dates
which is what I was collecting). My reasoning is that my previous task was
endless as well as impossible as this one may also be, but at least it
should be easier to sort the coins for viewing!!

Anyway my question is this, what constitutes a typeset? how far do you go?
where do you stop?

All input appreciated

Many Thanks
Colin G.

As a general rule, I don't do type sets. However, a
set I like and I can call it a type set is one large Silver coin
from as many countries as interest me. Most folks call this collecting
Silver Crowns.

You have to be the one to define type, either as broad or as restrictive as you
chose.

Dale

Old April 26th 05, 08:24 PM
James Higby

"Colin G." wrote in message
. uk...
I have recently been sorting my world coins (not my main area of
collecting), and have decided it was time to thin the collection, I am
thinking of doing a circulating coin typeset per country (rather than
dates
which is what I was collecting). My reasoning is that my previous task was
endless as well as impossible as this one may also be, but at least it
should be easier to sort the coins for viewing!!

Anyway my question is this, what constitutes a typeset? how far do you go?
where do you stop?

All input appreciated

Many Thanks
Colin G.

Contrary to widespread belief, I am not a Luddite. But I grew up reading
and memorizing first the Yeoman Catalog of Modern World Coins 1850-1964,
then the Craig Coins of the World 1750-1850. I keep my collection according
to the numbering scheme in those two keyed-together works. One could also
add Yeoman's Current Coins of the World, last published in 1986. All these
titles are readily available from used book dealers for cheap.

The things I like about these catalogs is their layout and relative
simplicity. There are no "decimal" catalog numbers, such as KM-523.4 and
occasionally minor variations will be grouped under one number, especially
with the earlier material. Of course, if you collect after the mid-1980s,
or before 1750, these won't work for you.

I could expound more, but let's see first if any of this is meaningful to
you.

James

Old April 26th 05, 10:36 PM
Colin G.

James,
That sounds very relevant. I know this subject is a minefield in theory,
because take the pound coin, you could theoretically collect reverse designs
which repeat, but also obverse "bust" designs. Or perhaps you just include 1
pound coin and that is it, problem solved. Being English I date collect
English coins, but feel it is a good example.

I would just like to get opinions from people on what they classify as a
type to see if there is a thought path that seems to operate similar to mine
(a rare chance but you never know!!!).

Thanks for the response, I will have to look up "Yeomans"

Colin G.

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

. uk...

Old April 26th 05, 11:43 PM
gogu

Ο "Dale Hallmark" dalehall.cableone.net έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"Colin G." wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

That's exactly how I collect silver coins: I have decided to collect silver
coins in the size of a crown from each country of the world. Area of
interest 18th, 19th and 20th (till 1950) centuries.
I suppose you can call it a type coin...
And yes, I do call it "Crown size silver world coin collection" :-)

--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Old April 27th 05, 12:38 AM
Dale Hallmark

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

It is not my main collecting interest and it is not even my minor interest
:-)
but it has gotten more interesting as it gets a little larger. I have less
than 30 coins in that group
so it could use a lot more work!

I only mentioned it because it was the only thing close to a type set that I
collect.
Wait a min!! I forgot one (old age creeping up)! I am attempting to put
together
at least one coin representing the Archbishops of Austria :-) 1495-1806 and
there are 19 of them.
I didn't think of that one because I don't get to add a coin often. Finding
one, and it being an attractive enough
coin and one that I can afford is a challenge

Dale

Old April 27th 05, 01:12 AM
gogu

Ο "Dale Hallmark" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

I have more than 70 but not all of them top grade...
And indeed, such a collection can be quite laaaaarge and expensive...

I only mentioned it because it was the only thing close to a type set that
I collect.

And you were correct IMHO.
Well, there are other collections that could be under the "type collection"
label, but crowns (or around ounce) silver coins is the more representative
I believe.
I am collecting also silver coins of the world, bearing the (base)
denomination "1" on them, so I think this collection could also stand as a
type collection but I am not sure...

Wait a min!! I forgot one (old age creeping up)! I am attempting to put
together
at least one coin representing the Archbishops of Austria :-) 1495-1806
and there are 19 of them.

Yeah, I remember you've mentioned it once here, but I thought you were more
advanced !
How many coins of this collection do you have by now ?
Are they on your site ?

I didn't think of that one because I don't get to add a coin often.
Finding one, and it being an attractive enough
coin and one that I can afford is a challenge

You've just mentioned the 3 main reasons why my crown collection is not top
grade Dale ;-)

Old April 27th 05, 01:24 AM
Dale Hallmark

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Dale Hallmark" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Wait a min!! I forgot one (old age creeping up)! I am attempting to put
together
at least one coin representing the Archbishops of Austria :-) 1495-1806
and there are 19 of them.

Yeah, I remember you've mentioned it once here, but I thought you were
more advanced !
How many coins of this collection do you have by now ?
Are they on your site ?

Unfortunately I have only three and missed the last three I bid on :-(
Yes they are on my site but they are not spectacular coins.
http://www.austriancoins.com/coins-pre1800.html
I really like them however!

Haven't made much progress on that set but I have done a buttload of
research :-)

I didn't think of that one because I don't get to add a coin often.
Finding one, and it being an attractive enough
coin and one that I can afford is a challenge

You've just mentioned the 3 main reasons why my crown collection is not
top grade Dale ;-)

I have always ran into those limits :-)

Dale

Old April 27th 05, 08:40 PM
gogu

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Dale Hallmark" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Wait a min!! I forgot one (old age creeping up)! I am attempting to
put together
at least one coin representing the Archbishops of Austria :-) 1495-1806
and there are 19 of them.

Yeah, I remember you've mentioned it once here, but I thought you were
more advanced !
How many coins of this collection do you have by now ?
Are they on your site ?

Unfortunately I have only three and missed the last three I bid on :-(

Yeah, I know the feeling to lose a coin you want very much...
It happens to everyone.

Yes they are on my site but they are not spectacular coins.
http://www.austriancoins.com/coins-pre1800.html
I really like them however!

Not bad at all I would say !
Just one question: why don't you scan them at a greater resolution so
they'll show bigger ?...

Haven't made much progress on that set but I have done a buttload of
research :-)

You know what they say: first buy the book and do your homework.
It seems that you have done the first part so next is to find the coins you
are looking for.
Well, that's the difficult part always ;-)

You've just mentioned the 3 main reasons why my crown collection is not
top grade Dale ;-)

I have always ran into those limits :-)

And not only you Dale...

--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Dale

Difference between dealer and collector? Definition please? dahoov2 Autographs 14 July 29th 04 11:58 AM
definition of "tight" Peridote Books 3 February 14th 04 06:48 AM
Time to change the definition of "coin rotation" Serenus Zeitblom Coins 93 January 3rd 04 09:26 PM
Electrum A.Gent Coins 81 October 16th 03 08:36 PM
The first coin - addenda Reid Goldsborough Coins 66 July 30th 03 05:30 PM