Don't change the subject line, please!

Old July 31st 03, 08:48 AM
Toke Nørby

Default Don't change the subject line, please!

When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

Thanks, friends!

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old July 31st 03, 12:45 PM
Toke Nørby

"David F." wrote:

Just out of interest, what are you using as a News Reader?

Forte Agent - and you use Outlook Express which I don't like :-)
Maybe it's only the Agent users who have the problem - I don't know.

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old July 31st 03, 04:48 PM
Lars Wiberg

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:45:07 +0200, Toke Nørby
wrote:

Just out of interest, what are you using as a News Reader?

Forte Agent - and you use Outlook Express which I don't like :-)
Maybe it's only the Agent users who have the problem - I don't know.

No, Toke - you are not alone ) Many newsreaders create the threads
based on the subject lines, others are a little more sophisticated
(comparing message ID's and whatnot).

The world is not perfect, but if we stick to the original subject line
and only changing it when the discussion is moving outside the
original subject scope, a happy bunch of campers we will be )

BTW Toke: I am still breathing as you can see. Things have been busy
here, but there is still being work done on the upcoming website for
our Danish philatelic group.

--
Lars Wiberg alias Slartibartfast /\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
http://southend.dk/ \/ No HTML or RTF in mail
Old July 31st 03, 05:10 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:48:35 +0200, Toke Nørby
found these unused words floating about:

When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

Thanks, friends!

Toke;

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the discussion
strays off the original topic.

The purpose specifically to be what you are seeing - essentially a new
post thread.

As the group has discussed many times - altering for OT or SNA is
appreciated by most. Some only want the 'pure' discussion andcan
ignore the OT/SNA'd posts. G

If you change your sorting to "Subject" instead of "Thread" they'll be
regrouped - though not necessarily in posted or reply order.

HTH
Old July 31st 03, 05:15 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: Toke Nørby
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:45:07 +0200
Subject: Don't change the subject line, please!

"David F." wrote:

Just out of interest, what are you using as a News Reader?

Forte Agent - and you use Outlook Express which I don't like :-)

Out look express uses the subject line to organize posting.

Maybe it's only the Agent users who have the problem - I don't know.

I don't really see what the problem is, perhaps because I have the same
problem and don't perceive it as a problem. Sometimes it is necessary to
change the subject line. In fact, many members have asked that people use OT
in the subject lines as a heads-up that the topic is shifting away from the
original topic. Often, I lose interest in divergent topics, and I can
identify the posts because of the different subject lines. In addition to
which, getting everyone to agree to a particular style of newsgroup posting
would be considerably more difficult than finding weapons of mass
destruction in Iraq.

Newsgroups are at best the worst possible way to communicate, but what else
do we have? :^)

Bob

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/

Old July 31st 03, 06:19 PM
Victor Manta

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

Thanks, friends!

--
Mvh Toke

There are several reasons why a subject line has to be changed, and not only
for OT or SNA, what other participants have already mentioned. For example a
discussion on a topic can slide into a totally different topic. Any of these
topics can be or not interesting for some, so that all participants have a
choice only if the subject line is right.

I could compare this with the catalogue prices, that should be also right,
as this group said a week ago :-)

By using OE and the newsreader from Google, I have got familiarized with
both styles, and I have found that each has its +++ and its ---.

Victor Manta
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
1900 Links Online: http://pwmo.org/weblinks/links.asp
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old August 1st 03, 09:12 AM
TC

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:10:40 -0700, J. A. Mc.
wrote:

If you change your sorting to "Subject" instead of "Thread" they'll be
regrouped - though not necessarily in posted or reply order.

HTH

I use Forté Agent and that is exactly what I do (sort by subject).
It works fine for me.

Blair

Old August 1st 03, 08:08 PM
Toke Nørby

J. A. Mc. wrote:

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the discussion
strays off the original topic.

Oh, yes of course - but just adding one or two words which don't
exactly shows what the new thread is about is annoying (to me :-)

Well, the problem is not that big. I delete many postings and only
read a few I find of interest to me.

As the group has discussed many times - altering for OT or SNA is
appreciated by most. Some only want the 'pure' discussion andcan
ignore the OT/SNA'd posts. G

The "homour" for this group is for me hard to understand (read: it's
not funny to me and in my opinion pure waste of time to create/read it
- sorry Victor). Or am I just a cold fart in this hot summer (Tha't
actually a translation of a Danish phrase!)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback!

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old August 1st 03, 09:34 PM
Victor Manta

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
J. A. Mc. wrote:

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the discussion
strays off the original topic.

Oh, yes of course - but just adding one or two words which don't
exactly shows what the new thread is about is annoying (to me :-)

So you propose to renounce them, so that you (or anyone else) has to:

1. Open the posting
2. Read it
3. Eventually pay for that connection time
4. Observe that the posting it is not stamp related, or has another subject
5. Close it, usually disappointed

I wonder what is better... IMO, J. A. Mc. & Netiquette are right.

Well, the problem is not that big. I delete many postings and only
read a few I find of interest to me.

Why deleting them? I'm asking, because I just read what interests me,
without deleting anything. Anyway, after a time all postings are removed.

As the group has discussed many times - altering for OT or SNA is
appreciated by most. Some only want the 'pure' discussion andcan
ignore the OT/SNA'd posts. G

The "homour" for this group is for me hard to understand (read: it's
not funny to me and in my opinion pure waste of time to create/read it
- sorry). Or am I just a cold fart in this hot summer (Tha't actually
a translation of a Danish phrase!)

Interesting diversion from the main subject (after couldn't find an
acceptance of the demand...), but I'll not change the subject line, because
this was explicitly requested.

What makes the humanity so powerful is that people are so different. What in
TN's opinion is a waste of time is for some others maybe funny. Extending
the used languages, an interesting term in German could be Spielverderber
(have found "killjoy" as translation, but I'm not sure of it).

BTW, when something is hard to understand, why nonetheless give an opinion
on it? Just to mention that an explanation for some of humor is given in the
ng's FAQ and on a website.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback!

--
Mvh Toke

You are welcome (answering in my own name, of course).

Victor Manta

Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old August 1st 03, 11:49 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:34:34 +0200, "Victor Manta"
found these unused words floating about:

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
.. .
J. A. Mc. wrote:

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the discussion
strays off the original topic.

Oh, yes of course - but just adding one or two words which don't
exactly shows what the new thread is about is annoying (to me :-)

So you propose to renounce them, so that you (or anyone else) has to:

1. Open the posting
2. Read it
3. Eventually pay for that connection time
4. Observe that the posting it is not stamp related, or has another subject
5. Close it, usually disappointed

I wonder what is better... IMO, J. A. Mc. & Netiquette are right.

Well, the problem is not that big. I delete many postings and only
read a few I find of interest to me.

Why deleting them? I'm asking, because I just read what interests me,
without deleting anything. Anyway, after a time all postings are removed.

FWIW ... Many newsreaders have (or can add) an icon to their
navigation bar that will mark posts 'read'. I simple retrieve the
posts that seem interesting and then after reading, replying ... hit
hat icon and the whole group is gone on the next load of the
program/window