Shows vs E-bay

Old November 19th 04, 07:30 PM
Lynne Stewart

I'm with you on that one. I have struggled over the years to get an off-eBay
site to work, one that fails more then it succeeds, but I'd never stop it
cause it's a door to getting a client base going. I have the BEST customers
that come back again and again and they make it work for me more then
anything else. Right now, the Auctionne is not doing well over all and yet
my off-auctionne sales are doing great. So, one doesn't reflect the other. I
had a client call me this AM to pay for a purchase, I was kinda cranky
(well, I don' to think I was ACTING cranky, just commented I was feeling off
and he stayed on the phone and we had a delightful chat about Trek, Farscape
Xena, Votager DVD's....by the time we said goodbye my mood was lifted and
the day was turned around. You can't get that anywhere but one on one and I
think it matters more then the final dollar value of a sale (to some degree,
I mean, I doooo have bills to pay and cards to buy!) It relies less on the
whims of fate then quick fix Ebay auctionnes.
Lynne

"Jon Doyle" wrote in message
It's not that I don't feel for you guys. . . and it isn't like one dealer
can change everything, but it's a big picture thing at this point -- in my
opinion.

Since many dealers do sell their best stuff on eBay (I like buying in
person -- you know that, Dave :-) ) it has become the place to go to buy
the high end stuff. . . and when someone is looking for high end stuff on
eBay they often come across the other stuff they are looking for. The only
way to change what is happening online is to change it on a dealer by
dealer level. . . you aren't going to beat eBay -- it's just not going to
happen, so dealers need to focus on customers, and give people a reason to
stop at their tables -- ie. Dave -- he knows some of the things that I
like and I know that he has interesting stuff so his table has become one
that I plan on spending money at. At the last show I attended Dave was
the only person at the entire show to sell me loose cards -- it's not
because I ran out of money, or was being picky about what I bought -- it's
because he was the only one that had what I was looking for.

Unfortunately I am forced to do shopping on eBay 9 months out of the year
as there are no dealers around here. Luckily there are a handful of
decent shows during the summer . . . actually it's probably good a dealer
like Dave isn't set up around here as I'm sure I'd end up spending many
times what I currently spend on cards.

In that same vein. . . it surprises me how few dealers direct market to
people. . . if someone were to send me lists of things I was interested in
I'm sure I'd be buying a lot more than I have been -- plus they wouldn't
be paying eBay fees, or table fees, and they'd be building a relationship
with a customer. . . the only thing I ever get from dealers are press
releases on new products.

Jon

Old November 19th 04, 07:34 PM
Lynne Stewart

When I left my local dealer for the Internet world, I felt terribly guilty.
I wanted to support a local person and I was grateful for all he did for me,
but he relied on Diamond which could be weeks behind and I was too impatient
to get my stuff. When my Internet friends were ready to trade and I was
still waiting...well, it was hard.
I think a local business/show could work but would require a lot of
attention, alot of one on one and alot of staying aware of what's out there
both product-wise and competitionwise. No more bubble living. But, if you
can connect with the clients, I think they'd stay.
I live in a black hole, really rural, my neighbors are cows (the real kind!)
so I don't thin I'm in a position to DO what I say, just blabber about it.

Lynne

Subject: Shows vs E-bay
From: Jon Doyle
Date: 11/18/04 7:14 PM Eastern Standard Time
But saying that aren't you just admitting that the stuff you have at
shows isn't as desireable as what you've sold on eBay? Perhaps that's
why you're not making as many sales at shows.

I guess you really have to determine what is desireable??? I do not
carry

autos
or other higher dollar inserts very often at shows mainly because they
sell
almost immediately on ebay.

But what I'm saying is that is it fair for you to say "The internet
has taken a very big bite out of "Real World" retail..." when you admit
that you sell your best cards on eBay? Perhaps the bite out of 'real
world' retail (for you) would not be so big if you had your best cards
at shows.

Just a thought -- I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just
pointing out that not everyone is comparing apples to apples here.

Jon

Hi Jon, When I say "The internet
has taken a very big bite out of "Real World" retail..." I'm talking in
general
terms. Many comic/card shops have closed their doors in my area over the
last
5-10 years and there is a decline in card/comic show attendence. As far as
my
own retail, I have never had a retail storefront and have only sold cards
via
the internet and at shows.

Mike
www.mikzcardz.com

Old November 20th 04, 12:58 AM
Dpolis

Why not accept credit cards? It's alot easier now then it was when I got my
merchant account and I don't regret it a bit. And I imagine it'd be easier
now since most people have cel phones so calling into the merchant's host to
get a credit card authorization is alot easier then before when phones at
shows were near impossible. If you take paypal, you're already having fees
removed, so it's pretty much the same as a CC account.
Lynne

Lynne,

I saw dealers using cell phones this year at SDCC, and I didn't feel that good
about it, I mean is it secure? I always hear how any credit card use should
not be on cell phones, but on land phones?

David
Old November 20th 04, 01:46 AM
Lynne Stewart

Hmmm...I dunno, honestly. I guess if you mean they could be tapped into, I
suppose so, but IF that happens, I can't imagine a credit card company in
the world that wouldn't work with you as they would any stolen CC. Just
don't use a debit card, I guess since that could have immediate impact.
Lynne

Old November 20th 04, 06:15 AM
B and B

Lynne,
As to credit cards over cell phones:
a) it's frequently hard to establish a solid
cell phone connection inside show venues. Last weekend alone, at both
the So.Attleboro MA show, and the Hampton Falls, NH Show..it was
impossible.
One because it's inside what used to be a civil defense shelter and we
all know we need to go outside to use our cell phones...the other
because there's hardly any cell phone towers around. And that's on
brand new fancy cell phones with Verizon service. (and on Sprint).

b) Even if that wasn't an issue..some collectors will understandably be
leery of handing a stranger their credit card. A stranger (the
'dealer') that they've never met before, who has set up at an
out-of-town show, and who may not be seen again. Not quite a problem at
regular local shows where 'everyone' knows 'everyone'...but certainly at
others.
That is a major advantage of PayPal, no actual credit card info. changes
hands.
Or of ATM machines l...

After all, at most shows, 'anyone' can call themselves a dealer and set
up...same way as they can and do on eBay.

Byrna

Old November 20th 04, 02:38 PM
Lynne Stewart

I guess I never considered the no signal issue, and it would be an issue
The other, trusting a dealer with your CC info never bothered me cause the
minute I saw my card was messed with, I"d have MC and Visa allll over their
butts A collector could require some sort of info from a dealer, like his
merchant number or something or ID to make themselves feel better, but a
collector might have a temporary hassle if someone did wrong, but he'd be
reimbursed. That's why I don't suggest using a debit card since that COULD
cause problems.
Lynne

Old November 20th 04, 11:01 PM
Beamer

Lets be very realistic about this topic and finally put this to rest.
This has nothing to do with selling the "best" items on ebay or at the
shows. It has nothing to do with bringing your garbage to a show or
listing it on ebay. The bottom line is that collectors have it easy at
home shopping from the comfort of their computer chair. Click and buy.
No gas, no traffic, no hotel, no bad weather. In some cases it makes
sense, but to those of us that bring the "best" (and the worst)of
everything to a show only to have a poor turnout can only be blamed on
the Internet. You cant blame it on the economy because if you track the
sales on ebay, cards are selling for unheard of prices and people are
coughing up tons of $$$ to buy what the want. Before the Internet, the
lines would be out the door an hour before the start of a show and
collectors would even pay extra for the "early in" to get the best picks
from the dealers. Collectors would be sitting on the floor for hours
trading amongst themselves and having a great time making a sweet deal
go their way. Remember the late 90's when Parsippany or Philly or even
the Nassau Coliseum collectible extravaganza would bring thousands of
collectors, not a couple of hundred.
So lets put the blame right where it belongs, no more dancing around
the truth. Not on the dealers who pick and choose the cards they sell
at a show or even on ebay. If the Internet was disconnected tomorrow,
where would you go to get your Buffy cards, or that LOTR pieceworks card
that you desperately wanted, or the Disney binder to store the card in.
You would either support your local card store, or you would be
standing in line in the snow, rain or sunshine at your local card show
in any city across the country spending your cash a dealers table who
took the time to bring it there for you to see and buy.
Michael

Old November 21st 04, 04:39 AM
NobleGB

Well said - sorta in a nutshell...........

Dave Grimes
Check out my WEB Page at
http://members.aol.com/noblegb/page/text.html

Old November 21st 04, 08:56 AM
MIKZCARDZ

From: Beamer
Date: 11/20/2004 5:01 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

:::APPLAUSE:::

New York Rocks!!!

mike
www.mikzcardz.com
Old November 21st 04, 04:56 PM
Jon Doyle

Hey, let's be realistic here. . . simply said you can't compare the
heyday of the '90s to today. You are leaving out the massive industry
crash that still hasn't been recovered from.

But I agree -- let's but this to rest. . . it's been a bunch of dealers
vs a handful of collectors.

My final point -- if the internet is causing such a poor turnout at
shows why are both San Diego and Wizard World Chicago reporting record
attendance every year? Clearly people are willing to go to shows . . .
but that question is rhetorical.

Jon