"Nature of Amarica" sheets on cover - how?

Old February 3rd 05, 05:13 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

Default "Nature of Amarica" sheets on cover - how?

I would like to create a cover using the upcoming US "Northeast
Deciduous Forest" sheet, P/O the "Nature of Amarica" series. This will
have a single design over the entire sheet, with 10 individual die-cut
stamps scattered over it. All self-adhesive.

Can people tell me what methods they have used to attach an entire
sheet like this to a cover? I can see a few possiblities:

1) Carefully peeling off the entire backing paper w/o separating
any stamps and applying the (hopefully) fully intact front to
the cover using the self-stick glue.

2) Using glue to attach the whole sheet, including the backing
paper, to the cover

Does anyone have any better ideas?

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old February 5th 05, 02:36 AM
Ada Prill

I have NOT tried this myself, but I have been told that if one puts multiple
strips of peelable tape across the stamps on such a sheet (on the front),
temporarily holding them in place with respect to the surrounding paper,
that it becomes much easier to peel the backing away without dislodging the
stamps from their position on the sheetlet. As soon as the intact sheetlet
is attached to a cover, remove the peelable tape so it doesn't stick itself
down more firmly.

As I said, I haven't tried it, but it seems worth considering.

Ada

Old February 5th 05, 02:53 AM
John DeBoo

I would be inclined to remove the backing along the top inch or so and
attach the SA portion of the sheet to the HUGE cover, then work my way
down slowly peeling the backing from under the entire sheet and away
from the top and pressing the SA part down as I go. I would think that
if you go slowly the stamps alignment with their surrounding selvege (or
whatever you call it) would remain intact and it should transfer
nicely. A peel and press method, until you've reached the bottom. I'd
be very leary of placing anything on the face of the stamps.

I suspect if you try to peel it all off the backing that the stamps will
fall out of place.

You could glue the backing to the cover but each individual stamp is
easily removable, unless thats what you intend.

John

Old February 26th 05, 10:19 AM
Paul Edney

Removing the backing paper and then applying the whole sheet to a cover
is very tricky.
The best and quickest method I have found is to sandpaper the backing
paper. Sandpaper an inch or so in from the edges and then some spots in
the middle, no need to sandpaper 100% of the surface. Then apply
archival type glue. Since the backing now has a rough surface, it will
stick to the envelope easily and not peel.

Cheers,

Paul
Old February 26th 05, 01:55 PM
Lloyd de Vries

I missed the first message, but I would never use sandpaper and glue!

Here's the method I used for the Lunar New Year souvenir sheets: I
applied Scotch "Post-It" removable tape across the block of stamps, to
keep the stamps together and with the surrounding selvage.

Then I carefully peeled the sheet away from the backing paper,
starting at the edge.

I've also found that working upside down -- that is, with the stamps
face down on the table, and peeling the backing paper up and away from
the stamps -- works better than pulling on the selvage and stamps.

Lloyd A. de Vries
Dragon Cards
www.dm.net/~lloyd
Old February 28th 05, 01:57 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
Lloyd de Vries wrote:
I missed the first message, but I would never use sandpaper and glue!

Here's the method I used for the Lunar New Year souvenir sheets: I
applied Scotch "Post-It" removable tape across the block of stamps, to
keep the stamps together and with the surrounding selvage.

Then I carefully peeled the sheet away from the backing paper,
starting at the edge.

I've also found that working upside down -- that is, with the stamps
face down on the table, and peeling the backing paper up and away from
the stamps -- works better than pulling on the selvage and stamps.

As the one who originally asked the question, thanks!

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer